Supermicro Twin Server Motherboard, easy to run solo?

smangular

Nov 11, 2010
I saw deals for the Supermicro Twin Motherboards X8DTT-F (Dual LGA1366 DDR3 $30). However, the supermicro manual talks about both SSI Standard Power Connectors and 20-pin Proprietary Power Connectors. So is this something that would be easy to rewire with a 6" ATX power extension cable?

Seams like a nice value but I'm not sure how much work it would be to get it running solo outside the normal twin or quad node chassis.

Supermicro X8DTT-F

$_57.JPG

Typically installed two or four nodes per server like this:
SC827_spec_261x261.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
If you can get power running to it, it'd work. But it's probably easier to find a matching "proper" enclosure and PSU. If you have rackmounting space.

It's nonstandard size, etc., which means it's likely not going to be easy to find an enclosure for unless you want to BYO, too. Again, pain in the butt. And rackmount units like that generally have airflow "expectations" that normal ATX rigs don't. Like, approximately ALL of the airflow.

In a completely custom showpiece PC, it might be useful. Otherwise... meh. Especially when there are normal ATX dual 1366 boards on eBay for not too much money. (And then you can use standard case components and save a lot of agony.)

smangular

Nov 11, 2010
Yeah I was thinking of mounting it on plywood in the basement. $45 delivered is attractive.
alternatively ebay also has LGA2011 "OEM Server Motherboard Intel C602" for just $110. Standard EATX. The manufacture is not named.

Last edited: