Super Tuesday. February 5, 2008. Democrats.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem
The ND seat could be vulnerable if the Repubs hit hard, but at the same time that could back fire since the guy is sick.

the north dakota is not vulnurable. The next time the republicans have a shot to win a seat from here is when oneof the current delegation dies or retires.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
You are not in touch with reality if you believe that. You have no clue about what kind of economy we are heading into in 2008. It's going to be 'the economy, stupid' all over again, with exactly the same outcome, President Clinton. Republicans have no chance. None, zippo. Their only shot at not having Hillary as president is if Obama beats her in the primary.
The Democrats need independent voters to win in 2008, as do the Republicans.

Obama is causing a surge of interest across independents in supporting a Democrat candidate...I think the Democrats lose that if they nominate Hillary.

There is nothing exciting about a Hillary Presidency.

im a pretty liberal type of guy, and i would rather see McCain, or even paul or huck than hillary. Nominating Hillary is suicide.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Hillary is the only candidate who could guarantee a McCain victory. I am sickened... the saddest thing about it is that the far left would be throwing away the Dem hopes... for a candidate who is more conservative than most of the Republicans. This is tragic. 4 more years! ... in Iraq. :(

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Obama can gather not only Democrats behind him but also Independants, en if McCain doesn't win the nomination also a lot of Republican voters. The only close call he can get is if McCain is his opponent, otherwise he'll be a sure win for the Democrats.

Hillary cannot do that. The only chance she has if she gets the nomination is that 9/11 wins the Republican one, and that people find him even scarier. But even then she isn't assured of a victory.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
You are not in touch with reality if you believe that. You have no clue about what kind of economy we are heading into in 2008. It's going to be 'the economy, stupid' all over again, with exactly the same outcome, President Clinton. Republicans have no chance. None, zippo. Their only shot at not having Hillary as president is if Obama beats her in the primary.
The Democrats need independent voters to win in 2008, as do the Republicans.

Obama is causing a surge of interest across independents in supporting a Democrat candidate...I think the Democrats lose that if they nominate Hillary.

There is nothing exciting about a Hillary Presidency.

Unless she has a male friend on the side...heheeee

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Why is the Democrat party referred to as "democrats," but the Republican party referred to as "GOP?"

Why not just call it the republican party?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Many months ago lots of these basic total speculation threads on how "the people" would vote in the far distant future was all we had to vent our fantasies. And just like the man created God argument, funny thing the "the people" each poster describes looks and behaves just like the poster themselves.

Now that we have the first two under our belt and we get lots of mixed messages from actual VOTERS AFTER THEY VOTED, we find speculation never tops the REAL THING.

But we have a few leisurely primaries left to go to maybe get a picture of what the trend lines are shaping up to be, threads about super Tuesday just don't taste right to me.

The time of speculation is ended, now only results matter. The future comes at us fast, there will be plenty of time to interpret super Tuesday AFTER it happens.

Or put another way, don't rush me, I am still trying to figure out why most of the residents of Iowa and New Hampshire should not be sent to the nearest mental facility for that sanity test.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp
Why is the Democrat party referred to as "democrats," but the Republican party referred to as "GOP?"

Why not just call it the republican party?

some sort of post civil war tradition.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Rainsford
McCain/Huckabee for the win...

McCain has the experience and appeals to independents.
Huckabee brings the evangelical base.

For the Republicans I think it is the best option right now.
I really think we could do without the "evangelical base" being at the core of the Republican support for another election cycle. Not only is that of dubious electoral value, but it will piss the hell out of folks without that particular religious bent. Part of McCain's appeal is that he seems like a Republican a non-Republican can get behind, Huckabee would totally screw that up if you ask me.
You may be right, but with Huckabee as VP he really can't do any harm. That is the beauty of my idea. He gets votes, but can't cause any harm via his religious views or his social liberalism.

McCain is 71 years old, making him the oldest person ever inaugurated as president. Huckabee is a heart attack away from being president.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Choosing Hillary as the Democrat nominee essentially guarantees at least another four years of the GOP running the show. I just hope you know that...

If you don't, I can deal with McCain or Huckabee at the helm... but can you?

Please be smart. Pick Obama for '08. Then we ALL win...

I concur. I predicted last spring that Bush would leave the White House with about 10 % popularity figures and the economy in a recession. This won't be a normal recession, but like the housing bubble, it will be easily the worst since the Great Depression.

It is interesting to see that Bush, and the Plunge Protection Team, is now planning to 'Helicopter' money on the US people to keep the economy going for just a bit longer - say over the election.

But if the recession bites for real in November, Hillary or whichever Dem candidate, will sweep the floor with the Republicans.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
A problem with the Super Tuesday results, is that instead of 3 motnhs or presidentail baloney being thrown at us, there will be 8 months that we all have to endure.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Well her winning the democratic nomination, guarantee's that we will have another republican president....

Good going Hildabeast...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Choosing Hillary as the Democrat nominee essentially guarantees at least another four years of the GOP running the show. I just hope you know that...

99.9999999999999999% of all republicans will line up in droves to vote for anyone but Hillary

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: tw1164
Originally posted by: Rainsford
McCain/Huckabee for the win...

McCain has the experience and appeals to independents.
Huckabee brings the evangelical base.

For the Republicans I think it is the best option right now.
I really think we could do without the "evangelical base" being at the core of the Republican support for another election cycle. Not only is that of dubious electoral value, but it will piss the hell out of folks without that particular religious bent. Part of McCain's appeal is that he seems like a Republican a non-Republican can get behind, Huckabee would totally screw that up if you ask me.
You may be right, but with Huckabee as VP he really can't do any harm. That is the beauty of my idea. He gets votes, but can't cause any harm via his religious views or his social liberalism.

McCain is 71 years old, making him the oldest person ever inaugurated as president. Huckabee is a heart attack away from being president.

WHich is why Hillary can beat him. She would be smart to tap Obama for her VP too. A women and a black on the same ticket. Goodbye GOP and Hello to the new Dem Dynasty. That's the erral reason all the righties are so scared of hillary, they see the pendulum swinging back to the left and a Hillary/Obama ticket could give it the momentum it needs to keep swinging that way.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare

99.9999999999999999% of all republicans will line up in droves to vote for anyone but Hillary

LOL, does "anybody but Bush" ring a bell?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Don't get so excited Hillary fans.

Nevada and South Carolina are coming first. Lots of Latinos and Black voters. Hillary won't do well with those bases.

It's 1-1 thus far. Let's see how the scale tips :laugh:

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

I didn't vote for him and I am a registered republican. I did vote for his father though.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well her winning the democratic nomination, guarantee's that we will have another republican president....

Good going Hildabeast...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with that logic is that GWB is so bad, no matter who the dems run, they will win
simply by saying----I am not from the GOP and I am not related to GWB.

And worse yet, the GOP are very slow learners. The message of Iowa is that the voters want change. And change does not mean keep lockstep supporting GWB which the GOP is doing.

Of course the GOP has another option its totally forgotten. You know, that little detail and triviality they have neglected for seven years.

ITS CALLED DELIVER RESULTS. If the GOP can't, say hello Hillary or hello whomever the dems choose as your next President.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

I didn't vote for him and I am a registered republican. I did vote for his father though.

I never siad you did or meant to imply that you did? I'm just saying the "anybody but Bush" strategy didn't work and I have no reason to believe that a "anybody but Hillary" strategy will either.

In fact, I think a Hillary/Obama ticket would be almost unbeatable. I think Obama would be happy as VP? If Obama wins the D nomination I don't think Hillary would agree to be on his ticket. I also don't think she would be the right choice for him as VP.