Super Mario bros on Nintendo ds lite

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: EKKCquestion for you all: does the game save automatically? i always leave the mushroom houses trail unopened because i tend to need them to save the game. the only time they ask you is if you beat a castle for the first time or opening a new trail using the special coins. it seems weird that you cannot save anytime you want on a map... if you hit quit, they say "unsaved progress will be lost"

There are two ways to "save" the game in NSMB. The 1st one is soft safe, which can be accomplished w/ all DS games by simply closing the DS. The 2nd is using your special coins to open a route to a mushroom house, which will cause a save screen to pop up.

Originally posted by: Dacalo
Owners of Mario Bros.:

How does the size of the game compare with Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES)? I have the game with me, but the DS Lite is scheduled to be delivered later today.

NSMB is very short compared to the 2 games you mentioned. I think it took me roughly 8 hours to beat NSMB.
You can also save anywhere on the main map after you've beaten the game once. I think it's supposed to entice you to play it again...

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Originally posted by: mcvickj
I'm currently on the last world. I just beat the boss in the castle and and opened up the path to the final castle. Been going back and collecting any missing coins from the previous worlds. Still trying to figure out how to unlock the two worlds. I'll try what Baked said about World 7. Not sure about the other one.

I dropped a nuclear F bomb when that happend to me. Beat bowser jr. "YES! I BEAT IT" then the path opened up the final castle "F&*$!!!!! MORE?!?"

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: eldorado99
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: waggy
but yeah the new super mario is great. havent got world 4 and 7 open yet (stuck on 5). as it is 5 is kicking my ass.

I beat the game last night. I thought this is child's play compared to the original Super Mario Bros. I unlocked world 4 by beating the world 2 boss as mini mario. I've been trying to unlock world 7. To do this, you need to once again play as mini mario and go into the ghost house. To the far right of the 2nd red button, instead of going into the tube, you'll have to "bounce jump" up the wall and to the ledge on the upper right hand corner. There's just 1 catch: the damn ghost that's chasing you around. I will try again tonight.
I don't know if you played "Lost Levels" from way back, which was supposed to be Mario 2 in Japan, but not released in the US until much later and titled differently because it was "Too hard for Americans". Anyway it was much, much harder than the original Mario Bros. I suggest you try it out if you're looking for a challenge. I have beat it twice personally, but don't dare put myself through that punishment again, bring your patience, you'll need as much as you can muster! :)

yeah i remember the lost levels. it was great.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Man this game is like crack!

I keep trying to get my fiancee to put down Brain Age so I can get my Mario time in.

I swear I'll die like 5 times on one board then go for a whole world without dieing once.

I think I'm going to just play straight through and beat it then go back and get all the hidden worlds etc.. so I can at least save when I want.

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
This game becomes insanely hard when this is turned on. :D

Ok, maybe not insanely, but it makes it more interesting. :)

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
I keep hearing people say this game is easy, well not for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older but damn, this game is kicking my ass. But not so much that it's ever not fun. And the minigames are pretty fun also. Get the game and the DS, you'll love it.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Abel007

:Q I didn't even go back to get all the coins yet! Do you get anything for that?

LanceM

Mar 13, 2004
When I first bought my DS Lite, the screen felt a little weird. I hadn't owned a handheld since the original GameBoy, so I was worried that my eyes were getting too old. Now I don't even think about it. I can play any game on there without any problems whatsoever.

The length of NSMB is definitely adequate, and the alternate exits/star coins add enough replay value. Plus, some of the mini games are quite fun. I will absolutely be playing this straight through a second time in a few months (I still need to get a few star coins, of course).

It's so difficult to compare this to earlier Mario titles, because they've been classics for such a long time. Time will tell if this is a true classic or not, but I absolutely have ZERO regrets about paying full price (and I almost *never* pay full price for a new game).

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Otaking

:Q I didn't even go back to get all the coins yet! Do you get anything for that?

Just adds a level of difficulty from what I can tell.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Otaking

i got all the coins last night. most of the time, i beat the stage, and if i didn't get all 3 coins i would immediately replay it to get the missing coins. but i did have to go back to 8-5 and 8-8 to get the special coins with the infinite mushroom houses after beating the game because you need to be mini mario.
you dont get anything except you get to spend them all, if you beat the game, 1-purple mushroom you can spend 80 coins just to change the touch screen backgrounds.

i spent them all, nothing happened, except now i get 3 stars next to my save file.

i hope there's some secret worlds to this game :(

now back to finishing mario kart ds...

CocoGdog

May 31, 2000
Does everyone know the good ol turtle trick? It still works on this game but you're limited to 100 extra lives....

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CocoGdog
Does everyone know the good ol turtle trick? It still works on this game but you're limited to 100 extra lives....

yeah. i do it whenever i get to around 20 lives heh.

I finally opened up every world but 8! got 4 and 7 (found a warp cannon to 7). With me and my wife playing it all the time it was well worth the money we paid! I love this style of mario games heh

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
What's the turtle trick? My friend taught me the trick in SMB3 where you get the feather and on 1-2 i think it is you go next the the T pipe that spits out the badguys and you let them build up a little and then you keep jumping on their heads. It takes two times to do it (not enough time) to get 99 lives.

CocoGdog

May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: MangoTBG
What's the turtle trick? My friend taught me the trick in SMB3 where you get the feather and on 1-2 i think it is you go next the the T pipe that spits out the badguys and you let them build up a little and then you keep jumping on their heads. It takes two times to do it (not enough time) to get 99 lives.

The turtle trick is the oldest trick in the book.