Super Mario bros on Nintendo ds lite

jagga

Sep 20, 2002
I am thinking about buying a DS Lite and Super Mario bros. Costco has the bundle in-store. I was wondering if this game has any online gameplay associated with it? I have heard/read a lot about the wifi capability of DS and would like to try it out.

Thanks!

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
No, I don't believe so. If you want to have fun online with a DS get Mario Kart and Metroid.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
nope

though if you have a friend you can battle. just not real "online" play.

CocoGdog

May 31, 2000
New Super Mario Bros. is fun. There should be some wifi mini-games, but I haven't tried to connect yet.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CocoGdog
New Super Mario Bros. is fun. There should be some wifi mini-games, but I haven't tried to connect yet.

i dont think the mini-games are true wifi. as in you can't play with someone in california if i am in chicago. but if you have 4 friends over with ds's you can play.

but yeah the new super mario is great. havent got world 4 and 7 open yet (stuck on 5). as it is 5 is kicking my ass.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
but yeah the new super mario is great. havent got world 4 and 7 open yet (stuck on 5). as it is 5 is kicking my ass.

I beat the game last night. I thought this is child's play compared to the original Super Mario Bros. I unlocked world 4 by beating the world 2 boss as mini mario. I've been trying to unlock world 7. To do this, you need to once again play as mini mario and go into the ghost house. To the far right of the 2nd red button, instead of going into the tube, you'll have to "bounce jump" up the wall and to the ledge on the upper right hand corner. There's just 1 catch: the damn ghost that's chasing you around. I will try again tonight.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
Originally posted by: waggy

I beat the game last night. I thought this is child's play compared to the original Super Mario Bros. I unlocked world 4 by beating the world 2 boss as mini mario. I've been trying to unlock world 7. To do this, you need to once again play as mini mario and go into the ghost house. To the far right of the 2nd red button, instead of going into the tube, you'll have to "bounce jump" up the wall and to the ledge on the upper right hand corner. There's just 1 catch: the damn ghost that's chasing you around. I will try again tonight.
I don't know if you played "Lost Levels" from way back, which was supposed to be Mario 2 in Japan, but not released in the US until much later and titled differently because it was "Too hard for Americans". Anyway it was much, much harder than the original Mario Bros. I suggest you try it out if you're looking for a challenge. I have beat it twice personally, but don't dare put myself through that punishment again, bring your patience, you'll need as much as you can muster! :)

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Tetris DS has online play, too.

I'm addicted to this simple, yet frustrating game :(

I also :heart: my DS lites! (one for me, one for the GF, MULTI-PLAY AHOY!!)

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Why don't you go to a store and try out instead of asking here? The DS (and Lite) has sold millions and millions of units, I don't think the screen is an "issue."

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
i am up to world 8-5 on my NSMB game
got all the special coins for worlds 1-6 ;)

question for you all: does the game save automatically? i always leave the mushroom houses trail unopened because i tend to need them to save the game. the only time they ask you is if you beat a castle for the first time or opening a new trail using the special coins. it seems weird that you cannot save anytime you want on a map... if you hit quit, they say "unsaved progress will be lost"

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
I'm currently on the last world. I just beat the boss in the castle and and opened up the path to the final castle. Been going back and collecting any missing coins from the previous worlds. Still trying to figure out how to unlock the two worlds. I'll try what Baked said about World 7. Not sure about the other one.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Owners of Mario Bros.:

How does the size of the game compare with Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES)? I have the game with me, but the DS Lite is scheduled to be delivered later today.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: mcvickj
I'm currently on the last world. I just beat the boss in the castle and and opened up the path to the final castle. Been going back and collecting any missing coins from the previous worlds. Still trying to figure out how to unlock the two worlds. I'll try what Baked said about World 7. Not sure about the other one.

use a small mushroom to become mini mario, then beat the bosses in world 2 and 5 castles to go to world 4 and 7

the world 5 ghost house baked talked about is merely a warp / extra exit on the ghost house, if i remembered correctly. you have to lure the big ghosts to the left switch before heading back and wall jump as mini mario (agian i am not sure about this, don't have a DS at work.... :()

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Owners of Mario Bros.:

How does the size of the game compare with Mario Bros 3 (NES) and Super Mario World (SNES)? I have the game with me, but the DS Lite is scheduled to be delivered later today.

its comparable, in number of stages, to mario bros 3. if you unlock the A, B and C secret stages / alternative paths

the actual physical stages are bigger like SMW though

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: EKKCquestion for you all: does the game save automatically? i always leave the mushroom houses trail unopened because i tend to need them to save the game. the only time they ask you is if you beat a castle for the first time or opening a new trail using the special coins. it seems weird that you cannot save anytime you want on a map... if you hit quit, they say "unsaved progress will be lost"

There are two ways to "save" the game in NSMB. The 1st one is soft safe, which can be accomplished w/ all DS games by simply closing the DS. The 2nd is using your special coins to open a route to a mushroom house, which will cause a save screen to pop up.

Originally posted by: Dacalo
Owners of Mario Bros.:

NSMB is very short compared to the 2 games you mentioned. I think it took me roughly 8 hours to beat NSMB.

Originally posted by: mcvickj

For more details on unlocking world 5 and 7, check out IGN's NSMB guide.