"Super Dell"

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Alright, so here in Salt Lake City, we have a local computer store called "Totally Awesome Computers." Their advertisements are insane (their owner "Super Dell" Schanze just rants and raves in them), but the store is spreading like wildfire. Anyway, their owner is being charged with reckless driving and threating with a firearm. For more information on the charges, check out the link for the story and an interview. The video is in the upper right corner ("Super Dell's" interview starts almost exactly halfway through it).

Super Dell

Anyway, we always thought his commercials were just an act, but in this news interview...well, you'll see. The guy is officially insane.

Cliffs:
Psycho local business owner charged with reckless driving and threating with a firearm.
Watch the video.

Update:
Here's some history of "Super Dell" and his rap sheet.
Link

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah. He sucks. Mr. "We build the best computers ever because we 'won' the Nvidia challenge to make the fastest SLI computer for THE PRICE". If you check out Nvidia's website you see that his computer is cheap, but it is spanked by the other competitors on the benchmark. They only won because of the price.

He's a douche.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
That's what we all thought when he would do his commericials...but I'm inclined to believe that's who he really is. Why in the world would you try to act like that in an interview with so much at stake (e.g. his business).

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
He's got a point if his story is true.. I doubt those three witnesses are trained at calculating the speed of a moving vehicle without a radar/laser... sure he was probably going fast, but to block him off and threaten him? Sh!t, I'd pull out my gun, too!
Of course, he seems mental, so he could be making it up.. who knows.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
While I'd agree he's nuts it sounds like he was carrying legally. Utah is a shall issue state, & he wasn't charged with anything that would correspond with carrying illegally.

Sounds like the only question is whether or not he was right to feel threatened. I would likely respond the same way if multiple people came at me. Hell just one guy with a brick & he's going to get that.

Then again I wouldn't have been driving like a douchebag in the first place.

Viper GTS

Toki

Jan 30, 2004
from what ive seen on the news (I too live near SLC) it looks like hes just acting crazy on tv to get some more publicity. but i wouldnt be supprised if he is a bit crazy all the time.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
I thought you guys would more enjoy his antics than anything...but, one of the reasons it is a big deal is his previous history. Needless to say, it is quite long with weapons (even a pipe bomb), and he has several driving misdemeanors. I really care about the case, I just think it's funny how whacked out this guy is.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Toki
from what ive seen on the news (I too live near SLC) it looks like hes just acting crazy on tv to get some more publicity. but i wouldnt be supprised if he is a bit crazy all the time.

Heh, my roommate has a yorkie named Toki.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: msparish
I thought you guys would more enjoy his antics than anything...but, one of the reasons it is a big deal is his previous history. Needless to say, it is quite long with weapons (even a pipe bomb), and he has several driving misdemeanors. I really care about the case, I just think it's funny how whacked out this guy is.

If he has prior weapons convictions how is he legally able to own a gun (let alone carry)?

Viper GTS

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
This is part of an article concerning his history from yesterday's Salt Lake Tribune.
Link

Dell Buck Schanze - owner of the Totally Awesome group of computer stores, a flying sports outfitter and a shooting range - has a history of speeding, reckless driving and weapons citations.

The list of charges, which includes at least one felony, 24 misdemeanors and five infractions, shows a pattern of behavior similar to an incident last month in Draper in which Schanze allegedly brandished a handgun after residents confronted him for allegedly speeding through their neighborhood.

The 30 charges on Schanze's rap sheet occurred in Utah between 1991 and 2000. Most were dismissed or reduced to lesser counts after Schanze pleaded guilty or paid a fine, according to court records.

But now, after more than five years of staying out of trouble with the law, Schanze faces one class A misdemeanor count of threatening with or using a dangerous weapon in a fight, and a class B misdemeanor of reckless driving for the May 21 Draper incident.

Panthro

May 11, 2004

Before you start spreading lies and rumors, I sugest you go do some research on his public record.

I listened to an interview of Super Dell on a local talk radio station and he explained his past and to an extent what happened that day with the 3 guys. I frankly believed him.

What you hear on the tv news stations is nothing but false alegations and an attack on a high profile person in Utah.

He never showed his gun. He reached for it to make sure it was accesible not showing it at all.

That thing with the "pipe bomb" was false as well. He was testing a model rocket in his front yard and it went off.

If 3 guys were coming at me in a threating manner, I would do the same thing.

Again, before you start regurgitating what is said on the tv stations, you might want to do your research on his public record.

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Panthro

Before you start spreading lies and rumors, I sugest you go do some research on his public record.

I listened to an interview of Super Dell on a local talk radio station and he explained his past and to an extent what happened that day with the 3 guys. I frankly believed him.

What you hear on the tv news stations is nothing but false alegations and an attack on a high profile person in Utah.

He never showed his gun. He reached for it to make sure it was accesible not showing it at all.

That thing with the "pipe bomb" was false as well. He was testing a model rocket in his front yard and it went off.

Again, before you start regurgitating what is said on the tv stations, you might want to do your research on his public record.

I don't doubt that some of those things have been blown out of proportion, but you do not get 30 charges against you if you aren't doing something wrong. I do applaud that he hasn't had one for about five years. However, like I said, this is more about his crazy, off the wall, in your face interview.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
After all these years, I was wondering what ever happened to Vanilla Ice. Now I know it.

Panthro

May 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Panthro

I don't doubt that some of those things have been blown out of proportion, but you do not get 30 charges against you if you aren't doing something wrong. I do applaud that he hasn't had one for about five years. However, like I said, this is more about his crazy, off the wall, in your face interview.

He explained those "30 charges" as well in the interview I heard this morning. Those charges were dropped because they were crazy charges that would not hold up in court. So the court plea bargained and they dropped the charges but not until they collected their "fee" and sent him on his way.

Let me put it this way with Dell. He has a personality that attracts people. That is why his commercials are crazy but very effective at selling his products and services. He also gave an example of a time he was in grade school. The whole class was talking and being roudy but he got in trouble because he has a distinct voice and personality that people are drawn to.

If he has prior weapons convictions how is he legally able to own a gun (let alone carry)?

Answer: He has no weapons convictions. When you apply for a CCWP, you go through a extensive background check through the FBI. They don't give CCWPs away and you can't own a gun shop (which he owns one) with weapons convictions.

This is all just the anti-gun media demonizing gun owners.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have been 'clocked' at 80 mph in my residental neighborhood....actual speed the limit, but due to my car idiots ASSume.

Funny thing is most of these same ppl have SUV's they defintely are speeding through (one of this asshats took out a mailbox one night)...

anyway if I was pulled over my motorists and one picked up a large rock...I'd have laid him out especially with kid or animal in the car.

If I was packing, when the big rock was picked up you could be sure I would have cambered a load. My response would be to just 'drop the rock and back away.'

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
If three guys, one weilding a rock, approached my car with my daughter inside, threatening to do harm to the vehicle...you bet my ass I'd reach for my gun.

WTF are you pussies thinking? Since when is it okay sit back and watch three guys commit road rage against you when your children are by your side?

msparish

Aug 27, 2003
Just to set the record straight, I probably would have done the exact same thing. I just think the interview was classic. As for "Super Dell", you aren't going to get 30 charges against you unless you are doing something wrong.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
If three guys, one weilding a rock, approached my car with my daughter inside, threatening to do harm to the vehicle...you bet my ass I'd reach for my gun.

WTF are you pussies thinking? Since when is it okay sit back and watch three guys commit road rage against you when your children are by your side?

A 'Pussy' here thinks I can take care of that matter without a gun. That 'gun attitude' is real 'pussy''s attitude.

EDIT: BTW, If I was Super Dell, I would've done what he'd done as I'm technically hanicapped.

Panthro

May 11, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I have been 'clocked' at 80 mph in my residental neighborhood....actual speed the limit, but due to my car idiots ASSume.

Funny thing is most of these same ppl have SUV's they defintely are speeding through (one of this asshats took out a mailbox one night)...

anyway if I was pulled over my motorists and one picked up a large rock...I'd have laid him out especially with kid or animal in the car.

If I was packing, when the big rock was picked up you could be sure I would have cambered a load. My response would be to just 'drop the rock and back away.'

That's what happened. He had his hands on his gun and they knew he was a permit holder and their demeanor changed. They backed off and no one was hurt.

I will also mention that Dell was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago that really messed him up physically i.e. section of his spine fused together. So at 150lbs. and physical handicaps, he was at a severe disadvantage.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
Originally posted by: jpeyton

A 'Pussy' here thinks I can take care of that matter without a gun. That 'gun attitude' is real 'pussy''s attitude.

hmm not so idiot. What if 5 guys get out of 'da escalade that has cut you off repeatedly and then get out.

I don't pack, but I do carry a blunt repellant.

if I would have been carrying a sidearm, there would have been at least a half dozen times I would have been warranted in shooting someone.

Depends totally on where you live, your financial status, and how well the chick in your ride looks undressed ;)