super cold, SARS, don't travel to HK, China, &Viet Nam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
if this type of flu happened in the US our sensationalist media would jump all over it claiming how it must be resistant because of all the phony anti-bacterial products we buy and how over-medication bred the new resistant strain. well if it hasnt already happened lets hope it doesnt...

the last flu like this was the Spanish Influenza in WWI that killed like 20 million people worldwide, twice that of the actual war itself but it wasnt talked about much since the media focused on war. coincidently, the media is focusing on a new war right now, they shove all ebolas and flus into the last 15 seconds of the news segment

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: krackato
You don't watch TV?!

So, basically, with all the free time he has from not watching TV he now spends annoying people about how he does not own a TV?

I have 6 TVs, and I live alone. total amount of time watching "news"; sports; retard tv (talk shows) = 0, zip, nada

ViperV990

May 20, 2000
People need to realize that The Onion is a satire magazine...

Anyway, SARS is actually on Yahoo's frontpage right now.

volant

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BCskunk
Originally posted by: tkimball
Listening to NPR this morning, they reported that SARS has been rampant in China since November. They just didn't tell anyone about it...

dude...in november everyone just thought it was a kind of flu...they didnt know it was inaffective against antibiotics.. and it wasnt even serious then....so why would CHina want to tell everyone? and cause a world panic?

theres no need to.

lets say ur family caught a cold.....do u warn and tell everyone else? no u dont

I just came back from China/HK. Let me say that poeple there aren't really scare yet when I left HK 3 days ago. If I had known that Beijing had 7xx cases already I would have cancelled my trip. Chinese gov. insured the world that SARS was only in Canton just a few days ago. Yesterday in Los Angeles chinese news paper, chinese gov REPORTED 7xx some cases in Beijing. I am sure there are thousands more cases not reported to the public. Now I am super pissed off at chinese goverment. I had to cut my trip short bcause I didn't want to stay in HK, taiwan and vietnam. If they had reported it to the world back in Nov. I would not have plan a trip to asia. Hong Kong reported it after only the first 15 or 30 cases. When I was in china all they reported was that there are SARS in HK nothing about china itself. Now I have 4 x2 useless plane tickets because i had to void them in order to use the last one in the series for the return flight back to the US.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: cnwk64
If you don't knwo what SARS is, take look here
currently, there are 1408 case worldwide.
and more than 50 people dead!!
I think the number is way underestimate, since SARS's early stage is much like flu, most people don't bother to seek medical help.
CDC has issue Health Alert Notice for International Travelers Arriving in or Returning to the USA From Hong Kong and Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China, and Hanoi, Vietnam.

edit: it should be in OT, oh... too much beer........

like I ever wanted to go there in the first place
lol

infostate

May 2, 2001
We should be really serious about this. It's becoming rampant soon in USA, eapecilly in souther Cal, the gatway of the Pacific.

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
if this type of flu happened in the US our sensationalist media would jump all over it claiming how it must be resistant because of all the phony anti-bacterial products we buy and how over-medication bred the new resistant strain.

flu = viral not bacterial

infostate

May 2, 2001
We shall avoid cinema and restaurants now. see the news below.

"NEW YORK -- Five city residents may have contracted a mysterious respiratory illness that has killed more than 50 people around the world, health officials announced Friday.

The five are among at least 50 suspected cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, being monitored nationwide by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There have been no deaths from SARS in the United States.

Four of the five were treated at unidentified city hospitals and released, said Dr. Michael Phillips, a city Health Department epidemiologist. One patient remains hospitalized in good condition.

There is currently no evidence of SARS transmission in the city, the Health Department said.

The New York victims, whose names and ages were not released, all began exhibiting flu-like symptoms after visiting Hong Kong or China's Guangdong province, which had a suspected SARS outbreak in November that sickened 300 people and killed five."

Madcowz

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2000
I contracted it about 11 days ago (not confirmed SARS, but 90% certain), at which point like 12 or so in the US had it... it REALLY sucked and I'm still recovering. Don't think this isn't a serious problem, b/c anyone could easily catch it

link

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: cnwk64
If you don't knwo what SARS is, take look here
currently, there are 1408 case worldwide.
and more than 50 people dead!!
I think the number is way underestimate, since SARS's early stage is much like flu, most people don't bother to seek medical help.
CDC has issue Health Alert Notice for International Travelers Arriving in or Returning to the USA From Hong Kong and Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China, and Hanoi, Vietnam.

edit: it should be in OT, oh... too much beer........

Man, i was planning to travel back to Vietnam after my graduation. But guess not.