super cheap SDHC card readers ok???

dbarton

Apr 11, 2002

I need a card reader for SD HC cards.

Ebay has *tons* of them from no name brands for under $3 shipped from Hong Kong.

Any of these terrible somehow, or good, or is it so basic anymore that a $3 reader is perfectly ok?

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
I'd look at newegg.com before I went the ebay route. Check newegg and search ebay for the same items. I want to get a card reader for at least one of my desktops (I have 2, one DAW, one general purpose). I want one that handles most current formats, I don't have anything that uses SDHC.

dbarton

Apr 11, 2002
I just went ahead and got a USB card reader from ebay.
$4.59 total, so we'll see what happens.

All the SD cards over 2g are SDHC, so most card readers are too old to read them.

Why do you need a card reader on a DAW machine?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Biggest problem with card readers is reading SDHC. It really pays to read reviews to make sure the reader you purchase works well, some say SDHC support but its picky about on what cards.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Originally posted by: dbarton
I just went ahead and got a USB card reader from ebay.
$4.59 total, so we'll see what happens.

All the SD cards over 2g are SDHC, so most card readers are too old to read them.

Why do you need a card reader on a DAW machine?

If I am copying samples to/from their respective type of media cards for either of my synthesizers. The Roland V-Synth I can copy samples to it via USB but not to the media card itself. Loading newer OS versions onto them, etc...so a reader is beneficial to have. Same for taking photos off camera memory cards. Not that I have a ton of them at the moment.