Sunshine

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Watched it the other night an thought it was pretty good. Haven't seen a space scifi movie of its caliber for a while.

Anyone else here seen it?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
THE SUN IS BEAUTIFUL OH FUCK I'VE GOT SKIN CANCER

it was really good actually.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
I thought it was one of the best movies in the past 5 years.

The story was awesome, the twist was awesome, and the use of silence was awesome.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Danny Boyle/Alex Garland. How can you go wrong?.

I was going to go see it last night, but the damn cat got his tail caught in the door and we had to take him to the emergency vet to get the tip amputated. :(

Oh well, once we're out of debt from the surgery we can go to the movies again...

RyanW2050

Sep 2, 2005
the plot was dumb even from a layman's understanding of the sun.

however it was entertaining.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: RyanW2050
the plot was dumb even from a layman's understanding of the sun.

however it was entertaining.

There was an external cause that wasn't expounded on in the movie.

Basically the sun had become contaminated with a Q-ball that was inhibiting its normal reactions. The purpose of the Icarus mission was to use an incredibly massive nuclear weapon to destroy or displace the Q-ball which would let the sun return to normal.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
Danny Boyle/Alex Garland. How can you go wrong?.

Oh, you CAN go wrong!

I found it quite bad and derivative, it was a big disappointment for me. And the actors didn't move me one bit. This is a 1998 movie, not a 2007 film.

AndeeG

Oct 18, 2006
I thought the beginning was really cool. The imagery was fantastic, the plot was interesting, and the acting was pretty good too. After that it kind of got ridiculous...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

The whole "I'm gonna wrap myself in insulation and fly through space with a little bit of frostbite" part was pretty ridiculous. As soon as they discovered the crazy guy from Icarus 1 the whole movie went downhill. Everyone died too fast and the plot just got a whole lot less interesting.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Agreed, the first hour was very, very good. I was riveted. Once they loaded onto the first ship and found that guy, ugh, downhill from there.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Originally posted by: AndeeG
I thought the beginning was really cool. The imagery was fantastic, the plot was interesting, and the acting was pretty good too. After that it kind of got ridiculous...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

The whole "I'm gonna wrap myself in insulation and fly through space with a little bit of frostbite" part was pretty ridiculous. As soon as they discovered the crazy guy from Icarus 1 the whole movie went downhill. Everyone died too fast and the plot just got a whole lot less interesting.

How long was he out in space unprotected?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

How long was he out in space unprotected?

jonessoda

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2005

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

You know, you don't actually depressurize instantly in space. It's possible to survive up to about 30 seconds in a vacuum, though you'll have some tissue damage.

Also, I thought it was a great movie except for how they turned it into a slasher flick at the end. That just seemed kind of stupid.

AndeeG

Oct 18, 2006
Originally posted by: jonessoda

You know, you don't actually depressurize instantly in space. It's possible to survive up to about 30 seconds in a vacuum, though you'll have some tissue damage.

Also, I thought it was a great movie except for how they turned it into a slasher flick at the end. That just seemed kind of stupid.

Huh. I was under the impression that the zero pressure would pretty much immediately cause one to blow up but that's not really an informed assumption. He was probably floating for like 15 seconds or so.

I definitely agree with you on that part about it turning into a slasher flick. As soon as that guy was introduced it turned into everyone running for their lives before they get slaughtered by him.

Also, another gripe I had was that whole sequence at the very end when the weapon goes off. What is supposed to be happening? There's just sort of a wall of energy or whatever... didn't make much sense to me.

I think the movie had a lot of potential and could have been great but ended up mediocre.

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
Originally posted by: abaez
Agreed, the first hour was very, very good. I was riveted. Once they loaded onto the first ship and found that guy, ugh, downhill from there.
agreed. first half of the movie was great. second half was :roll:

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: jonessoda

Huh. I was under the impression that the zero pressure would pretty much immediately cause one to blow up but that's not really an informed assumption. He was probably floating for like 15 seconds or so.

I definitely agree with you on that part about it turning into a slasher flick. As soon as that guy was introduced it turned into everyone running for their lives before they get slaughtered by him.

Also, another gripe I had was that whole sequence at the very end when the weapon goes off. What is supposed to be happening? There's just sort of a wall of energy or whatever... didn't make much sense to me.

I think the movie had a lot of potential and could have been great but ended up mediocre.

A person can stay concious in space for 15 seconds in space. So its fine.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Great movie till the retarded slasher twist toward the end.

Still a very good movie, but there was absolutely no need for that BS to be added.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The guy said that it was impossible to accurately predict what would happen in the final phase of the mission when they launch the weapon due to the velocity of the payload and the gravity of the sun, basically strange stuff could happen.

That's why they wanted to board Icarus I and see if it still worked in order to have a second shot at the mission if it failed.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
To address a few thing. You don't blow up if you go into outer space. The biggest threat is the water in your body boiling. Frostbite also wouldn't have happened in that amount of time. Our bodies would not lose heat in a vacuum that quickly.

Oxygen bubbies in the blood is what would be the immediate killer in most cases, same issue that divers deal with.

As for the end of the movie with the wall between the explosions and the sun. Just like he talked about earlier in the movie, when space gets distorted in such ways there is no telling what would happen. I thought it was pretty neat. Once again the director went down the path that humans are the biggest threat to humans regardless of outside influences. Just like in 28 days later, we humans eventually solve the problem but we end up being our own worst enemies.....