SunRocket vs. ViaTalk ?

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
I'm fed up with huge bills for my landline + my intl calling plan, I'm going the VOIP tonight.

I ruled out Vonage (rate to my homecountry kills the deal).

So, it will be between SunRocket and Viatalk (same price/intl rate).

As far as I can see, I don't need an extra router for SR's gizmo (Looks like I need one for Viatalk's device) so SR is my first choice as of now.

Any last input from you happy VOIP users ?

By the way... If I go for SR, anybody interested to be a referal customer ?

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
I have had Sunrocket for almost a year and have had zero problems. I haven't had to use their customer service, but I've heard it is questionable.

I'd be happy to be your referral if you want. ;)

bloodthirster

Feb 12, 2001
My friend has Viatalk and has had no problems.

Sunrocket $200 for 15 months.
ViaTalk $200 for 24 months.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
If you can wait a bit on sunrocket, they tend to have half price (1 year for 99 or 2 for 199) around every holiday. However, if you are feeling tricksy, you can call and try to get one of those deals right away. I have had them just over a year and there have been occasional outages but they have been few and I am not bothered by it. Overall, I find their feature set to be pretty good. I believe GeorgePa was the guy's name on here that is the Sunrocket expert.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Right now, viatalk is having a huge backlog in its order processing.... My order got processed today after 8 days... The wait period for customer service has been long for the last 2 calls I made to them inquiring about my order.

However, they apologized saying that the delay in processing is due to the large number of orders from the special promotion.

If you do want to order viatalk you can save $40 by clicking on the coffee cup icon on their home page(right next to the girl)... Thanks to the AT member "rugby" for this :)

He also sent me a referral link which I couldn't use since I had already ordered it. I can PM that to you if you want.

Lastly, I think Sunrocket has free phones (I might be wrong on this) where as Viatalk only gives you a free adapter (with $29.99 activation)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I have SR and it works decently enough. We have minor outages every so often where we just don't get a dialtone or people can't call us or whatever but they always go away.

The one thing that I really hate is that if I have a power outage or something so my Gizmo can't get online, calls don't get routed to VM, they just get dead air and the call goes to limbo land. Other than that, for the price I'll take an outage here or there.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
love the sunrocket site. easy to use. great design. service is great except for one issue. it took them forever to transfer my number. they kept loosing my transfer requests. after the 2nd request i called them to check the status and they had no record of my request. They told me to request online, but I couldn't make another request because I already made one. They eventually fixed it, but the process took like 90 days because they tell you to wait x amount of days before you check the status with them.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
We got Sunrocket...it was pretty much painless to start off with.

It works wonderfully...just, make sure you have a good internet speed. If possible, setting up QoS on your router does wonders to keep your phone line from sounding crappy.

Occasionally their servers will go down, but it's usually not for long (and very rare).