Sun Java Runtime 1.5.0.10 available

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I see Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 10 is now available. If you use Sun JRE, you can uninstall all previous versions using Add/Remove Programs (on Windows, anyway) and install this one. The release notes show there've been some Vista-related bugfixes, among other things.

It might be a good time to see if there are updates for your other software, too, such as web browsers, IM clients, email clients, and media players such as Winamp and QuickTime.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
1.4.2 FTW

Seriously, it's the only one worth targeting, no one has 1.5 - most of the time you're lucky if they have anything more than the Microsoft VM.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Should I upgrade from update 6?
I would if it were me. For one thing, begining with 1.5.0.8, Java reportedly won't let older versions (if still installed) be called up automagically anymore, it asks the user first. So that would prevent a fully automatic exploit of vulnerable older versions even if they were still installed, if I understand correctly. There's more info in this article if you're interested.
The problem, according to Sun's security advisory, is that a Web site set up by a bad guy could be made to pick and choose which version of Java should be used to render the content on his site. So, in theory, a malicious site could simply render Java content under older, vulnerable versions of Sun's software if the user has not removed them.
I've worked on peoples' home computers where they have, like, eight old versions of Java Runtime installed, so I can see where it could be an issue if the bad guys can just summon one of the old versions up to exploit it :confused:

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Thanks for the heads up, Mech, downloading now.

Random, Atheus, I would suggest using the latest version of the java runtime in order to avoid potential security exploits.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Thanks for the heads up, Mech, downloading now.

Random, Atheus, I would suggest using the latest version of the java runtime in order to avoid potential security exploits.
Sure thing :) I was reading the comments on that article I quoted, and it sounds like we should also remove old versions of the Java browser plug-in as well as the stand-alone JRE. I didn't pick up on that bit until just now :eek:

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

I'm talking from a programmer's perspective - the features in the latest Java are basically useless to me because Average Joe doesn't upgrade his runtime.

Not a reason for me, myself, not to use it of course.

Thanks for the link BTW mech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Check your browser plug-ins and remove older Java plugins while you're at it. On FireFox, check your add-ons.
Shouldn't the Java plugin for FF be in the 'C:/program files/FF/plugins'? Or should i be looking somewhere else?
I don't see anything obvious in that location.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: Spacehead
Originally posted by: mechBgon
Check your browser plug-ins and remove older Java plugins while you're at it. On FireFox, check your add-ons.
Shouldn't the Java plugin for FF be in the 'C:/program files/FF/plugins'? Or should i be looking somewhere else?
I don't see anything obvious in that location.
Checking... ok, I messed up, it doesn't show in the Add-Ons list :confused: Doing a little test in a virtual machine, it appears that uninstalling the old versions by way of Add/Remove Programs does remove the browser plug-ins too, so I should've kept my mouth shut :D Sorry about that!