Summer noobs in multiplayer games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
There we go then, it must be a sport.

I didn't call it a sport. I called it a cybersport. Cybersports lack the physical exertion aspects of real sports, but the key similarity is that they share many of the same mental aspects. Thus, it's possible for a competitive online multiplayer game to feel like a sport and for a participant to enjoy a similar mental experience.

Last edited:

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
You're like someone turning up to a public beach volleyball net and getting pissed off that the players aren't all olympic-level athletes.

I do not need the olympic level players, I just want the "team" players that know the rules / at least try.

ones that think joining the game is just so they can wander off with the ball can go and get shafted, personally.

Was a month or more ago since I player with someone on TF that spent the time (until I muted them) DEMANDING to be urbered.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
This

I do not need the olympic level players, I just want the "team" players that know the rules / at least try.

Lets say your playing a game of baseball, and the pitcher walks off the field with the ball to call his girlfriend. Excuse me? We are trying to have a game here, either play or leave.

Or how about a guy that runs with the basket ball like its a football? It would not be long before their kicked off the field.

If your going to play a game, at the very least have a grasp of the rules, and accepted behavior. Tackling someone in rugby or football might be ok, but it dont work in soccer and baseball.

The same goes for online multiplayer games. I dont wnat to have to rescue some noob because he decided to wonder off and go look at the pretty green slime on the ground.

At the "very" least, go watch some youtube videos before you jump into a game.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
You take this stuff way to seriously. You're an old man who spends his time doing things with children decades younger than you and expect them to conform to your ridiculously stupid standards? Get real. Why don't you find a group of a dozen other old men your age who share your vision and keep it a closed club? Good luck. You won't find anybody else that shares your demographic and viewpoints. You're a grandfather right? Do you have any teenage grandkids? Have you ever just sat back and observed what morons they are? Yeah those are the people you're complaining about not taking their gaming seriously.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

ones that think joining the game is just so they can wander off with the ball can go and get shafted, personally.

Was a month or more ago since I player with someone on TF that spent the time (until I muted them) DEMANDING to be urbered.
Sounds like something the OP would say, and then ridicule you afterward for not knowing the game and he would suggest you go watch some youtube videos to see how the game is supposed to be played.

I play TF2 all the time and even when I hop on random servers the majority of the players are cool and have a pretty good idea of what they're doing. Yes it's easy to spot the total noob who is running in the wrong direction but big whoop, chances are the other team has a few of their own. In a big 32 player game even if you have half a dozen duds on your team it really doesn't matter.

And IMO L4D is a game that's made for a group of friends. It's straight up rolling the dice to expect a great game with random players.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I dont have time to play 80 games, much less 200+ games.

During the christmas - new years sale of 2009 - 2010, I bought some game packs that I have not gotten around to playing yet. Then there are the games that I pick up during the weekly steam and direct2drive sales.

...yet you have time to put 1200+ hours into Left 4 Dead 2 and 700 on L4D 1? How is that any less "pathetic"? I say this as someone who has owned L4D since its release week and has put roughly 500 hours into Expert campaign. Noobs are exasperating at the worst. Twats with attitudes are unplayable. Period. Not saying that's you, never played with you, but neither one is anywhere near preferable.

You dont consider computer games to be a sport? Look up Quakecon and the Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) when you get some time.
Does anyone remember the 3 time back-to-back superbowl champions dallas cowboys because they had fun? No, people are remembered because they win

Wow. Just...wow. It's called "perspective", let's put stuff in it!

That's like going down to the park and shooting hoops and claiming it's anywhere near the same level as the NBA Finals. It's just...not.
If you're going into PUBLIC GAMES of L4D and are angry or disappointed that the majority of players aren't thinking they're in the Super Bowl or "CPL", that's pretty much on you.

Oct 30, 2004
You take this stuff way to seriously. You're an old man who spends his time doing things with children decades younger than you and expect them to conform to your ridiculously stupid standards?

Older people and younger people share the same entertainment media all the time--watching TV, going to the movies, etc. Computer gaming isn't any different. Computer gaming is just another form of entertainment.

Get real. Why don't you find a group of a dozen other old men your age who share your vision and keep it a closed club?

He needs to find a clan.

You won't find anybody else that shares your demographic and viewpoints.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could find a clan of adults. I know they're out there. If he's a grandfather who games, then he's probably just ahead of his time. The reason the elderly don't game is simply because they didn't grow up with computer games. I predict that we'll see more and more older gamers as time goes on.

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
When I gamed competitively, I joined clans to play and played other clans. I think you should expect to encounter a lot of noobs in any type of public matchup so no sense complaining something you can't change. I also play to win... And yes winning makes it fun. Nothing wrong with that. But you should know what your getting yourself into when playing with strangers on a public server. Games like starcraft on the other hand you can play 1 on 1 and no one to blame except yourself :)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I find this topic humorous. We all play games for FUN. With that said, pretty much everyone has a competitive bone in them. Multiplayer games of any sort make use of it. Some handle it better than others.

I used to play roller hockey with friends for fun. Barely any game went without someone throwing a punch :). When I was in Afghanistan we'd get in fist fights over a game of Risk. :p Then there's the german kid yelling at his monitor. It's all part of the same thing.

I will admit my adrenaline gets going when I'm playing online mp games, but these days the trolls acting like 10 year olds in the games annoy me more than people who suck.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I paid my money to buy the game, I'll play it the way I want.

Ok then. So stop telling other people how to play their games.

Edit: OP, I think you're confusing "fun" with griefing or trolling. Personally I like to play games for fun (because, you know, they're just games), but "fun" doesn't involve me goofing around and generally screwing the whole team over. I still go for the objective, I still use strategy and help my team, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun while doing it. And if our team loses, oh well, GG, we keep going. If a teammate ends up driving the APC over a cliff, I'm not going to berate him for it. It's a GAME. It's cool.

Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Ok then. So stop telling other people how to play their games.
You_just_got_pwned.jpg