Suitable but cheap upgrade from E2160

terrett101

Nov 21, 2007
So I built my first computer just over a year and a half ago, and aside from a graphics card upgrade nothing has changed from the original specs. It has run very well, and I am very happy with how it's turned out so far. My games run well, and it's generally very responsive. However recently the computer seems to lag when dealing with certain operations or multi-tasking, and the little CPU/Memory display on the Vista sidebar shows how much the CPU is being taxed during these moments.

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced, yet significant upgrade, from my current E2160. I went with this originally because of the power to price ratio when OC'ing, and have run it steadily at 3 GHz since I bought it. Therefore, I'm unsure what I should jump up to to actually notice a significant improvement. I'm guessing that the dual-cores in the E6-8 thousand range would be faster, but probably not by much. So ideally a quad would probably be best, but I'm unsure which one to get. I want to last another couple of years if possible, as I don't envision needing any other upgrades for some time (maybe graphics in another year or so). I'm comfortable OC'ing, so if that extends the life then great. I am slightly put off by the price though. I spent under $100 on the E2160, and it's lasted this long, but the best deal I've seen on the quad's is this one. Is there anything I can find cheaper that I could easily get a solid year of life out of?

This is my current set up. I use my computer a lot, games, work etc and I like it running fast, but I definitely don't need to be on the pinnacle of technological advancement.

CPU - E2160
Gigabyte MB - GA-P35-DS3L LGA775
4GB DDR2 800
Radeon HD 4850 512MB