Suit jacket vs Tux jacket?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I thought my band director said a suit with a hung down tie was fine for my concert, but then my friend told me that was for another group :x

So now I need a tux, bowtie and cummerbund by tommorrow.

I already have the tux shirt and tux pants, but only a vest, which I need a jacket.
My suit looks pretty similar to a tux, besides the fact that the collar isn't the silk that is used on the tux.

Will I look weird? :confused:

cirthix

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
go with the tux (and wear a penguin logo too!) j/k if you take your appearance so seriously, you have problems. focus on your work and play your instrument and not be so dammn self concious or pleasing some dumbass band director. i hate when people try to impose their ideas on others, especially when it comes to how you dress yourself. arrghhhh. i could write a rant, but i'm too lazy lol

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I'm not too familiar with proper dress code, so I'm afraid that my director would find the suit jacket completely unacceptable and not allow me to perform, which would result in a failure in the class. :Q

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
typically tux jackets are cut a little differently than suit jackets. i would go rent a jacket or even an entire ensemble. thats what i did for band in high school. :)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
What's the difference in the cut that would distiguish the two? I already have the tux dress shirt and pants as required in my high school band, but I used a vest with no bow tie/cummerbund in high school.
So I'm hoping I can just spend $30 tommorrow for the bowtie and cummerbund.