Suit against God thrown out over lack of address

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
LINCOLN, Neb. - A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator's lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn't properly served due to his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.
ADVERTISEMENT

He said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers has said he filed the lawsuit to make the point that everyone should have access to the courts regardless of whether they are rich or poor.

On Tuesday, however, Douglas County District Court Judge Marlon Polk ruled that under state law a plaintiff must have access to the defendant for a lawsuit to move forward.

"Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice," Polk wrote.

Chambers, who graduated from law school but never took the bar exam, thinks he's found a hole in the judge's ruling.

"The court itself acknowledges the existence of God," Chambers said Wednesday. "A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God's omniscience."

Therefore, Chambers said, "Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit."

Chambers has 30 days to decide whether to appeal. He said he hasn't decided yet.

Chambers, who has served a record 38 years in the Nebraska Legislature, is not returning next year because of term limits. He skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
Chambers is a loon anyway, thankfully that idiot won't be serving anymore.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's funny. He makes a good case though. If "God" is Omni-X, then no Address is needed.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
It's funny. He makes a good case though. If "God" is Omni-X, then no Address is needed.
Indeed. Saying God needs an Address in order to be Aware of the lawsuit seems blasphemous - it's saying that God is incapable of overseeing His Own Creation. Now God's going to have to Smite that judge.

Still, the fact that this is suit is coming from a senator is really kind of sad.

Besides, collecting money from God would be a major pain in the ass. Any bill collectors who called would suddenly find themselves in Hell.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: sandorski
Indeed. Saying God needs an Address in order to be Aware of the lawsuit seems blasphemous - it's saying that God is incapable of overseeing His Own Creation. Now God's going to have to Smite that judge.

Still, the fact that this is suit is coming from a senator is really kind of sad.

Besides, collecting money from God would be a major pain in the ass. Any bill collectors who called would suddenly find themselves in Hell.

Definitely. Should have been thrown out for being a waste of the Court's time.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: dquan97
-snip-
"The court itself acknowledges the existence of God," Chambers said Wednesday. "A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God's omniscience."

That's a certain error in logic.

If he's acknowledging "God" with all the standard attributes:

1. Omniscience
2. Omnipotentce
3. Omnipresence
4. omnibenevolence

He's lost his case already, if one recognizes god and acknowledges his omniscience (I won't even bother with the other attributes). How can anybody/anything that knows all, not know he would lose a court case? You're doomed from the start, bro, if you understand "omniscience".

File this under *logical fallicy*.

Fern

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

1. Omniscience
2. Omnipotentce
3. Omnipresence
4. omnibenevolence

He's lost his case already, if one recognizes god and acknowledges his omniscience (I won't even bother with the other attributes). How can anybody/anything that knows all, not know he would lose a court case? You're doomed form the start, bro, if you understand "omniscience".

Fern

Shame that it couldn't be thrown out on jurisdictional grounds. That would lay a foundation to stop further nonsense.

ZV

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Chambers is such a batshit crazy jackass. Man. I hate that guy. Almost makes me ashamed to say I'm from Ne.
But Omaha is cool. Worst goddamn drivers in the country but great place to go get into some trouble.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Hey, if the US Postal Service can deliver letters to Santa at the North Pole, surely Chambers can waste one forever stamp to mail God a subpoena.

But wait, Chambers is screwed, the judge dismissed the lawsuit with prejudice, which means he can't refile the lawsuit.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Izusaga
Chambers is a loon anyway, thankfully that idiot won't be serving anymore.

No kidding. I thought it was pretty over-the-top when he said the whole state is racist, and passed term limits specifically to get him out because we're so racist.

Originally posted by: Specop 007
Chambers is such a batshit crazy jackass. Man. I hate that guy. Almost makes me ashamed to say I'm from Ne.
But Omaha is cool. Worst goddamn drivers in the country but great place to go get into some trouble.
x2

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

1. Omniscience
2. Omnipotentce
3. Omnipresence
4. omnibenevolence

He's lost his case already, if one recognizes god and acknowledges his omniscience (I won't even bother with the other attributes). How can anybody/anything that knows all, not know he would lose a court case? You're doomed from the start, bro, if you understand "omniscience".

Fern

Well, I already filed it under, "Complete fucking retard." I'll move it to logical fallacy as you request.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Ridiculous how superstitious nuts who believe in God will let him off on a technicality, even though they themselves believe he has murdered children, destroyed civilizations, and caused countless natural disasters.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
every politician in this country needs to be dragged out into the street and beaten until they renounce their phony-baloney jobs

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Just goes to show how stupid his believers and followers really are.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
the rules for service in a legal case, even small claims, are quite strict.

what are you going to do ? have the lawsuit delivered to the Vatican,
and ask the Pope to sign ?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No address??? Hell! God, who or whatever he/she/it is, has more houses than John McShame, and it hasn't stopped people from serving subpoenas against his self-described employees and hauling them into court for sexually abusing kids.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
found it:

Eminence Pope Benedict XVI
Vatican City
Vatican

-If the pope is his vicar, then that comes with all the responsibilities of said office, including liability