Suicide bombings in Israel, West Bank

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: etech
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: RDWYTruckDriver
Once again

Hamas claims responsibility for one attack

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Less than an hour apart, a pair of suicide bombings Tuesday killed two Israelis and wounded at least a dozen others.

It's a shame Israel provoked this new violence

"Israeli military sources said when they approached the building early on Friday in the Askar refugee camp in Nablus, a known Hamas stronghold, they were shot at from its third floor"

It appears that Hamas was the first to open fire.

Please etech, I considered you more thoughtful than that.

Besides the fact the claim "they fired at us first" is hearsay, they shouldn't be flaunting their miltiary at sensitive locations such as a Hamas leader's residence.

What would you think the Israelis would do if a group of Hamas militants arms with Kalashnikovs strapped with bombs happened to stroll by an Israeli government building while Sharon was holding a conference?

A terrorist leader's house is a sensitive location? Arresting said terrorist is "flaunting their military"?

I think I'll just call it a night.

LOL! When did the Israelies ever "arrest" anyone? They never did intend to arrest Hamas and they wouldn't start now.

Do I really need to prove just how stupid a statement that is?

You obviously misunderstood what I said. It's forgivable.

Looking at the 50 years of animosity between the Isrealis and the Palestinians... do you honestly believe that Palestinians have any intention of going quietly? Don't you think the Israelis know what they're doing?

Put one and one together...

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You obviously misunderstood what I said. It's forgivable.

Looking at the 50 years of animosity between the Isrealis and the Palestinians... do you honestly believe that Palestinians have any intention of going quietly? Don't you think the Israelis know what they're doing?

Put one and one together...

I think I understand you point now that you have reworded it.

Is this right? Israel should have expected the Hamas terrorists to act like terrorist and start shooting? So the shooting by the Hamas terrorists is all Israelis fault and since the terrorist acted like terrorists their retalition by strapping dynamite on a 17 year boy and sending him out to kill innocent civilians is also Israels fault.

I see where you are coming from now.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: syzygy
Originally posted by: syzygy
with what? what should Abbas use to dismantle them? the police force has been turned into next to nothing by Israel and are now requesting over $200 to start rebuilding them. Also doing anything to them right now would result in chaos, then they would start attacking Israel and the PA and most likely overthrow the PA, that would do no one good. The cease fire was the best thing to happen there since the uprising began and a perminent cease fire, which Abbas offered to Sharon but he rejected it, would be even better for the process. Its during peace time where trust can be built.

i suppose your humor is unintended. interpol says the following about this 'next to nothing' police force:

for every 1,000 palestinian citizens, the palestinian authority has trained, armed, and put into uniform a ratio of 16.7 persons. compared to
spain's 4.5, isreal's 4.2, and germany's 3.2. appears as if the p.a. is building the world's first welfare police state, eh ?

interpol figures

the p.a. has a 40,000 strong 'police force', a number in itself that is in clear violation of prior peace agreements and which does not take
into account the illcit arms floating through the p.a.'s jurisdiction.
that was before the uprising, alot has changed since then, the info in your link is dated 1995, 1997 and 1998

the number by 2000 had risen to 45,000 . . . and in 2003 the size of the force is comprised of units
called blue police, force 17, preventative security forces, military intellgence, general intelligence, aerial
police, coast guard, and the nsf (national security force) totaling - by my calculations via the site linked -
at least 28,000

quickly then . . . adding together just the nsf (14,000), blue police (7,500 in gaza and 4.700 in west bank), and
presidential security aka force 17 (2000) combine to over 28,000. i excluded a myriad of smaller units that would've
easily brought the figure to over 30,000. additionally, these figures are just un-official estimates. the actual number,
assuming the p.a. has a clue, is buried in cooked accounting tomes that would take a herculean effort to unearth.

hopefully the common delusions about an underfunded, demoralized, and poorly manned palestinian 'police force'
have been squashed. skimming through the second linked site and through various human rights reports, one
learns that these forces have an eerie redundancy in their intelligence and security functions that smacks of
saddam's paranoia fetishes - and yet the terrorism persists. clearly the p.a.. has the manpower to destroy their
vermin.
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/WO0308/S00106.htm

all this info you seem to have is before the current uprising began, and I'm sorry to have to start this, your sources are very pro israel so it should be taken as that

also from your own link
This brought about a change in the Israeli approach toward Arafat and his units. They were no longer perceived as guardians of peace but rather as part of the Palestinian terrorist infrastructure. Hence, over the thirty three months following September 2000, the IDF has launched numerous attacks against Palestinian military infrastructure using helicopters, jet fighters, tanks and missiles to destroy most of the PA's headquarters, training bases, vehicles and equipment. The heaviest attack occurred in March 2002, after Palestinian terrorism rocked Israel's main cities no less than 12 times in one month, killing 70 and wounding 548. Israel decided to take off the gloves and do exactly what Arafat had promised to do but failed to deliver: eliminate the Palestinian centers of terror. On March 28, hundreds of Israeli tanks and armored personnel carriers rolled into six Palestinian-controlled cities. One by one, Ramallah, Kalkilya, Tulkarem, Bethlehem, Nablus and Jenin were seized by the IDF as part of Operation Defensive Shield. The operation was a heavy blow to the PA. Thousands of weapons were confiscated and hundreds of militants were arrested including many members of the security apparatuses.

The official objective of the Coast Guard is the protection of the PA's territorial water mainly against arms and drug smugglers from Egypt. It owned 13 motorboats equipped with machine guns, all of them were destroyed by the IDF.

i found my links, especially the last one, to provide a fuller and infintely more detailed picture of the current state of the palestinian security
forces. you asked for current information and the second site linked dates to the end of july 2003.

as for the site being 'pro-isreal', that doesn't amount to criticism but an evasion from the reams of stats and information presented therein.

your link is too general to comment upon. i am not doubting dahlan's need. i happen to respect this man (and abbas) for his efforts so far,
even if these measures lacked vigor and force. these people seem to be sincere, as judged by their actions, and, most importantly, they've
pushed arafat to the sidelines.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Once again

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Less than an hour apart, a pair of suicide bombings Tuesday killed two Israelis and wounded at least a dozen others.

"Israeli military sources said when they approached the building early on Friday in the Askar refugee camp in Nablus, a known Hamas stronghold, they were shot at from its third floor"

Besides the fact the claim "they fired at us first" is hearsay, they shouldn't be flaunting their miltiary at sensitive locations such as a Hamas leader's residence.

What would you think the Israelis would do if a group of Hamas militants arms with Kalashnikovs strapped with bombs happened to stroll by an Israeli government building while Sharon was holding a conference?

A terrorist leader's house is a sensitive location? Arresting said terrorist is "flaunting their military"?

I am amazed at how stubborn you are. You think there's nothing wrong with Israel sending it's military to provoke an attack by surrounding a Hamas leader's residence?

Solet me ask you again: Would it be ok for Hamas militants to surround Ariel Sharon's residence?

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
What business did they have going into a refugee camp in the first place? Sharon's whole platform is on violence. If their is peace between both sides, the right wing Jews would be out of office.
If there was peace the terrorists would also be out of business and jobs. Arafat might have to spend some of the millions he has stolen from his people. Your point?
Simple. Israel should not be raiding anyone during a cease fire. They agreed to it too you know. Arafat and Sharon are both the same crap. 2 terrorists that love violence. If we could somehow ship both of them to Siberia and start fresh it would be a blessing. Fortunately they are old so it won't go on for that much longer.
I saw where they were having a cease-fire. I didn't see where it said that murdering terrorists got a get out of jail free card.

I don't understand why people are calling the palestinian mouvements terrorists!!! These groups are from the people and are well accepted by most arabe people and press (not goverments) They have the right to fight. I am not a fanatic, I'm arabic and I don't hate Isreal because it's a jewish country, I'm not racist but it's because Isreal was never a peaceful country just look at the past 50yrs don't tell me about these arabe goverments they are hated by most arabes (people). What I'm trying to say is that they (Isrealis) is trying to take as much arabe land as possible this is part of their Zionist dream just look at their flag the 2 blue lins are the two rivers Nils and the Euphrates and the star is in between!

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Cesar
What business did they have going into a refugee camp in the first place? Sharon's whole platform is on violence. If their is peace between both sides, the right wing Jews would be out of office.
If there was peace the terrorists would also be out of business and jobs. Arafat might have to spend some of the millions he has stolen from his people. Your point?
Simple. Israel should not be raiding anyone during a cease fire. They agreed to it too you know. Arafat and Sharon are both the same crap. 2 terrorists that love violence. If we could somehow ship both of them to Siberia and start fresh it would be a blessing. Fortunately they are old so it won't go on for that much longer.
I saw where they were having a cease-fire. I didn't see where it said that murdering terrorists got a get out of jail free card.

I don't understand why people are calling the palestinian mouvements terrorists!!! These groups are from the people and are well accepted by most arabe people and press (not goverments) They have the right to fight. I am not a fanatic, I'm arabic and I don't hate Isreal because it's a jewish country, I'm not racist but it's because Isreal was never a peaceful country just look at the past 50yrs don't tell me about these arabe goverments they are hated by most arabes (people). What I'm trying to say is that they (Isrealis) is trying to take as much arabe land as possible this is part of their Zionist dream just look at their flag the 2 blue lins are the two rivers Nils and the Euphrates and the star is in between!

that is one of the most ignorant things i have ever heard. they are terrorist because they try to acheive their goals by terrorizing citizens. they put bombs in buses, supermarkets, clubs, religous ceremonies and other places where innocent people are guaranteed to be killed. they dress themselves up as women and religious jews and sneak into israel to commit murder. you are either choosing to IGNORE it or do not understand enough to see it, and neither case bodes well.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Once again

I am amazed at how stubborn you are. You think there's nothing wrong with Israel sending it's military to provoke an attack by surrounding a Hamas leader's residence?

Solet me ask you again: Would it be ok for Hamas militants to surround Ariel Sharon's residence?

The reason the Israelis have to go into the disputed terrortoies is because the Arabs living there won't do anything about the terrorists.

So to answer your question which you seem to think is so important.

If the terrorist group Hamas surronded Sharon's residence I would expect them to be arrested and if they would not go peacefully I would expect the Israelis would have to attack them. That's what you do when you find terrorists, you arrest them.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I can't believe you guys are arguing who's to blame in the P&I conflict! It's so pointless, because they're both to blame. Neither side is more innocent than the other. End of story.

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: kaizersose
that is one of the most ignorant things i have ever heard. they are terrorist because they try to acheive their goals by terrorizing citizens. they put bombs in buses, supermarkets, clubs, religous ceremonies and other places where innocent people are guaranteed to be killed. they dress themselves up as women and religious jews and sneak into israel to commit murder. you are either choosing to IGNORE it or do not understand enough to see it, and neither case bodes well.

When you occupy my land then bring your family to live, there is no way that I would consider u as a CIVILIEN. You came to my land kick me out because you are Jewish and this land was yours 5000yrs ago. If we refused to leave you will use force by killing are friends and family to terroriz us to leave. We arabs don't forget the past that easily budy and we don't sh!t on our rights no matter what are enemys say!

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

When you occupy my land then bring your family to live, there is no way that I would consider u as a CIVILIEN. You came to my land kick me out because you are Jewish and this land was yours 5000yrs ago. If we refused to leave you will use force by killing are friends and family to terroriz us to leave. We arabs don't forget the past that easily budy and we don't sh!t on our rights no matter what are enemys say!

Have you ever heard of the Hatfields and the McCoys. They lived in the past and could not forget past insults either.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003

actually, much of the land that would have made up the original state of israel (UN 1948 boundaries) was legally purchased by jews from the arabs that lived in the area at the time. the arabs thought they were getting a great deal because they were selling agriculturally worthless land for good money. many arab and jewish commmunities lived in peace next to one and other.

all that changed after 1948. all of the surrounding arab countries fomented bad relations and invaded israel in 1948. israel ended up increasing its land mass in that war as it has in every other war that arab countries have started.

"When you occupy my land then bring your family to live, there is no way that I would consider u as a CIVILIEN" any american could say the very same thing about the millions of immigrants coming from all religions, races and parts of the world. instead, we accept immigrants and make them a part of our society by allowing them to become citizens--our entire country is immigrants.

edit: this is a perfect illustration of the root problem in middle east. arab children are fed propaganda disguised as facts about how the jews are evil and have stolen land from the arabs. it is sad--there will be no peace in the region untill the arab children are brought up with open minds.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I can't believe you guys are arguing who's to blame in the P&I conflict! It's so pointless, because they're both to blame. Neither side is more innocent than the other. End of story.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: digitalsm

not so simple. i am sure that if you had family in the region you would be a bit more concerned as well--innocent lives are lost every day

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999

actually, much of the land that would have made up the original state of israel (UN 1948 boundaries) was legally purchased by jews from the arabs that lived in the area at the time. the arabs thought they were getting a great deal because they were selling agriculturally worthless land for good money. many arab and jewish commmunities lived in peace next to one and other.

all that changed after 1948. all of the surrounding arab countries fomented bad relations and invaded israel in 1948. israel ended up increasing its land mass in that war as it has in every other war that arab countries have started.

"When you occupy my land then bring your family to live, there is no way that I would consider u as a CIVILIEN" any american could say the very same thing about the millions of immigrants coming from all religions, races and parts of the world. instead, we accept immigrants and make them a part of our society by allowing them to become citizens--our entire country is immigrants.

edit: this is a perfect illustration of the root problem in middle east. arab children are fed propaganda disguised as facts about how the jews are evil and have stolen land from the arabs. it is sad--there will be no peace in the region untill the arab children are brought up with open minds.

gonna have to call you out on this (though i hate to get into these arguments because the blind pro israeli folks).. israelies(jews) don't accept israeli-arabs (they pretend to..go ahead and watch a documentary on how surrounding israelies really feel)..

what makes you think palestinians are going to accept people coming onto their land and then pushing them off? You're also wrong, they were cheated and kicked out, very few simply sold their land happily.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
mrCide

what makes you think palestinians are going to accept people coming onto their land and then pushing them off? You're also wrong, they were cheated and kicked out, very few simply sold their land happily.

I don't have the numbers but I do have one question for you.

Why, in 1934, did Jerusalem's mufti, the spiritual leader of the city's Muslims, decree that believers were duty bound to murder other Muslims who sold land to Jews.

Side question. What parts of the Qu'ran did he use to justify Muslims killing Muslims?

A follow up. Is it still a capital crime for an Arab to sell land to a Jew?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm

not so simple. i am sure that if you had family in the region you would be a bit more concerned as well--innocent lives are lost every day

It not a matter of whether I'm concerned. I am. It's just pointless to sit around pointing fingers. That's how the current situation got where it is. Both sides need to do their part and stop instigating crap with the other side.

RDWYTruckDriver

Jul 16, 2003
this is a perfect illustration of the root problem in middle east. arab children are fed propaganda disguised as facts about how the jews are evil and have stolen land from the arabs. it is sad--there will be no peace in the region untill the arab children are brought up with open minds.

Great post ! kaizersose ;)

Cesar

Banned
Jan 12, 2003
this is a perfect illustration of the root problem in middle east. arab children are fed propaganda disguised as facts about how the jews are evil and have stolen land from the arabs. it is sad--there will be no peace in the region untill the arab children are brought up with open minds.

Well I'm arabe and I know what I m talking about and it's not propaganda. To be honest it's the western media how fed people with propaganda. I live in Montreal and here the Zionists community is very strong, I don't want to call them jews because I have some jewish friends who refuse to call Israel a jewish country! To my point one of the zionists leaders (in Montreal) Israel Asper who owns lots of journals and tv channels in Canada said that his objective is to give the world a good view of Isreal! I live in a western country (Canada) and I have both middle east tv channels and North America tv. so I know what I'm talking about budy. I'm still 20 and i'm studying communications, my objective is to show the western world the real isreal! but to do that I have to get to the top;)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Well I'm arabe and I know what I m talking about and it's not propaganda. To be honest it's the western media how fed people with propaganda. I live in Montreal and here the Zionists community is very strong, I don't want to call them jews because I have some jewish friends who refuse to call Israel a jewish country! To my point one of the zionists leaders (in Montreal) Israel Asper who owns lots of journals and tv channels in Canada said that his objective is to give the world a good view of Isreal! I live in a western country (Canada) and I have both middle east tv channels and North America tv. so I know what I'm talking about budy. I'm still 20 and i'm studying communications, my objective is to show the western world the real isreal! but to do that I have to get to the top;)

You are still 20, living in Canada, your only information source you cited is middle east TV channels and yet you want to show the world the real Israel.

Ahh, the hubris of youth.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003

do you dispute the fact that arab children are spoon fed hate literature about jews? they still teach that jews use the blood of muslim children in religious ceremonies and food!
i am not "brainwashed" by western media. i read sources on all side including commondreams.org which has yet to report on a single suicide bombing for the year and half i have been reading it (even the official iranian news site reports on suicide bombings). i have also been to both israel and jordan and seen the land you hear about.

if you know what you are talking about, you should recognize it as propaganda.