Suicide Attempts in One California County CLAIMED w/o Evidence to be Rampant

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The downside to shutting down ths economy is many people are now in financial turmoil. Also, many mentally ill patients are now isolated and away from the support they need.

Maybe there is sime truth to the fact that this shutdown could cost more American lives than the actual virus?

Your previous thread title was materially inaccurate in the extreme. You simply cannot post in this manner here. Facts matter.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The downside to shutting down ths economy is many people are now in financial turmoil. Also, many mentally ill patients are now isolated and away from the support they need.

Maybe there is sime truth to the fact that this shutdown could cost more American lives than the actual virus?

We'd need more data to make a reasonable determination on that. It's easy to shout "the lockdowns are costing us more lives than the virus!" when you don't have to quantify it like, say, the CDC does.

Reactions: Aegeon

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Not the least bit surprising. People are watching their entire lives go down the tubes.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
When Trumpity Dumpity said the cure is worse than the disease, I highly doubt he thought of anything said in the article. All he sees is how empty his hotels and golf courses are.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Not the least bit surprising. People are watching their entire lives go down the tubes.
Maybe we should rethink the economic order a bit if a couple of months is leading to mass suicides because people see no way to continue. If that is truly the case the pandemic and efforts to contain it are not the real problem just a catalyst for exposing a much larger issue.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
We'd need more data to make a reasonable determination on that. It's easy to shout "the lockdowns are costing us more lives than the virus!" when you don't have to quantify it like, say, the CDC does.

Good point. The psychologist interviewed gave no numbers to how many suicides there were. Only that it was a lot.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Maybe we should rethink the economic order a bit if a couple of months is leading to mass suicides because people see no way to continue. If that is truly the case the pandemic and efforts to contain it are not the real problem just a catalyst for exposing a much larger issue.
Rethinking the economic order?

You mean like something other than Deathcult Capitalism, the state religion?

Heresy.

Why do you hate America?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

For like the zillionth time, the economy is not shut down because of the government, it’s shut down because of fear of the virus.

If you’re sad about not being able to go sit down at a restaurant you can go buy a plane ticket and fly to a place with open restaurants today. The reason people aren’t doing that is they don’t want to, not that the government is stopping them.

Nov 8, 2012
For like the zillionth time, the economy is not shut down because of the government, it’s shut down because of fear of the virus.

If you’re sad about not being able to go sit down at a restaurant you can go buy a plane ticket and fly to a place with open restaurants today. The reason people aren’t doing that is they don’t want to, not that the government is stopping them.

One cannot state whether or not the economy would be rampant or not.

You're saying "Even if the stores were open, no one would go anyway"

The opposite is saying "If the stores were open, they would be rampant and the economy would continue as normal"

Based on the slow progress of opening - at least in my home state - I can tell you that people are desperately attempting to go to stores and spend money. Wife wanted to pickup an order at Joann's (Michaels/Fabric store equivalent) and the line was out the door and around the corner to get inside.

Bars and pubs are also full in my parts.

There is no simple metric anyone can point to - but suffice it to say the only thing preventing the economy in my area is undoubtedly the government - not the people.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
.There is no simple metric anyone can point to - but suffice it to say the only thing preventing the economy in my area is undoubtedly the government - not the people.
Give us an update in two weeks. Or ask someone to give us an update if you’re in a coma on a ventilator

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One cannot state whether or not the economy would be rampant or not.

You're saying "Even if the stores were open, no one would go anyway"

The opposite is saying "If the stores were open, they would be rampant and the economy would continue as normal"

Based on the slow progress of opening - at least in my home state - I can tell you that people are desperately attempting to go to stores and spend money. Wife wanted to pickup an order at Joann's (Michaels/Fabric store equivalent) and the line was out the door and around the corner to get inside.

Bars and pubs are also full in my parts.

There is no simple metric anyone can point to - but suffice it to say the only thing preventing the economy in my area is undoubtedly the government - not the people.

Opentable data shows that reservations in restaurants are down around 80-90% in areas that have reopened. Air travel is down like 90% even though it was never restricted. So, there’s really no need to guess what people would do, we can just look at what they are already doing in sectors that were never restricted.

Most businesses were never closed by the restrictions to begin with anyway.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Opentable data shows that reservations in restaurants are down around 80-90% in areas that have reopened. Air travel is down like 90% even though it was never restricted. So, there’s really no need to guess what people would do, we can just look at what they are already doing in sectors that were never restricted.

Most businesses were never closed by the restrictions to begin with anyway.

Wasn't the whole "non-essential businesses" designation a function of the lockdown?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wasn't the whole "non-essential businesses" designation a function of the lockdown?
Right. And again, it’s not really a lockdown. It’s basically the closure of restaurants and hair salons - incredibly mild. Look to other countries to see what a lockdown is.

I mean Tesla was determined to be an essential business. That’s just how easy it is to be essential.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I mean Tesla was determined to be an essential business. That’s just how easy it is to be essential.
In Pa, in a county (Bucks) that is still red (red, yellow,yeeha) my beer distributor has been deemed an essential business from the get-go. :rolleyes:

Reactions: skyking

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What people are watching is what they identify with as their lives going down the tubes. All those things were sacred cows that people who had no real self respect substituted as ego possessions they were programmed to believe the possession of which would make them worth something as people. Psychological ignorance can kill you.

Life is tragic enough not to add to it with our personal insanity. Think of it as discovering we are all actually snowflakes, deep egotistic entitleness rooted in really deep neediness.

Reactions: hal2kilo and dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In Pa, in a county (Bucks) that is still red (red, yellow,yeeha) my beer distributor has been deemed an essential business from the get-go. :rolleyes:
Yes, in my neighborhood which borders some of the hardest hit places in NYC (and therefore the world) I would say about 80% of businesses are open and the streets are full of people walking around doing whatever. Lockdown my ass.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
What people are watching is what they identify with as their lives going down the tubes. All those things were sacred cows that people who had no real self respect substituted as ego possessions they were programmed to believe the possession of which would make them worth something as people. Psychological ignorance can kill you.

Life is tragic enough not to add to it with our personal insanity. Think of it as discovering we are all actually snowflakes, deep egotistic entitleness rooted in really deep neediness.
Well, a snowflake that's lost his business, his home, or both, might not be inclined to have such a philosophical point of view.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I see a culture of rugged individualists who are going to have to die to their belief systems as we evolve toward more communal thinking. All of human evolution has been away from self dependence toward group effort to survive with self first thinkers survive as parasites.

Reactions: dank69