Suggestions

Necc

Feb 15, 2011
So here is the thing, I'm running an E5300 @3.5Ghz with an HD4870 512MB, 4GB RAM, 500W zalman psu. the upgrade itch got me, would Igain anything upgrading to an 2500K platform using my HD4870? upgrading the Videocard wont get me much because I'll be bottlenecked, Iwill eventually upgrade the videocard in the winter, but for now will Isee any proformance increase in day-to-day apps and games?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Step at a time or break the bank...

This is always an easy answer for me, a step at a time. Can't spend too much at any one time so my wife doesn't realize I've upgraded again.

If you have the itch now then it doesn't hurt to do the CPU now and the GPU later. You may not see a huge increase but you will see something. Since you don't have a time sensitive reason for upgrading you can just watch for sales on what you want and jump when you see a good one.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
This is always an easy answer for me, a step at a time. Can't spend too much at any one time so my wife doesn't realize I've upgraded again.

Dood...! Got that one figured out... Just be sure to get her some bling with the order... Found that the egg has bling and I ended up with a sweet 2600K system all of the sudden...:biggrin:

floogy

Jun 28, 2001
The 4870 is still fine, as good as newer mid range cards anyway. Personally, I'd buy another 4870 and CF (if you have two pcie) until I had enough saved up to buy it all in one go. That would keep you gaming for a while. You might need more wattage for your psu but that would just fit in to your new build when you got there. I prefer to buy all at once, especially components that will be outdated quickly, like cpu, gpu etc.

Depending on your daily use the cpu will still be ok unless you run cpu heavy apps a lot. If you're more of a gamer the gpu will give more of a performance increase but you'd have to wait to buy that anyway if you get the new mobo and cpu.

Necc

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll be sticking to my build till christmas holydays and buy all at once, I'll get another a second hand 4870 and CF in main time (where I live they are pretty cheap), I have somewhere lying around a corsair tx650, Ithink that should be enough for 2x4870.

Thanks again.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll be sticking to my build till christmas holydays and buy all at once, I'll get another a second hand 4870 and CF in main time (where I live they are pretty cheap), I have somewhere lying around a corsair tx650, Ithink that should be enough for 2x4870.

Thanks again.
I don't know about CF (IMO, if you are going to get spendy in the winter, get a 2GB, then). What good is double the GPU power, if you have to keep the graphics options low to keep within 512MB? Even console ports can use >512MB w/o high resolutions.

Necc

Feb 15, 2011
I don't know about CF (IMO, if you are going to get spendy in the winter, get a 2GB, then). What good is double the GPU power, if you have to keep the graphics options low to keep within 512MB? Even console ports can use >512MB w/o high resolutions.
Mostly I'll be getting a 6970 2GB version, with an 2500K platform should be enough for most upcoming future games, Ijust hope it will be enough for Diablo3 because thats THE game im looking forward to next year.