Suggestions for wireless N router to stream HD video?

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
I've been out of the loop as far as networking and routers for the past few years and could use some suggestions...

I have an HTPC downstairs in the living room. It has tons of recorded HD tv on it, as well as ripped DVDs and other downloaded HD video content.

I'm having issues when trying to play video from the HTPC downstairs on my computer/TV upstairs. Sometimes the video is OK, but 80% of the time it stutters too much to be watchable. My signal on the upstairs computer is generally 4 out of 5 bars, so reception is not the issue.

All of my routers/adapters are Wireless G.

I'm considering trying Wireless N to see if it helps with my bandwidth issues. Anyone have a cheap-ish upgrade suggestion? Router and adapter?

Also, it's possible there's a better way to do this that I'm not aware of. I wasn't able to get the computers talking to each other through homegroups, so i access the HTPC by using "\\HTPC", etc.

Thanks a bunch!

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I can't strongly enough recommend something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-318-_-Product

I've switched to Powerline networking for streaming netflix HD, etc. and have not looked back. I've tried G and N wireless, but it would just fluctuate too much to be worth it. Just look for good deals on Powerline adapters, and buy the number you need. Some are sold in pairs, some singles. Just know that you need one plugged into your router, and one for every device you want to have talk to your router.

So, if your count of devices is a router, two XBox 360s, and 1 HTPC that are all in different locations, you need 4 POE adapters. If some of your devices are close enough to one another, you can connect a switch to the POE adapter.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Almost every review i've read on powerline adapters is that they tend to degrade or get really hot and become worthless over time. and when they state 85mbps ... you never get 60% of that, because of so many other factors .. if the switchs/device is on the same circuit/old wireing/etc. i think powerline has a long ways to go.

I personally have 2 DIR-655's, 1 as my main router with no wireless, and a second that is ethernet'd up to the main router and pumps out a wireless N signal for my 360 extender. Plays 6k-12k bitrate 1080p, 12GB movies without hiccup, just like my LAN 360 does.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I believe with the older ones you'd be right. I've had a pair of Asus adapters for quite some time, and have never once had to fiddle with them to get the signal back. The run remarkably cool to the touch, and are rated at 200 (I believe). And, with nearly any non-ethernet solution, you'll lose a percentage of the stated bandwidth. For powerline, I haven't ever needed to check because I had never encountered a problem... not the same for my bridged N configuration.

Here is about what I have, which I picked up on sale at newegg:

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/products/details.aspx?PID=6934154&rsmainid=ND0130014

Edit, here is something similar at a much better price point:

http://www.amazon.com/Trendware-TPL-303E-200MBPS-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B003KU4DO6

Last edited:

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I'll have to check at some point. It never crossed my mind to do so simply because they've always just worked.