• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Suggestions for reuse of any old system?

tikiman

Mar 9, 2016
Hey people!

First off I apologize if this is in the wrong sub. Mods, please move if so!

I built a computer off advice from here years ago after high school. I've since moved out of the parent's house and it's just been sitting there. I'm back visiting them now, and kinda wondering what to do with it. What if any parts are considered usable these days?

Here's what I used back then:
CPU: Intel Q6600
Mobo: something silly with a 680i SLI because... I dont know why
GPU: NV 8800GTS
8 GB ram
currently has an old SSD in it, but most of the time just had a couple hard drives in there.

anyway, suggestions for uses for this? given that it's over 13 years old, it still feels surprisingly fast but... I also know that it's severely limited in terms of support options etc.

any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Heya,

The Q6600 and the 8800 series were great for the time.

As for today's purpose for this system? Not much. Sure it will do legacy gaming no problem. If you want a basic gaming machine. You could probably get it to be at least as powerful for games as a console if you wanted to.

Otherwise, its a good system platform to make a NAS/server or for hosting VM's to experiment or handle all kinds of software projects (as a server with a few VM's running it could be a router, server, cloud, FTP, etc, all at the same time).

Very best,

ASK THE COMMUNITY