Question Suggestions for new build - Gaming and Video Editing

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. Mostly FPS but occasionally something like Warframe, DotA2, Starcraft. Also I will be doing video editing and in general, listening to music. I want it to look clean and professional, but still have some flair (hence why I picked RBG fans and a very open looking case).

2. What YOUR budget is. Up to $1800 or so

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. Whatever PCpartpicker says, so probably USA.

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from. N/A

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. N/A

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. Things are laid out in the PCpartpicker link. Would like to reuse monitor, keyboard, mouse. Would possibly like to add a 2nd monitor if there ends up being room in budget.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. Wouldn't mind having the ability to OC, but I don't think I need to right out of the gate.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using? 1440p

9. WHEN do you plan to build it? Next month or two... I want to have it finished by July at the latest.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software? Yes, Win10 which is included in my PCpartpicker list.

One extra: Could anybody suggest to me a high quality desk that doesn't look really old school but doesn't look like a tacky gaming set up? I'm looking for something that's maybe 5ft wide by 3ft deep. My desk I have now is an all blacked out fake carbon fiber looking thing that is just a little too small and quite frankly, I'm just not fond of the look anymore.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My only problem with your build is your ram. You should go with at least 3600, as that is the sweet spot.

I can't help with the desk. I got mine from a used office furniture store.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
My only problem with your build is your ram. You should go with at least 3600, as that is the sweet spot.

I can't help with the desk. I got mine from a used office furniture store.
Okay, I will update my list, it doesn't change the price by too much. For the desk... I think I found a decent one.... Thanks to the google overlords who sell my data, I've conveniently been shown desk ads on facebook 2 days ago.

Here's a question I have: So I have an Acer 27'' 1440p 144hz Monitor with 4ms response time but I have no idea if it's a TN or IPS build. The only difference between the Acer part numbers is like one digit/number and both monitors look identical other than that specific code.

XB270HU is what I have. According to PCpartpicker, the HU bprz is the IPS and the HU Abprz is the TN version. If I can find room in the budget, I was going to buy whichever one I don't have. I want the TN panel for gaming and the IPS monitor to build and edit videos for Youtube.

Not sure if this is PCpartpicker's mistake or if there is a real difference here.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I actually have the XB270HU, and it is a ips screen with Gsync. I vaguely remember something about the other letters that followed the name, but don’t recall what they were. You could always contact Acer with your serial number.