Suggestions for case fans for Chieftec DX-01WD wanted

Moohooya

Oct 10, 1999
I'm thinking about running a dual xp system in a Chieftec DX-01WD. As I understand it, these come with no case fans, so I'm looking at adding two to start with. I'd like as large and slow as possible to maximise cooling while minimising noise.

DX-01WD specs

My system will start fairly bare. Two 1700-1800xp, a couple of SCSI drives, and a CD-ROM. I will later add a DVD and/or CD-RW but they won't generate much heat as I don't burn CD's often. (Do I need 3 fans, or is 2 plenty?)

Does anyone have one of these and know if anything larger than an 80mm fan will fit? Also, what are peoples fan suggestions?

If you think I'm looking at the wrong case, please let me know. This case is available at newegg for $90.

Thanks all

punkrawket

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2001
the largest fan you can use without any modification is 80mm

i have the antec version of that case and it came with two antec fans.. and i added two other generic fans.... i don't give a hoot about my computer being quiet ( i have a delta fan on my hs )... but if you do care about sound.... i suggest getting 4 80mm panaflows....

as for how many fans... just to keep your system cool... especially running dual proc... i suggest filling all 4 fan holders

RGT168

Dec 3, 2001
I think Punk is right...use all 4 fan holders. That is a pretty good case with plenty of space for air flow. You should definitely have 4 fans for the dual system.

Moohooya

Oct 10, 1999
4, yikes, but I guess if that is what is needed I won't argue.

Any suggestions for the HS and HSF?

Thanks for the help

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Yikes! I'm just about to tip over the edge and order that same case from newegg, and was looking for fan recommendations too. Thanks
Moohooya!

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i also have the antec version of that.. love the case. put 4 Panaflo L1As (from bgmicro of couse :) ) and one on my Alpha PAL8045. not as quiet as a hoped. that's probably due to the chipset fan/videocard fan. it's no louder than my other computers that just have a heatsink/fan combo and power supply in it.. so considering there are so many fans in there, it's pretty quiet.