Suggestions about asking for a raise at work ? story inside

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
well here is the short and skinny of this

i work in a hospital as a therapist, been there for 2 years, a therapist for 6 years. i have been all over the contry and have a ton of experience. currently i work part time and go to school full time...

a new hospital was built this year less than one mile away and a good friend in the dept went to be the boss over at the new place, since then about 3 of the 12 employees in my dept have left...all fulltime...and a poss of a 4th going. I don't really care about each place either way since i am going to grad in less than a year anyways

so here is the deal, i just decided to take an every weekend pos at my current job...which is fri and sat night at 1.5 of my base plus a differential of 15% for the shift...so around another $4 per hour.

i am tempted to go to my boss now and basically tell her i have been offered another job with simular circumstances (every weekend pos) at the new hospital only that the financial aspect of the offer is higher that what i am currently making...and if she has any interest in trying to meet Or beat the offer to persuade me to stay working there.

the only reason i think this might work is there are now only 2 other people working night shift...and we are supposedto haev 2 people working on every night....so there just isn't enough peeps to work...and the idea of me quitting after 3 other night peeps have already left kinda puts the cards in my favor.

so what do you think is this a feasable idea or no ???

if you think it is how should i word this to my boss ??? by the way we get along pretty good

thanks

leeland

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
You're getting a $4/hr raise and you want more? Kick your boss while she's down. :p

But, couldn't hurt to ask. Just tell her straight that you're considering an offer for the same schedule but the pay rate is higher, would she match as you'd prefer to stay there but need the money.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It sounds to me that in your field it's likely that if you tell her not that you have another job, but that without a raise you'll have to start looking for one, she isn't going to simply terminate you and find somebody else. In most fields it would be a bad move, but in yours I think you can be honest because they'll likely keep you on board as long as you're willing to stay there. So simply tell her that you want more pay because you're thinking of leaving, and you'd like to see if they can do something about it.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
I agree, be straight with her. You have another offer, but you'll stay if she ups it to the same salary. Just find out when she's in a good mood and do it.

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
I'm confused. Do you HAVE another offer? If so, do that. No problem asking. If not, I would not recommend making one up.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
You're getting a $4/hr raise and you want more? Kick your boss while she's down. :p

But, couldn't hurt to ask. Just tell her straight that you're considering an offer for the same schedule but the pay rate is higher, would she match as you'd prefer to stay there but need the money.

no the $4 part everyone gets for working nights

it is a % based off of your base wage...so i am not getting anything special there...and what i would want is nothing to huge either...it would only be the equivilant of around 2-3 dollars more an hour...but the way i look at it...she is inbetween a rock and a hard place because she is going to have to pay agency staff for the open holes on the schedule...and they aren't cheap...roughly 50-70 dollars an hour...so she is getting off cheap with reg staff

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: leeland
well here is the short and skinny of this

i work in a hospital as a therapist, been there for 2 years, a therapist for 6 years. i have been all over the contry and have a ton of experience. currently i work part time and go to school full time...

a new hospital was built this year less than one mile away and a good friend in the dept went to be the boss over at the new place, since then about 3 of the 12 employees in my dept have left...all fulltime...and a poss of a 4th going. I don't really care about each place either way since i am going to grad in less than a year anyways

so here is the deal, i just decided to take an every weekend pos at my current job...which is fri and sat night at 1.5 of my base plus a differential of 15% for the shift...so around another $4 per hour.

i am tempted to go to my boss now and basically tell her i have been offered another job with simular circumstances (every weekend pos) at the new hospital only that the financial aspect of the offer is higher that what i am currently making...and if she has any interest in trying to meet Or beat the offer to persuade me to stay working there.

the only reason i think this might work is there are now only 2 other people working night shift...and we are supposedto haev 2 people working on every night....so there just isn't enough peeps to work...and the idea of me quitting after 3 other night peeps have already left kinda puts the cards in my favor.

so what do you think is this a feasable idea or no ???

if you think it is how should i word this to my boss ??? by the way we get along pretty good

thanks

leeland
Just sleep with her. She'll get the idea. :p

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
That's a shady way to ask for a raise. If you feel like you deserve a raise, then don't be a wimp. Just ask for it and keep everything on the up-and-up. If you've done all that you say you have then it seems like a reasonable request. Plus you're boss will resepect you for having confidance in yourself and it won't bring you loyalties into question like asking you boss to "price-match" with another position would. Of course if you DON'T like job security, you could always try it your way...

EDIT: I'm assuming that you DO NOT have another offer and you're planning on making up a story that suggests that you do. If you DO have another offer then asking her to match it is acceptable in my book.

Just My .02

Nothing wrong with asking for a raise if you feel you deserve it.

JR..

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: LakAttack
I'm confused. Do you HAVE another offer? If so, do that. No problem asking. If not, I would not recommend making one up.

sorry for being not clear, i did get an offer from my old collegue, i actuall ytalked to him last night, the only thing is the insurance at the new place sucks my nuts bad...so i am not really liking that...otherwise i would probably be workign there :)

but the wife likes the insurance I work better and she wears the pants in the family so i am kinda stuck....but the way i look at it is if my current boss isn't willing to pay me an extra 2-3 dollars more an hour...and she is going to have to pay agency staff 50 - 70 dollars an hour...well it is kinda a blow to the old ego

"we won't pay you 2 $ more an hour leeland, but i will pay johny the agency guy 38$ an hour "

so to say again, i did get offered a job last night on a friend friend deal over the phone....so if in a worse case senerio...i would just leave and go to the other place....but i am trying to go out on a limb

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002

sorry for being not clear, i did get an offer from my old collegue, i actuall ytalked to him last night, the only thing is the insurance at the new place sucks my nuts bad...so i am not really liking that...otherwise i would probably be workign there :)

but the wife likes the insurance I work better and she wears the pants in the family so i am kinda stuck....but the way i look at it is if my current boss isn't willing to pay me an extra 2-3 dollars more an hour...and she is going to have to pay agency staff 50 - 70 dollars an hour...well it is kinda a blow to the old ego

"we won't pay you 2 $ more an hour leeland, but i will pay johny the agency guy 38$ an hour "

so to say again, i did get offered a job last night on a friend friend deal over the phone....so if in a worse case senerio...i would just leave and go to the other place....but i am trying to go out on a limb

Then it depends on your relationship with your supervisor. If the relationship is good, tell her the truth about the other offer, but tell her you really want to stay, but finaically you have to consider this other offer. Essentially, ask them to give you a reason to stay. Figure out what the good insurance is worth to you in terms of an hourly rate, and see if they are willing to come close to the other offer.

yruffostsif

Sep 8, 2003
don't ever put your boss in a defensive position unless your ready to deal with the consequences. I would be straight up with her and ask about the posibility or timeline of a raise. No need to mention another job. If her answer is not satisfactory, then put in your two weeks.

there's an unwritten rule about counteroffers, never accept them. Your employer is just buying time to find your replacment.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000

Then it depends on your relationship with your supervisor. If the relationship is good, tell her the truth about the other offer, but tell her you really want to stay, but finaically you have to consider this other offer. Essentially, ask them to give you a reason to stay. Figure out what the good insurance is worth to you in terms of an hourly rate, and see if they are willing to come close to the other offer.

well our relationship is good, in terms of never having her pissed at me, and always being honest and stuff like that. your post is a very good one, it was what i was thinking but just couldn't put into words....thanks

leeland

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002

well our relationship is good, in terms of never having her pissed at me, and always being honest and stuff like that. your post is a very good one, it was what i was thinking but just couldn't put into words....thanks

leeland

I hope it works out for you. I've been in a similar situation in the past, and it is tough.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: yruffostsif
don't ever put your boss in a defensive position unless your ready to deal with the consequences. I would be straight up with her and ask about the posibility or timeline of a raise. No need to mention another job. If her answer is not satisfactory, then put in your two weeks.

there's an unwritten rule about counteroffers, never accept them. Your employer is just buying time to find your replacment.

well by just saying i ahve been offered a job doesn't mean i am going to take it, it just says to my boss

"hey....there have been 3 people to leave here in basically one months time...they must be paying more money than we are...leeland has just come to me and given me a choice...do i see if i can match his supposed offer or tell him to fly a kyte..."

i have worked there 2 years, and missed work 1 day....have good reviews...i don't think she would fire me if i was honest with her....

yruffostsif

Sep 8, 2003
Originally posted by: yruffostsif

well by just saying i ahve been offered a job doesn't mean i am going to take it, it just says to my boss

"hey....there have been 3 people to leave here in basically one months time...they must be paying more money than we are...leeland has just come to me and given me a choice...do i see if i can match his supposed offer or tell him to fly a kyte..."

i have worked there 2 years, and missed work 1 day....have good reviews...i don't think she would fire me if i was honest with her....

business is business, as anyone's boss, I'm always prepared.

My statement on counteroffers refers only to large corporations.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

it is a % based off of your base wage...so i am not getting anything special there...and what i would want is nothing to huge either...it would only be the equivilant of around 2-3 dollars more an hour...but the way i look at it...she is inbetween a rock and a hard place because she is going to have to pay agency staff for the open holes on the schedule...and they aren't cheap...roughly 50-70 dollars an hour...so she is getting off cheap with reg staff
:Q

<brushing up resume>

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur

:Q

<brushing up resume>

ha ha ha well the company actuall gets the money and then pays the staff around 32 or more i am not sure, the staf doesn't get all that money though :)