Suggestion for a quiet gaming keyboard.

drthrd

May 4, 2010
The only 2 I have fount so far is Logitech G710 Plus Brown and Corsair Cherry MX Silent. Is there more than just these two? The Logitech G710 Plus Brown is older but still has software support. I have a G502 mouse so already have their software installed. Corsair Cherry MX Silent is newer but is it better?

I am new to gaming keyboards how much of a difference is there between Cherry MX Silent Red and Cherry MX Brown switches? One with a wrist rest would be nice but not a biggy. I do not care about lighting or any of that. I just want a good one that would last awhile and perform well. I was looking for something around $50 but I do not see that happening so far. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I have a Logitech G610 with Cherry MX Reds. With rubber o-rings installed under each keycap, it's not loud at all since the o-rings dampen the impact between the keycap and the switch. It's still louder than a keyboard using membrane switches, of course, but not so loud as to be annoying in any way.

In any case, I recommend the MX Reds since they're linear, there is no tactile feedback on the actuation point so there's no clicking noise besides the noise made when you release a key and the spring in the switch pushes it back up. Keyboards using MX Reds also tend to be cheaper than those using MX Browns.

Rubber o-rings you can find on eBay. You probably have to buy a keycap remover tool separately (in order to install the o-rings), not all keyboards come supplied with one.

I am new to gaming keyboards how much of a difference is there between Cherry MX and Brown switches?

Cherry MX comes in many flavors and Brown is one of them. Here's a good intro to Cherry switches: http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I recommend the MX Reds since they're linear, there is no tactile feedback on the actuation point
Gah, isn't that the whole point of a mech. keyboard? Tactile feedback on actuation? I guess I prefer the Blue switches, although I still like buckling spring better.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Gah, isn't that the whole point of a mech. keyboard? Tactile feedback on actuation? I guess I prefer the Blue switches, although I still like buckling spring better.
Isn't the whole point of a mechanical keyboard that the switch is mechanical? ...

Even without tactile feedback, MX Red is much nicer to type on (and to game on) than a membrane switch.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I mean, I'm not knocking your personal preference in any way, but I guess I like mech. keyboards, precisely, because I can "feel" when I've actually hit a key. Makes it seem so much faster to type on.

drthrd

May 4, 2010
I have been looking some more and fount this. But for the price I would be better off buying the Corsair STRAFE Cherry MX Silent. I see some places put the Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent on sale sometimes for $100 or less. As long as the keyboard uses Cherry MX switches I can change out the switches right?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As long as the keyboard uses Cherry MX switches I can change out the switches right?

I don't think so. You can change the keycaps, but I think that the switches are soldered on. I could be wrong, though. Please inform me if I am.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
You can swap stems and springs by popping the top cover off the switch. This is easier on PCB-mounted switches due to having open access to the tabs holding the switch casing together. Most keyboards are plate-mounted and the plate will somewhat block those tabs. Plenty of Youtube videos showing people popping the tops off of plate-mounted switches though, so it can be done. You have to desolder to replace the actual switch, at which point you can remove the entire switch assembly. I don't know if you can buy individual internals, so you would probably end up desoldering and replacing the whole switch assembly or disassembling every single switch on both the keyboard and the replacement switches to get to the internals.