Suggestion for a psu

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by jasmeenarora, Dec 12, 2012.

1. jasmeenarora

jasmeenarora Junior Member

guys i need a psu for my old pc i bought this pc back in 2008
    config is
    core 2 duo e4600@ 2.40 Ghz
    intel d945gcnl motherboard
    3 gb ddr2 ram 667 mhz
    lg IDE dvd rw

my psu is giving noise and vibrating it is not of a reputed company ;)
    local thing
    or should i get a new pc
    i am not at all a gamer
    reply asap

2. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

Where are you located?

If your PC isn't giving you trouble other than the PSU, no real reason to upgrade. However there are benefits to be had for everyday use (internet, office stuff etc) from installing the operating system on an SSD. It'll make the PC feel much faster and responsive. Your motherboard has SATA 3gb/s ports so you're covered.

3. riva2model64

riva2model64 Member

lehtv is right, there's no real reason to replace the PSU if your computer is working fine.

Core 2 Duo e4600 is still decently fast, so the system has plenty of life left.

The only concern is that I've seen no-name brand PSU take out motherboards when they die.

If you'd like to continue using it, I'd invest in a low cost PSU from a name brand (antec, corsair, seasonic) with atleast 300w, particularly if its on sale. Cooler Master and other brands also have good products, just make sure to google them.

Something like this comes to mind http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151085 , but there are a lot of power supplies under $30 that will also do the job. If you live near a microcenter, they have lots of overstock PSUs that they sell for a really good price.

4. lehtv

lehtv Lifer

What I really meant was that if the PSU is the only component that's not working properly, there's no real reason to upgrade the whole system

5. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

I wouldn't touch it if it wasn't giving you problems. Just sounds like the fan is going bad. If you have a friend who's handy enough they could probably replace it.

If you're in the US, a Corsair CX430 goes for around $20-30 and is probably the best in that price range.

6. riva2model64

riva2model64 Member

Sorry I misinterpreted that. That makes a lot more sense:thumbsup:

+1 for Eureka's suggestion. The CX430 was once on sale for $15 after rebates:eek: