Suggestion for a first credit card?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm a college kid, never had a credit card before (never really needed one) but now I'm looking to pick one up. Anyone have any suggestions for where to go for a card, or what specifically to look for? I plan on doing some reading up, before signing up.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
1) Pay it in full every month
2) I got the Charles Schwab Visa CC probably a month after I turned 18, might want to give that a shot

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
If necessary, get a secured card. This is where you send them $, and they send you a card with that $ as the credit limit. This is a *real* credit card, not a debit/check card you get from a bank that is hooked up to your checking account. Some places like hotels and rental car agencies won't accept debit/check cards.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Citibank Dividend platinum select for college students. visa or mastercard /thread

thehstrybean

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2004
AMEX Blue for Students looks good
CitiBank has a great Drivers Edge Dividend card for students. Gives you rewards on gas, but I couldn't get my card, even after I was approved, and citi has been NO help whatsoever, so I'll probably go with AMEX...

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
A credit card is the worst way to borrow money. But if you must, try and get one of the 0% interest deals over 12 months, then transfer it over to another brand with the same deal. This way you you'll never have to pay interest. Also (I?ve got 2) found the internet only credit cards to be better on interest rates.

Dec 10, 2005
Since the Citi Dividend Platinum Select is no longer offered on their website and being a college student, you may want to consider the MTVU card from Citi. It gives extra ThankYou points for bookstores, restaurants, and a few other things. A big plus is that Amazon.com is considered a bookstore, so if you buy from them, you can get even more points.

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Since the Citi Dividend Platinum Select is no longer offered on their website and being a college student, you may want to consider the MTVU card from Citi. It gives extra ThankYou points for bookstores, restaurants, and a few other things. A big plus is that Amazon.com is considered a bookstore, so if you buy from them, you can get even more points.

They are still available.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Chooser/ViewAll?ProspectID=F0B67D6A758448B6960BB78369278613&siteId=cb&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE">https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Ch......iteId=cb&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE</a>
#s 3 and 4 on the list.

RichUk, you don't have to borrow money on a credit card. Just pay it off in full each month. They are a convenient way to pay for everyday things, and track expenses. Not to mention making online purchases.

I would like to thank firefox spellchecker fro the correct spelling of "convenient", and "the".

edit: but I totally got hung out to dry on "for"

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: getbush
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

They are still available.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Ch......iteId=cb&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Choos...13&siteId=cb&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Chooser/ViewAll?ProspectID=F0B67D6A758448B6960BB78369278613&siteId=cb&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE">https://www.accountonline.com/............&SEARCH_CRITERIA_1=COLLEGE</a></a></a>
#s 3 and 4 on the list.

RichUk, you don't have to borrow money on a credit card. Just pay it off in full each month. They are a convenient way to pay for everyday things, and track expenses. Not to mention making online purchases.

I would like to thank firefox spellchecker fro the correct spelling of "convenient", and "the".

edit: but I totally got hung out to dry on "for"

Oh... didn't realize that. For a time, they were missing from the list. But since they changed the rewards program, I still think he'd be better off going with the mtvU card since it gives extra points per dollar spent at restaurants, bookstores, record stores, movie theaters, and video rental stores. Once you hit 10,000 ThankYou Points (meaning you spent $2000 at the places mentioned in the prior sentence), you can get $100 giftcards, meaning you're getting 5% back to spend somewhere instead of the measly 2% back at pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, and utilities from the new Dividend card (where you also need to build up $50 to get a rebate check).

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: everman
bettercreditcard.com
I'd stay away from capitalone.

What's wrong with Capital One? I've had them for 2 years with no problems. They have a lowest interest rate I've seen so far, no annual fee, etc.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Whatever you do, don't do this:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=38&threadid=1946330&enterthread=y

And I've had Capital One screw me a few times that was a PITA to get corrected. That was about 5 years ago. Long story short, they allow charges placed on cancelled accounts. No joke.

What to look for? Just look for one with no anual fee and a month grace period. Don't get a credit card "for emergency purposes only" because somehow a new t.v. and new stereo system always finds it's way under the "emergency" category. It's always good advice to never use the credit card to buy something you can't afford, and if you can do that, then you don't even have to worry about the interest rate, which always creeps up over time anyways, 10% cards soon become 25% cards without you ever realizing it.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Citi. If you get rejected, try for a lower line of credit via a store card like Target. Not that I think you'd get rejected but just in case...

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: cmv
Citi. If you get rejected, try for a lower line of credit via a store card like Target. Not that I think you'd get rejected but just in case...

The only reason Citi would reject you would be because of the low income you probably have as a college student, but that would only happen if you apply for a regular Citi card (I did this first time around). If you apply for the "college student" cards, you're almost guaranteed to get a card since those things are handed out like candy to college students (I got my Dividend card when I applied for the student version, $2000 line of credit, 20-25 day Grace Period, I think it has an 18% interest rate, but I always pay it off).

Just remember to be responsible with your card, always pay it off, never carry a balance, etc...

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: RichUK
A credit card is the worst way to borrow money. But if you must, try and get one of the 0% interest deals over 12 months, then transfer it over to another brand with the same deal. This way you you'll never have to pay interest. Also (I?ve got 2) found the internet only credit cards to be better on interest rates.

You don't use credit cards to borrow money...you use credit cards to build your credit history, for when you're eventually buying a house.

Never borrow money on a credit card.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Start small, only get a credit limit that you know you can pay off all at once if you need to. Do this because you might end up getting silly and spending all your "magic money" before you realize it.

After living will that and learning how to keep tabs on your credit card you can always get a larger credit limit.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
don't buy anything you can't afford that you don't need.

Plasma TV? not worth it.

pay bills if you're short for the month, ideal. it's survival first. pleasure later on.