Suggestion for a basic laptop

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
Ive been asked to suggestion for a basic laptop. Web browsing, YouTube, etc....You basic mom and pop laptop, nothing else.

Personally, Id at least go for lightweight, 4GB RAM and a i3. That's me personally.

Other than that, I don't think the person needs anything else.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I normally recommend a Pentium-class laptop as a minimum, Core i3 preferred (based on the assumption that the owner wants to run it as long as possible as opposed to the average upgrade junkie who stalks these forums :p).

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
I normally recommend a Pentium-class laptop as a minimum, Core i3 preferred (based on the assumption that the owner wants to run it as long as possible as opposed to the average upgrade junkie who stalks these forums :p).
Exactly. I think a Pentium will just last a bottom part of the life of a laptop.

What do you recommend? Model

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
It's really hard to give reasonable suggestions without knowing a budget, which vendors you're using, etc.

riahc3

Apr 4, 2014
It's really hard to give reasonable suggestions without knowing a budget, which vendors you're using, etc.
I actually asked yesterday about the budget and did not get a reply till today, sorry.

Its been confirmed that 400€ would be nice. Looking around for a i3 thats pushing it so, I imagine it can be someone flexiable.

Vendors? Im pretty open to anything HP, Dell, Asus, etc. Don't really care much plus it isnt for me. They do have a child if that helps and a certain vendor being more durable :p

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
For a basic laptop, I always look for a used Pentium M laptop with 1GB RAM for $40-$70 and put Linux on it. I've taken this route 4 times and have always been satisfied. The only issue I've noticed is that Youtube videos can sometimes stutter at 360p (depending on the complexity), but downloading them plays fine. I wouldn't buy new when you can find used business class laptops that have better build quality and cost 1000% less.