suggest me with best processer

jeevanbobba

Mar 3, 2012
Hello i am planing to buy a new system for virtulization.
plz suggest me good CPU and MOBO.

I am planing to go with AMD FX 8150 cpu, is that a good option?
if yes plz suggest good MOBO for that CPU.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It is extremely interesting that months after it came out, suddenly, as of a week or two ago, magically brand new people are coming out of the woodwork, trying to make up situations that they should buy those processors.

Very interesting. hmmm.

The Xeon or a 2600k is a better choice. More "cores" does not really equate to being more suitable for virtualization.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I guess that might be why jpeyton suggested a Xeon then...

Yup.

Unless you're virtualizing high processor loads (honestly, only specific scenarios do that), what performs best is higher single threaded performance, with enough concurrent threads that you don't kill your performance with context switching. The reason virtualization gained such popularity is that most servers processors sat idle a large percentage of the time. We all started combining enough of them that we weren't throwing money away at unused hardware, but still got the isolation we needed for individual VMs (as opposed to installing many apps on a single OS). Where we end up hitting limits, in most cases, is that we run out of memory volume or disk performance before we come anywhere close to exhausting processor power overall (though individual threads will from time to time, spike a single core, hence the desirability of high single thread performance).

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
jeevanbobba,

Please say what your budget is and what you want to use the computer for, then people may be able to suggest something more relevant for your needs.