Suggest Best XFire Mobo plz

CrimsonKnight

Mar 5, 2005
I've been looking at the Asus MVP or the DFI Lanparty UT. AAT gave the Asus a great review, but the user reviews @ newegg suggest otherwise. The Asus does have the HD audio plus the ULi SB, but the DFI has 8 ch audio and more OC options, however it used the "crappy" ATI southbridge. Any comments/suggestions on these boards or any others?

I've lived long enough with my ATi 9800 Pro and to upgrade my vid card i need a PCIe mobo...and the X1900XT is looking tempting.....

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
imo the Abit AT8 look betters at the moment but it's so new that there is only limited feedback available.
The ASUS obviously has problems judging by the forums & the DFI & Sapphire have the poor ATi SB450 whereas the Abit has the better ULi 1575.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
ABIT seems to have problem with BIOS and memory setting.. Asus is rock stable, and only lack some high OC option. MSI has one too ..
Tom's hardware had a look at some of them, and there is one review of the Abit posted in the thread about the Abit somewhere here.

CrimsonKnight

Mar 5, 2005
Ok so the Asus is out...heh

Now its down to DFI, Abit, MSI

I was going to wait for SB600, a few months ago it was slated for early '06 release....now i'm reading April/May...ugh...

The HD audio is nice...but for some reason it doesn't come in 8 ch like the AC97 chips do (at least not on the Asus board)...i wonder why, with the xfire as a future choice i may make, if i ever to decide to go surround, that would eat up one of my precious PCI slots, so 8ch onboard audio is nice to have.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Heidfirst
Originally posted by: grooge
Asus is rock stable, and only lack some high OC option.
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/44/91.html

Yup, as I said, it lack oveclocking option, but from the ones I've seen, they run stable and fast for normal operation.

Maybe it is only some some of my friend that got good board and the rest of the world all the bad ones...

Anyway, the Abit can be a good one too, but when a board ship with screwed BIOS ..well, I just hope that it can be fixed with a BIOS release... not 10 like some nforce4 motherboard...

CrimsonKnight

Mar 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Heidfirst
Originally posted by: CrimsonKnight
The HD audio is nice...but for some reason it doesn't come in 8 ch like the AC97 chips do (at least not on the Asus board)..
AT8 is 7.1
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Abit/AT8/13

Yes it is 7.1, but it is AC97, not the HD Audio like on the Asus

EDIT: "8 Channel Realtek ALC882 Audio, SPDIF" from the techpowerup review, newegg.com said AC97, i guess they were wrong.