Suggest a new car for me ($20k - $26k)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

777joee

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well if you must waste your money on vanity at least get a 5 speed to play with.................

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Just to throw a few more possibilities out there: Volvo S40, Mazda 626, Mazda Millenia (these are selling way below invoice), Saab 9-3, Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Stratus R/T, Cadillac Catera (also sell for way below invoice).

w9design

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2000
I've got an 2001 Audi 1.8T.
Suffice it to say, I'm happy as a clam.
My second Audi (got an '00 A6) and it certainly won't be the last.

It's a SUPER car. Refined yet sporty :)...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you are looking for a NAME on the grill of your car, look no further than the Benz symbol on the front of the new 230 Sport Coupe

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
I have a 20001 A4 1.8T and I have been very happy with my purchase thus far. It comes with 170hp (decent but not overwhelming) and can easily be "chipped" to over 200hp with an ECU modification. The exterior is classy and the interior is a work of art IMO!
Since the 2002s will be coming out this fall you may be able to get a decent deal on a '01 model (shoot for 3% over invoice). Other models to consider may be the Subie WRX or the new Benz Sport Coupe.

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
Mister:

The answer is obvious. Get yourself a slightly used Acura 3.2 TL. It has leather, Bose speaker package with separate subwoofer, Xenon HID lights, heated seats, integrated audio antenna (much cooler than non integrated), driver side lumbar support, power seats, Sporshifting, 225 horses, v-6, Acura name brand and reliability, Acura resale value, fairly good Gas mileage. 0-60 at 6.7 seconds, and the list goes on. Did i mention all of these features were standard? The only option you can get is Navi for this car. I have this car and its awesome, I reccomend you consider it. Comptech, Mugen, Eibach, etc. have performance products for it. Check out Acura-Tl.com for more.

In my opinion, it is much better than 1.8 Turbo Jetta.. I mean Audi. They are nice as well, and chipped they can be fast but its too small for my taste. I prefer having a mid sized REAL luxury/sports sedan instead of a compact car. With Bodykit the car looks a lot better than an Audi in my opinion as well. This car is the best bang for the buck under 30k new. If you don't mind size, I think the Audi will be a good choice though as well. My previous car was a compact so for me, the extra comfort and ride and safety of the TL (w/o compromising performance) was a HUGE step up. Sometimes when i see so many of my fellow college students driving civics and integras i wonder why i have such a luxury car.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
2002 nissan maxima se. its a muscle car with 4 doors. 260HP, 6 speed (or 4 speed slushbox), 17" wheels, etc. and looks like nothing else. (well, maybe the sentra...)

bose audio is overrated. definitly should not be a selling point (stupid americans believe anything they see in advertising... its sick.)

MisterServer

Dec 29, 1999
anyone have any experience with the volvo s40? i like how it looks and seems to have decent power but i haven't gotten around to test driving or sitting in one.

about the acura tl: i like the car's appearance to an extent but i really want to avoid shelling out money for a used car(have had horrible experience with my last car which was a used 91 integra). i'd rather just spend the money on a newer lower model than a used higher model. Plus, i want my new car to be either 5-spd or 6-spd cuz i want to get the most out of my engine's powertrain.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I don't have any personal experience driving the S40, but it gets generally good reviews. From what I've read, it's a very safe car (duh), it's roomy/comfortable inside, and it looks pretty good. The complaints I have seen from reviewers is that it's not quite sporty enough and the options are way too expensive. Also, from looking at some message boards, the S40 might have some reliability issues.

From your responses, it looks like you want something European, so I don't think you're going to go wrong with your original choice of the A4. It's got a small back seat, but that's not one of your main concerns. Furthermore, a somewhat revised A4 is coming out this fall, so you should be able to find a pretty good deal on the 2001s in the upcoming months.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
2002 Maxima SE!!! 260hp, 6-spd tranny, lsd, bose, leather, 17inch rims, distinctive styling, etc...what more could you want?

I think BOSE is great in car audio..alteast for a stock system. I have bose in my Maxima..and it sound great. I'm not the kinda person who would put in aftermakret speakers so it sounds good to me. Mind you I"m coming from a two-speaker system in a base model Corolla. So anything sounds good to me.

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Another vote for the V6, 5-speed Passat.

I was test driving last summer...I tried the Passat & loved it. Even the 4cyl isn't bad....very fun to drive for a "family car." I tested out the Accord V-6..it drove very nicely, but it was quite boring (also no 5-speed available in the V6 model). You can definately tell the manufacturer's differing philosophies when driving these two different cars. The VW is definately for those who want to "DRIVE" their car.

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I looked at the Audi's when i was looking for my car but for what i wanted on one was gonna push me to 33K or so which i did not want to do since 30K was my limit. Overall i dont think you can go wrong with either of them.

Viper22

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but you might try a Toyota Celica GTS if you want something a little more sporty without getting into the full-fledged "sports cars" and the full-fledged insurance that goes with them. It will definatley be very reliable & will be much more fun to drive than your typical family sedan. I had an old celica (not nearly as beefy as the new ones) for quite a while & enjoyed driving it.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I had a chance to sit in the S40. The interior was horrible.
The A4 chipped has quite a lot of performance. But I drive an suv so anytime I sit in my friends chipped 1.8t it feels fast as hell.
New RSX looks very nice, but it'll be hard to bargain for like you experienced.
TL and CL are over your budget, but try picking up a used one, I love those two cars. Too bad there's no manny...
The Accord does have a manual, but only on the four cylinder =D
Passat is also very nice. Better deal than the A4 in terms of functionality.

bigshot

Feb 13, 2001
from a different approach...why not look at a new trans am or camero SS...that should be in your price range and they are quick, very quick

Hexametaphosphate

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have to go with the Passat.... I have a '99 Passat that I just got and I love it. Unfortunately, it's the 4 banger.... still good, but I'm drooling over what that car would be like with the 6. Even with the 4 banger, it's fun to drive, will do at least 130 MPH, hugs the road, and is fairly quite at interstate speed and higher. I love mine.... good stock system if you're not a huge audiophile, nothing to complain about except the cupholders on the '99s..... they suck.

:)

-Hex..