Suggest a 44" to 46" long wooden or other material board

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I scored a 50 inch 4k vizio for only $348+tax but it doesn't fit on the top of the drawers. I'm looking for a board about 44"-46" long (I cannot go wider than 48" due to the width between the bedroom and closet door), maybe 12"-18" depth and something that is pretty thick and beefy to withstand the weight of the TV (maybe 1" thick).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just go to home depot and get a piece of wood?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
How big are the drawers you want to sit this on?

Maybe a new or used countertop?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Just go get a piece of wood and have them cut it on site. Sand it, stain it, paint it, do whatever you please!

The real thing you need to look for are sturdy and eye-appealing bookshelf brackets. Also, make sure you get appropriate weight rated screws. If you aren't familiar with locating a stud, get a stud finder as well.

Most hardware stores are quite lacking in the bracket area.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I found this while 48"x12" board while browsing the homedepot website and stopped by to purchase one on my way home since it is almost exactly what I was looking for. It's not very high quality, but this setup is a temporary situation anyway and it was less than $10 before tax. The board was available in several colors so I picked one out that matched my dresser. It feels sturdy enough to hold the weight of the TV so I can't wait to test it out later today.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...MERCH=REC-_-nosearch2_rr-_-NA-_-100118601-_-N

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
If it sags too much, get a 1x2 oak board at home depot. They are in a rack in longer lengths. Look down it to see it is straight, and cut it with the saw and table to the length you desire.
Fasten that to the front edge to stiffen it up, with the 1x2 set with the 2" dimension vertical.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
So I was going to set the board on top of my dresser when I got an idea for a slightly different layout. I removed a small foldable plastic table that housed my monitor and random junk (mostly mail) and was just able to squeeze my dress in the area while still being able to open my closet door. Then I took 2 rubbermaid containers from the closet and placed them side by side, put the new board on top of them, and put the TV on top of the board. This is much more stable, looks soooo much better, I don't have to worry about the board sagging on the sides, the TV and board is not high enough to interfere with the light switch, and does not make the room as claustrophobic so I'm pretty happy about it.

Wall mounting the TV would probably be even better, but I cannot add extra holes in the wall at my current residence.