Sugest Cloud Storage Options for multi-TB Setups

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Hi Guys - I need to add a third place to backup all my data. Currently have it on my local PC, then onto USB drives I keep at my job. But I'd like to add a cloud based backup option as well. Right now I need about 4TB of cloud storage and in the next year or two I could easily see adding another 1-2TB to that. About 90% of all the data is videos/photos from my time doing Photography/Videography. Then other 'stuff' that is microscopic compared to the video/photo data. It will be wide mix of file types for music, video, documents, etc, etc. Max file size is perhaps 16gb (for videos) for the worst offenders.

The only thing I found reasonably priced is Microsoft One Drive unlimited storage for $120 a year. Anyone have any other ideas? It's A LOT of data I need to park.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Google Drive is $99 for 10TB.

If Microsoft’s plan is truly unlimited, I’d say go with that.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Amazon Glacier cold storage is $4 per TB per month.

Anything less than that is probably going to run into either terms of use limitations where they don't really let you store any files that you want, or the "unlimited" plan will change on you abruptly after you've spend days uploading all your data, or the company will end its service completely.

(It's possible that Microsoft will keep offering their service at that price, if enough people are paying $120/year but storing less than 2 TB. I just would not count on that.)

For 5+ TB a cheaper option might be a bank safe deposit box as a second physical off-site backup.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Another vote for backblaze. We've also looked at Wasabi for a few things but haven't actually used them for anything yet. I'd be a little cautious the big players like AWS or Azure. Their complicated pricing (api calls, lifecycle transition costs, ingress or egress fees, etc) can quickly balloon your bill if you dont use it 'correctly' or your needs change

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I use Backblaze.

Referrals are not allowed.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
OneDrive max is 1TB. I don't think the cloud solutions like onedrive, google drive or dropbox are necessarily the good for large backups.

Backblaze or Carbonite are probably your best bets.

Amazon AWS or MS Azure solutions are geared for big datasets, but that is a roll your own solution.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Another vote for Backblaze.

$5/month per computer for unlimited storage. Depending on your speed it will take quite a while to get it all uploaded at first but that is true no matter who you use. If you ever need to restore all of your data they will ship you a 4TB drive and as long as you return it within 30 days they will refund what you paid for it. I wish they did that for uploads too but we can't get everything we want I guess.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
The only thing I'd caution about Backblaze is that it will delete your files from the cloud if the local copy is missing for more than 30 days. That means you can't use it to backup external drives unless you want to leave them hooked up all the time. It's a reasonable limitation, I think, but something to keep in mind.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The only thing I'd caution about Backblaze is that it will delete your files from the cloud if the local copy is missing for more than 30 days. That means you can't use it to backup external drives unless you want to leave them hooked up all the time. It's a reasonable limitation, I think, but something to keep in mind.

I believe thats only true for their 'backup' options. They also have their B2 Cloud with a different pricing model

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
I believe thats only true for their 'backup' options. They also have their B2 Cloud with a different pricing model

Yes, that's right. I use B2 for some of my smaller backups. However, B2 gets expensive once you have a lot of data to store. It's $5/TB/Month.

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions to check out backblaze. I sent them an email and they pretty much encouraged me not to use the service. They said it's really more for live, continuous backups and not meant for longterm data storage. Particularly if I'm switching around external drives and only need to backup 2-4 times a year at most. The price is great, not really an option for me. This still leaves OneDrive for $120 a year. And to add, AWS or Azure aren't for me. I'm not running a business.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Yet another vote for Backblaze. Lost count of how many years I've been using them. They're great!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions to check out backblaze. I sent them an email and they pretty much encouraged me not to use the service. They said it's really more for live, continuous backups and not meant for longterm data storage. Particularly if I'm switching around external drives and only need to backup 2-4 times a year at most. The price is great, not really an option for me. This still leaves OneDrive for $120 a year. And to add, AWS or Azure aren't for me. I'm not running a business.

Are the external drives the primary storage location for any of your data, or are you just using them as one means of backup? And why would backing up more frequently be a bad thing? It's not really clear why Backblaze couldn't work for you.