'Suffocating Pressure' - White House 'censorship'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
It was crap then and it's the same now. Surprising? No, but disappointing that the "unbush" turned out to be more like him than not, and of course Bush wouldn't be the first. The country we live in is "the same old thing all over again". What strikes me isn't that it's done so much as people will defend it.

That's essentially it. Obama is Dubya 2.0, only with extra authoritarian douchiness.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I'm enjoying all the deflections from the Left so far; attack the person posting, attack source, unveiled personal attack, entirely unrelated derailment attempt, etc. etc.. Of course, the more irrational and abusive they become, the more you know how much an issue bothers them, though they can't admit it, being the muppets that they are. :awe:

This. It is wrong when Republicans do it and it is certainly wrong when Democrats do it. Any pressure from any branch of government to control the message is simply wrong.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
And your partisan hackery couldn't possibly understand that the White House of any administration shouldn't be putting pressure on people, right or left.

Says the partisan hack.

Boehner tells the Heritage Foundation to shut it after trying out their, "Give us what we want or we'll destroy America," plan and finding just how badly it works out when you listen to blind ideologues, and, of course, that's "free speech," as far as you're concerned. But Obama tells ThinkProgress that their far left whiners are retarded, that he won't be listening to retardation, and that it doesn't help the cause of progress to put forth unworkable wish-lists as the standard by which present actions should be measured, and the higher ups in ThinkProgress agree and shutter the nutters, and you think this is dictatorial action?

This is why you're called, "Conservatards."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm enjoying all the deflections from the Left so far; attack the person posting, attack source, unveiled personal attack, entirely unrelated derailment attempt, etc. etc.. Of course, the more irrational and abusive they become, the more you know how much an issue bothers them, though they can't admit it, being the muppets that they are. :awe:

Review the thread. I believe it was you who became abusive with your opening post to this thread. That would be #14. Perhaps you didn't notice because that's your usual method of operation.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Says the partisan hack.

Boehner tells the Heritage Foundation to shut it after trying out their, "Give us what we want or we'll destroy America," plan and finding just how badly it works out when you listen to blind ideologues, and, of course, that's "free speech," as far as you're concerned. But Obama tells ThinkProgress that their far left whiners are retarded, that he won't be listening to retardation, and that it doesn't help the cause of progress to put forth unworkable wish-lists as the standard by which present actions should be measured, and the higher ups in ThinkProgress agree and shutter the nutters, and you think this is dictatorial action?

This is why you're called, "Conservatards."

If I supported prior efforts by previous Presidents in attempting similar coersion you would have a point but I didn't so you don't. In this case the pressure from the single most powerful political office was caused by the reporting of a factual event with potential deadly consequence. That the surge may have been justified is irrelevant. My opinion based on what was known at the time was that it was reasonable to try. Again, irrelevant. This is about that powerful entity, the White House and by extension it's head, using its power to suppress the truth.

Now try to find where I've supported such behavior before regardless of party and you will fail miserably as usual. For one who so often boasts of a superior mind you clearly lack the ability to understand the simplest things and apply then uniformly. You fail miserably.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Review the thread. I believe it was you who became abusive with your opening post to this thread. That would be #14. Perhaps you didn't notice because that's your usual method of operation.

But you really started it when you hit the elbow of an atheist who was picking his nose in the 15 century.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I don't see anyone defending it. I see people acknowledging it and explaining how the system works.

Now what I don't see is anyone from any party or anyone on this board saying how this kind of stuff needs to stop. All I see is mud slinging because the "other team" got caught.

Propaganda comes from all sides of the isle and from all walks of life, it's never going away. The only thing that can counter propaganda is a person who is willing to verify the truth and knows how. It's why I always try to point out obvious propaganda and get on people for repeating talking points who obviously haven't fact checked the information they are repeating.

If the allegation is untrue then I am factually wrong, however I didn't see where this is the case. Perhaps I missed that?

Considering that political pressure against the expression of disfavorable opinion exists I maintain that is wrong regardless be it Bush, Obama or Teddy Roosevelt. It's worse when used against inconvenient truths.

As far as folks round here not defending, the person with the horse fetish and narcissistic personality disorder I previously quoted did so based on rather absurd reasons. "Jimmy punched Johnny in the nose so Jenny can hit Johnny too" reasoning never works as true justification, and the damn fools never figure out that they themselves are Johnny.

In the grand scheme of things this is business as usual, but that attitude of acceptance leads to all manner of mischief. Johnny should say "stop hitting me".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wait, are people suddenly shocked that the White House is a political organization? You guys realize that basically every White House in all of modern American history has done exactly this (and much, much worse), right?

I'm frankly baffled that people would think this is news. Then again, the Daily Caller isn't exactly known for being a top notch journalistic enterprise, it's yet another of the extreme right wing sites that serves up chum for the rubes.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Sigh many of you people still don't get it there

They are not a news organization, there is no censorship. Poor Zaid Jilani
doesn't get to write what ever he wants.

How we work
Through dialogue with leaders, thinkers, and citizens, we explore the vital issues facing America and the world. We develop a point of view and take a stand. We then build on that and develop bold new ideas. We shape the national debate. We share our point of view with everyone who can put our ideas into practice and effect positive change. That means online, on campus, in the media, on the shop floor, in faith communities, and in the boardroom. Our progressive partners—including the CAP Action Fund—take our ideas to Congress and statehouses.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Sigh many of you people still don't get it there

They are not a news organization, there is no censorship. Poor Zaid Jilani
doesn't get to write what ever he wants.

How we work
Through dialogue with leaders, thinkers, and citizens, we explore the vital issues facing America and the world. We develop a point of view and take a stand. We then build on that and develop bold new ideas. We shape the national debate. We share our point of view with everyone who can put our ideas into practice and effect positive change. That means online, on campus, in the media, on the shop floor, in faith communities, and in the boardroom. Our progressive partners—including the CAP Action Fund—take our ideas to Congress and statehouses.

People don't "get" your point of view because nobody else shares it. They don't share it, because it makes no sense. This notion that only a news organization can be censored is bizarre. I'm starting to think you're Canadian because their free speech laws are quite different than our first amendment laws here.

Mr. Jilani quit his job because he did not want to be censored by the White House by way of his employer.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I don't see anyone defending it. I see people acknowledging it and explaining how the system works.

Now what I don't see is anyone from any party or anyone on this board saying how this kind of stuff needs to stop. All I see is mud slinging because the "other team" got caught.

Propaganda comes from all sides of the isle and from all walks of life, it's never going away. The only thing that can counter propaganda is a person who is willing to verify the truth and knows how. It's why I always try to point out obvious propaganda and get on people for repeating talking points who obviously haven't fact checked the information they are repeating.

It'/s funny how when a lefty is caught with their hand in the cookie jar you are very quick to point out it's the way things are done and it's just fine since the previous administration did it. Now when a righty is caught with their hand in the cookie jar heads must roll!!!!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
People don't "get" your point of view because nobody else shares it. They don't share it, because it makes no sense. This notion that only a news organization can be censored is bizarre. I'm starting to think you're Canadian because their free speech laws are quite different than our first amendment laws here.

Mr. Jilani quit his job because he did not want to be censored by the White House by way of his employer.

Well people certainly share his point of view. The politicians and others work together and out of it comes "suggestions" from the powerful that facts be suppressed because it doesn't sell the agenda.

Well, every party has its hacks that will do as I said. They'll state that it's been going on and therefore give permission that it continue. When the tide turns I hope they remember their dedication to their principle that Presidents can coerce others in such fashion. My bet is that they won't.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Wait, are people suddenly shocked that the White House is a political organization? You guys realize that basically every White House in all of modern American history has done exactly this (and much, much worse), right?

I'm frankly baffled that people would think this is news. Then again, the Daily Caller isn't exactly known for being a top notch journalistic enterprise, it's yet another of the extreme right wing sites that serves up chum for the rubes.

So Jenny won't punch as hard and therefore it's OK. Okey doke.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008

Nope, that wasn't me. I think you really struggle with reading, in general. :confused:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Do you post threads about new drunk driving deaths? What about death by gang violence?

It's not new and until people start demanding action to stop such practices it's not news either.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Do you post threads about new drunk driving deaths? What about death by gang violence?

It's not new and until people start demanding action to stop such practices it's not news either.

What I do not does make posts attempting to justify or mitigate wrongs. No one posts on every topic as you know but in those which interest them for whatever reason. The powerful elected who take advantage of their trust and the thralls which support their efforts to do so would be one of mine as they are a cause of many evils. YMMV.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
Nope, that wasn't me. I think you really struggle with reading, in general. :confused:

Hmmm.. Arguing with someone with an onomatopoetical name expressing the groan heard from the bathroom the moment before an exceedingly large Turd hits the water...

Why would you do that???

Seriously

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Okay, so your argument is that the White House shouldn't be able to call up organizations and make complaints to them? Can you describe what else they should be prohibited from doing?

My guess is that nobody here has thought through how this would work, the feasibility of doing that, or the implications of it.

Forget the US, I'm not aware of a single government on the planet in all of human history that hasn't behaved that way.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm certain we can fully expect them to be screaming bloody murder.

Well considering it happened constantly under GWB there should be lots of threads from the past that you should be able to find about people screaming bloody murder. When can we expect some links?

Truly, tyranny has come to out shores when the iron fist of the government dials a phone and complains to someone.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
You have been posting psycho web sites as proof of conspiracy theories. You deserve to be mocked.
You need to work on your sense of humor a bit.

I am curious about the psycho web sites though. Any interest in compiling a list of those? I've been asking for a list of approved sites for quite a while so as an alternative those would suffice.