I will always love you
I will always love you

:brokenheart:

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You

Ahh, good taste, my man. I'm not a big Dolly Parton fan but "true" country kicks ass.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: SWScorch

Ahh, good taste, my man. I'm not a big Dolly Parton fan but "true" country kicks ass.

Yeah. This song makes me sad. Amounts of alcohol doesn't help anything. :p

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: S Freud
name of said song?

omg you're kidding, right?

I don't know this song either...

I will always love you

Whitney Houston version

In 1992 (see 1992 in music), singer Whitney Houston covered the song for the soundtrack to The Bodyguard (see The Bodyguard (soundtrack)), her film debut. The song was also referenced in the plot of the film itself. Houston was originally to record Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" as the lead single from The Bodyguard. However, when the producer discovered the song would be used for Fried Green Tomatoes, he asked her co-star Kevin Costner to find a new song. Originally not wanting to pick a country song, an oldies song (with not much of a country feel to it) would do. Houston reinterpreted the song as a soul ballad, showcasing her voice.

The song was a massive success, becoming a regular on countdown lists, appearing at number forty on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Pop Songs", number eight on VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years", and number one on VH1's "100 Greatest Love Songs". The single's video, credited to Alan Smithee, begins with the performance of the song Houston gives at the end of The Bodyguard. The video then cuts to Houston in a dark blue suit sitting in an empty theatre with the spotlight shining on her, singing of her love. The video is intercut with scenes from The Bodyguard.
[edit]

Chart performance

The single spent fourteen weeks at the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, a record that would not be broken until 1996 by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's duet, "One Sweet Day" (released in 1995). "I Will Always Love You" shares the record for being the longest running single by a female solo artist with Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" (2005). The single became Houston's longest run at number one, beating her previous record of three weeks with "Greatest Love of All" (1986). It is also the single from a soundtrack album with the longest run at number one.

The single debuted at number forty in the U.S., and became Houston's tenth number one hit two weeks later. It was the biggest and most successful single of Houston's career and for Arista Records. The song also dominated various other Billboard charts, spending fourteen weeks at the top of Billboard's singles sales chart (the most for a female artist) and eleven weeks at number one on its radio airplay chart. The song also hit number one for five weeks on the Adult Contemporary Chart and for eleven weeks on the R&B chart, and remained in the Top 40 for twenty-four weeks (Houston's longest stay to date).

The single sold modestly in its first week of release, but sold 396,000 copies in its second week, making it the fastest-selling single in a week (taking the record from Bryan Adams' "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You"). It broke its own record in the following three weeks, peaking at 632,000 copies in the week ending December 19 (when it broke the record for most singles sold in a week). It went on to sell over four million copies in the U.S. and another six million worldwide, making it the third best-selling single in the world, the second best selling single in the modern era (after Elton John's Candle in the Wind 1997), the biggest selling commercial single of all time, the biggest selling single by a female artist, and the biggest selling non-charity single.

The single was also a huge success in other countries, eventually topping the United Kingdom chart and Australia's ARIA Singles chart for ten weeks each, and became only the ninth song in history (and first by a female artist) to be at number one on the US, UK, and ARIA single charts simultaneously. It also topped the charts in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Germany, France, Japan, Denmark, The Netherlands, and several other countries. It is the only single to have a top the U.S., U.K., and Australian charts for 10 or more weeks on all three charts. The single was also named the top Australian single of the 1990s and is the world's biggest single ever released by a female artist.

The song stayed at number one in the United States throughout January and February in 1993, becoming the first time in history where Billboard didn't receive a new number one single until March. "I Will Always Love You" was ranked as the top U.S. single of 1993 by Billboard magazine. Similarly, in the UK, the song was ranked the number one single of 1992 and the number nine single of 1993, making the first time a single was ranked in the year-end top ten two years in a row. The strength of the single also pushed the soundtrack album for The Bodyguard to the number one position for twenty weeks, and it became the best-selling soundtrack of all time (with over thirty-seven million copies sold worldwide).
[edit]

Awards

* Grammy Awards
o Record of the Year
o Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
* American Music Awards
o Favorite Pop/Rock Female Single
o Favorite R&B/Soul Female Single
* Billboard Music Awards
o Top Selling Single of the Year
o Top Hot 100 Single of the Year
o Top R&B Selling Single of the Year
o Top R&B Single
* World Music Awards
o World's #1 Single of 1993
* MTV Movie Awards
o Best Song
* People's Choice Awards
o Favorite Female Music Video
* Soul Train Music Awards
o Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul Single, Female

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000

Yeah. This song makes me sad. Amounts of alcohol doesn't help anything. :p

Look at some pics of Dolly. They should cheer you up.