Successful YAGT...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Send her an email with a link to this thread. It will help her understand how you feel. :)

Bv3

Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: cpals
Send her an email with a link to this thread. It will help her understand how you feel. :)

This is the best idea so far.

Mavrick

Mar 11, 2001
Computer related questions are just a pretext to call you. Play it cool, be yourself (nothing wrong with putting emphasis on your brighter side though ;) and please, oh please, DON'T try to act confident by telling a stupid joke every 2 minutes with her (a lot of people, including me, do that...).

Best luck to you!

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Thanks! I knew the call would come, and it came at just the right time... the number said out of area so I almost didnt pick it up! I would have kicked myself over that one. I will definlty continue to play it cool, and hope to find out about the bf situation asap. She didnt mention it at all today, and she even mentioned how she was in the area where I worked today :p And as far as jokes go, I am not really a joke telling guy anyway. Thanks again.

-Bubbadu

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You will fit into the role of computer-friend-on-demand nicely.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Boooo.... you watch, I'll make something happen... I think she wants more than just help... well at least I hope she does :/

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
Your reading WAY to much into this, I would be willing to bet that she is using you b/c she can tell you are like a dog salivating over a steak. She see's that you are into her and she is using her looks to get exactly what she wants a free tutor. Give it a few more weeks and she will probably make up excuses as to not finishing a project or homework and then ask if you can "help". With "help" being a code word for doing all the work. This is my senior year of college and I have seen this exact same scenario countless time with myself and friends. But then again I could be completely wrong.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
Easiest way to find out is either A.) ask her out B.) Mention that you and your girlfriend are having problems, and you plan on braking it off with her (essentially lie about your relationship status in order to find out hers)

Palek

Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: bubbadu
what I think my stragedy is going to be is that shes really good in math, and she could help me there, while I could help her with programming. I think I will mention that today and she what she thinks about it.

Freudian slip? :D

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You'll know in a couple days if she's just using you for your l33t h4x0r skillz. Hopefully she's not!

If she is, be straight up and say you want a fair trade. Computer help for sex! ;)

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: kami
You'll know in a couple days if she's just using you for your l33t h4x0r skillz. Hopefully she's not!

If she is, be straight up and say you want a fair trade. Computer help for sex! ;)

He can't do that.. he already gets sexual favors from the computer already :Q

Now if he got her friends numbers then that would be an even trade off. You elite hackers always suprise me when your mentality is in the short term... you've got to think ahead... and getting head at the same time :D

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Yup. You'll be "the guy who can fix her computer", which is most definitely NOT b/f material. I'm so sorry.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001

Haha.. sounds like an even trade!

She told me that she had someone else look at her computer and they couldnt get it fixed... she could of said " I would have had my BOYFRIEND fix the computer", but she hasn't mentioned anything like that yet.. thus leaving the door open for myself :p My goal is to get her to hang out with me outside of class.. its just taking a little bit of time.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
if there is anything I have learned it is do not rush things. Back in freshman year, there was a pool amongst my suitemates about who could get the most girls during our last month of school. I, stupidly, tried all sorts of approaches to get girls in the sack but in the end most were pretty much futile. Girls don't like it when guys try to do something that is out of their character and they can spot it easily, so if your not a joke-telling suave kind of guy dont try to be one, it will only make things worse. Good luck with the girl.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Haha.. sounds like an even trade!

She told me that she had someone else look at her computer and they couldnt get it fixed... she could of said " I would have had my BOYFRIEND fix the computer", but she hasn't mentioned anything like that yet.. thus leaving the door open for myself :p My goal is to get her to hang out with me outside of class.. its just taking a little bit of time.

Dude you missed a golden opportunity, she wanted you to offer to fix it... This will put you in good with her, provided that you are ripped and don't wear glasses...

:D

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I think we need a picture of you... so we can straight up tell you whether she is using you for your computer skills, or actually might be interested.

Im being serious...

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: dxkj
I think we need a picture of you... so we can straight up tell you whether she is using you for your computer skills, or actually might be interested.

Im being serious...

Well heres (gotta drag and drop) about a 2 year old crappy picture of myself. If I had my sanyo 5300 working, I would try and snap a picture of her, but I think that its too risky at this point :p

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: Regs
You can ask any way you want if she has a boyfriend or not. I just would not start out the convo asking about it.

I would ask.. "I bet you have a boyfriend, huh!" or something like that.

Yeah I wasnt planing on just asking straight out... today we have lecture instead of the lab, so geting her to talk is going to be much harder, espically with the professor we have :( We pretty much exchanged schedules yesterday and besides, I have the whole semester to figure out if shes got one or not. My main goal today is to plan it cool, and to see if she is interested in me.

A really slick way u could play this one: Write notes to her on the sheet of paper you're taking notes on and pass it to her to write back (assuming you're sitting next to each other). Write something like, "By the way, are u busy tonight? :) " If she writes back NO, then write: "Want to get something to eat somewhere?"

Good lord!
Why not just pass her a note asking if she likes you and then having 2 check boxes, one for yes and one for no?

Just ask the chick out.

Hey, Mary(or whatever her name is) I was thinking about going out for some pizza after class, you hungry?

Don't ask her if she has a boyfriend, that is so elementary schoolish and so timid. Girls do not dig timid shy boys. They like confident and assertive men. You come across like Wally from Dilbert and she will use you like a tool to help her get an A. You might as well change your name to Dwayne Wayne from A Different World.

If she accepts she probably does not have a boyfriend. If she has one and only sees you as a source to leech off then she will say i have a bf. The longer you talk with her and she does not mention a bf, meaning she sees you as possible bf material. The best way to test this out is ask her out to grab something to eat or go check out a local club.

Good luck

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: psydancerqt
geez... all you computer boys are meeting girls and i havent met any boys!! what's a girl to do to get a boy's attention? lol... i can only imagine some of the responses!

Wear tight clothes.

Breathing is optional.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
In high school when I was in non-advanced classes, the cheerleaders and hot chicks would talk to me. They only wanted me for my brain :(

Oh well...I didn't mind at the time.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Today went pretty good... we talked a little after class, but I was running late and had to get to the next class... tomorrow we have lab, which means about 3 hours of one on one, which is always a plus. She looked really REALLY good today :p Tomorrow I will defintly ask her if she wants to do get together... Wednesday's are going to be my best shot I think.