Successful YAGT...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs
You can ask any way you want if she has a boyfriend or not. I just would not start out the convo asking about it.

I would ask.. "I bet you have a boyfriend, huh!" or something like that.

Yeah I wasnt planing on just asking straight out... today we have lecture instead of the lab, so geting her to talk is going to be much harder, espically with the professor we have :( We pretty much exchanged schedules yesterday and besides, I have the whole semester to figure out if shes got one or not. My main goal today is to plan it cool, and to see if she is interested in me.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
You can ask any way you want if she has a boyfriend or not. I just would not start out the convo asking about it.

No u wanna ask: "Can I ask u a question? Is someone currently doing your plumbing (or substitute laying pipe for even better effect).

Or you could say: "Can I ask u a question? Do you have a b/f?" If she says no, say: "Maybe we could get together sometime and study at the library if you want." or if you're really feeling bold: "Maybe we could go out for coffee sometime?"

Good luck man.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: bubbadu

Yeah I wasnt planing on just asking straight out... today we have lecture instead of the lab, so geting her to talk is going to be much harder, espically with the professor we have :( We pretty much exchanged schedules yesterday and besides, I have the whole semester to figure out if shes got one or not. My main goal today is to plan it cool, and to see if she is interested in me.

A really slick way u could play this one: Write notes to her on the sheet of paper you're taking notes on and pass it to her to write back (assuming you're sitting next to each other). Write something like, "By the way, are u busy tonight? :) " If she writes back NO, then write: "Want to get something to eat somewhere?"

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

No u wanna ask: "Can I ask u a question? Is someone currently doing your plumbing (or substitute laying pipe for even better effect).

Or you could say: "Can I ask u a question? Do you have a b/f?" If she says no, say: "Maybe we could get together sometime and study at the library if you want." or if you're really feeling bold: "Maybe we could go out for coffee sometime?"

Good luck man.

Thats funny :) I think I will pick the second one... what I think my stragedy is going to be is that shes really good in math, and she could help me there, while I could help her with programming. I think I will mention that today and she what she thinks about it.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: bubbadu

A really slick way u could play this one: Write notes to her on the sheet of paper you're taking notes on and pass it to her to write back (assuming you're sitting next to each other). Write something like, "By the way, are u busy tonight? :) " If she writes back NO, then write: "Want to get something to eat somewhere?"

Thats a good one... if things go really good today, I think I will try to get together with her outside of class, obviously if theres no boyfriend involed :p Stupid boyfriends get in the way.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
A good looking girl in a CS class? I call BS on this story.

Shes a MATH major though... all math majors are required to take a CS class... thats why its a good to go... I know the whole deal with CS girls, and this isnt one of them.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Don't think about it too much, and don't put all your eggs in one basket. That's awesome that you made a connection with her but don't be planning your every move. Take it day by day. If it works out, it works out. If not, then oh well.. plenty of fish in the sea.

It was the first day of class for you. Girls are a dime a dozen, and at this point in your pre-relationship this girl is no more valuable than any other girl prancing around campus.

The key is to diversify your investments.

JBond007

Sep 2, 2003
The fact that you are on THIS BBS asking for advice about dealing with women says volumes. Don't you dare ask if she has a boyfriend. If she does she'll bring it up very soon. If she has one and doesn't bring it up, then chances are he's on the way out anyways. Just make her laugh, don't act like a wuss, and DO NOT try to use your knowledge of programming as your way in. (just trust me on this one)

How old are you anyways? Don't run out looking for a girlfriend right away. Hang out (or date) a few girls. See what's out there. There are alot of hot chics in the world. Trust me, the hottest ones are NOT usually the best girlfriend material.

Good luck!

Not a pimp or a playa, but I could be though.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
She likes you.
rolleye.gif

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I took some of your advice, and got there seconds before she did..... I left the seat to the left of me open and of course she sat down :) :) :) ... the class went on like usual, and I often looked over her way just to check it out and she is indeed very good looking. :p After the class we talked breifly and I followed her out.. she was on the way back to the dorms, and I had another class. It ended with a "see ya on tuesday" and I went on to my next class. Oh well... now I have tuesday to look forward to. :)

Score one for Bubbadu

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Congrats, you've found a new life-long friend. Good looking girls never have any clue how to write software or do math. She's looking for someone to get her through the course.

Trust me. Go ahead and help her if you want. Peronally I love tutoring people, especially good looking girls. =p But don't lure yourself into thinking that she likes you as more than a friend.

There's a huge problem with the advice given on this forum, and only after I came around full circle did I understand that.

We geeks think we can use jock girl tactics to get jock girls. In fact, we should be using geek girl tactics to get geek girls.

FIND A GIRL YOU REALLY LIKE, NOT JUST BASED ON LOOKS. There exists smart, attractive girls who will REQUIRE that you become friends with them before you date them. You will not need to quiver in fear about asking these girls out after they are your friends, and they will be better girlfriends than any dumb hot chic.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Shes definitly different than everyone else.. she is NOT dumb at all.... shes most likely smarter than I am. I just happen to find her very attractive and I hope to develop some kind of a relationshiph with her. I don't have classes till Tuesday so that will be the next time I get a chance to talk, unless she calls me :p, which at this point, I wouldn't doubt.

-Bubbadu

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Hey....good luck man. If she sits next to you, and you two still seem to hit it off, then you should be safe asking for her number. Just stay relaxed and dont act all nervous and jittery like some do. You'll be fine...

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Still no update? or at least good news? Man, it's been a boring week for me, I was hoping for a little excitement from OT. Guess I'll leave it up to NFL football. :)

Good luck tho, your chances seem good...just be simple about it and tell her that you like her and would like to know if she has a b/f...she won't be offended unless you're really that bad at asking, and best case scenario, she doesn't have a SO and goes out with you.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Still no update? or at least good news? Man, it's been a boring week for me, I was hoping for a little excitement from OT. Guess I'll leave it up to NFL football. :)

Good luck tho, your chances seem good...just be simple about it and tell her that you like her and would like to know if she has a b/f...she won't be offended unless you're really that bad at asking, and best case scenario, she doesn't have a SO and goes out with you.

Did you read my post above... today was definlty a good day... of course I didn't get to talk to her as long as I wanted but... she definlty came right over to me and I felt another good connection. I still have no clue about the bf situation... so I will have to try again on tuesday.... sorry for the lack of excitement.. its just too early to have anything huge yet.

-Bubbadu

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
we have to wait for tuesday to get this update huh?

well..this is a different story but its along the similar lines. i met this cute girl in the laundry room of my building. i remember one awkward moment when i approached her and couldnt figure out what to say so i said..."oh neat laundry basket. it looks like it folds up! where did you get it?" Then i proceeded to fold it up and it sprung back into my face.

anyways...the most important thing is i DID get her info. We were going up in the elevator and when we were at her floor she got out and said goodbye, I felt this sudden urge and said..."Stay right there for 3 minutes. Im going to my room to grab a piece of paper and a pen." For some reason or other i decided that i wanted to see this girl again so i grew some balls and got her contact info.

I dont even know if i like her or not, or whether she thinks Im alrightt. But i do know that i want to meet her again.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
we have to wait for tuesday to get this update huh?

well..this is a different story but its along the similar lines. i met this cute girl in the laundry room of my building. i remember one awkward moment when i approached her and couldnt figure out what to say so i said..."oh neat laundry basket. it looks like it folds up! where did you get it?" Then i proceeded to fold it up and it sprung back into my face.

anyways...the most important thing is i DID get her info. We were going up in the elevator and when we were at her floor she got out and said goodbye, I felt this sudden urge and said..."Stay right there for 3 minutes. Im going to my room to grab a piece of paper and a pen." For some reason or other i decided that i wanted to see this girl again so i grew some balls and got her contact info.

I dont even know if i like her or not, or whether she thinks Im alrightt. But i do know that i want to meet her again.

Yeah sorry, there won't be any news till tuesday... we have labs on wednesday, and thats when we can get the most interaction :p ... hopefully from there I will have plenty of time to make some sort of out of class connection.. but things are looing good. I hate waiting though :p.. thankfully I have this class three times a week so I have several chances....