Subwoofer dampening..Auralex GRAMMA alternatives?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
How exactly do these work? are they for down firing only?

From my understanding is they really don't. That's what I get from reading AVSForum anyway.

But then again, I'd done something similar and I find it to work.

This is taken from a post on spiking your subwoofer which was taken from another location:
"Taken from the web...

http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm

Spiking a speaker does two things:

Holds the speaker stationary. This is done by the spike penetrating the carpet and then sticking into the sub floor… slightly. This holds the speaker rigidly in place. You can get a similar effect using rubber feet, but it's not as rigid and can flex. By holding a speaker stationary you stop the speaker from using its energy to move the enclosure. Sound ridiculous? If you place a micrometer against the side of an enclosure you can measure the back and forth movement. It is very slight and the largest swing I have measured is .0006" at the base. When you consider the amount of energy (HP) required to move this 45 lb speaker .0006" it is significant. This measurement was taken from a speaker without feet and on carpet. This is robbing the speaker of sound potential.

Reduces base to floor contact vibration. Spiking a speaker also reduces the contact surface of the speaker with the floor. Thus reducing the amount of vibration that can pass into the floor. Once the energy from a speaker is transferred into the floor it becomes non-directional. This means is will go wherever it wants, usually into another room or apartment where everyone can enjoy the little thumps thumps. These vibrations also have a negative impact on surrounding components.

There is a reason the high end speaker manufactures use speaker spikes; they add value to the speaker’s performance. The tones will be more focused and tighter and you will have more useable power."

I've definitely noticed a DIFFERENCE when I had a folded up towel under my subwoofer vs it being directly on the floor and another difference now that my subwoofer is on carpet floor.

I'd try using a folded up towel as well or osmething like that under your sub and see if it makes any change.

I've seen both schools of thought as to why it works and as to why it doesn't and I dunno, there are a lot of people out there who say it works for them, so you might as well try it I guess. I'm going with spiking my subwoofer just because I like the look.

I doubt it can hurt though so why not try it?

Last edited:

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
They aren't meant to improve the sound. They are meant so that if you have a neighbor below you they will not feel the sub pounding their ceiling as hard. I've had a neighbor complain about a teeny tiny sub in an apartment so anything to lower the vibrations helps.