Subaru Forester vs. Honda CR-V ?

anton

Banned
Sep 15, 2000
Hello ,

my parents are considering to purchase one of these ... the Honda I think it's SE and Subaru it's S ... well anywy , what are pros and cons of both of them ... and which one would you recommend ?

Thanks,
bye.

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
never figured out why jap companies make SUV's.. :confused: never knew offroading was popular in japan

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Subaru's aren't really offroad vehicles, they're just designed for rugged driving. My father has owned 2, dead solid cars/engines.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
None the above are built for off-roading, but who needs it? I would pick the Subaru, it has decent fuel economy and it is an excellent car in the winter.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Consumer Reports picked the Subaru over the Honda.

I also think they get decent resale value, at least from what I can tell for Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.

Michael

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Definitely the Subaru, everyone I know that owns a Forester loves it. The Honda CR-V seems pricey, not that sturdy and lots of pronounced road noise. Then again that was on it's first generation models like 1996-1997 hopefully the 2000-2001 models have made significant improvements since then.

jsm

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
I didn't know people were supposed to use SUVs for off roading. I thought they were for economical commuting in cities for one person? That's what they seemed to be used for, at least.

SUVs are the trendiest vehicles in the world. How do I love cutting them off every chance that I get. :)

pmark

Oct 11, 1999
I got a CR-V and think that it is great. Don't listen to the comments about it not being that sturdy and road noise because they aren't true. It has excellent fuel economy and when I got my (99 EX version) it was cheaper than the Forester.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I would say the Subaru too...

The CRV is basically a jacked-up civic, made into the look of a SUV... even the interior dashboards is almost identical to a civic... so IMHO it's not worth the price...

On the other hand, I have heard nothing but good things about the Subaru...

Just to clear something, I am not saying the CRV is a bad car... actually I think the CRV is a great car, and I looked into getting one before... but I just think it's not worth the price Honda is selling them for...

tkim

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2000
japanese are hardcore car enthusiasts. they love off roading. anyways. aren't they in a different price bracket??? regardless, i would go with subaru. that is an awesome car.

focusyn

Sep 3, 2000
i've driven both, and i'd have to say the subaru is my pick.. i'm japanese, believe me, i know wut i'm talking about.... hehe

Poontos

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2000
Honda will last forever. Are they going to lease or buy?

Get the CRV, they are rock solid.

anton

Banned
Sep 15, 2000
Well , we test drive Forester today , and most probably will get that, it's a rock stable on the road , have perfect handling (my dad knows what he's talking about ; ) ... I just didn't like two things: The sits are way too hard and very little space for the passangers on the back seats ; ( .... and we're getting SUV , b/c soon we will buy a dog ...

Poontos: we're buying it

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Subaru by all means, it will be far more capable in adverse weather conditions as well has having significantly more power than the CR-V.

Zenmervolt

EDIT: Subarus are just as dependable as Hondas, there is no reliability reason for choosing one over the other.