Sub $300 Gaming Rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
Save the $300 and get a nicer gaming rig in 6 months....

Seriously, if you have to save up money for a gaming rig, why are you throwing a good $300 away?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Tell that to my system when the Antec True Power 380 that come with the Sonta case decided to pop a cap and take everything with it. Only the case and the rear fan where the only survivors. System gone, took the Viewsonic LCD and Motorola Surfbaord with it also.

that one sounds more like you should have invested on a better surge protector.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
You make it sound like the thing will go up on a mushroom cloud the instant he pushes the power button :rolleyes:

They're power supplies, not grenades. They aren't going to explode unless they've been severely damaged.

See Video

They don't have to be damaged to explode, they just have to be a cheap POS.

bigriggg

Nov 7, 2009
thats decent, like buying a ps3 i guess, id do it if i only had 300, but id go ati because they are better right now

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009

See Video

They don't have to be damaged to explode, they just have to be a cheap POS.

I'm sure Corsair is a completely and totally unbiased source. They have absolutely no incentive to exaggerate their findings. None at all :D

Working with schools, non-profits, and other organizations that had a minimal IT budget, I've worked with my fair share of shitty power supplies. They had a minimal amount of connectors, the fans sucked (or sucked very little), and they were usually pretty noisy under load, but they only time I've ever seen a power supply fail like that was when it was severely overvolted.

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
Well the difference between a good budget PSU and a no name chinese one is what.. 15 bucks?

For all the hassle and possible damage to your more expensive parts, I think it's a good investment and it's one of the things you can reuse without a problem (my 500W PSU shouldn't have any problems when I upgrade my rig as long as I stay away from SLI or CF)

I agree that you won't have to worry about fires or explosions, but a cheap PSU can at least easily influence the stability of your build, especially if you want to OC (and fluctuating voltage isn't that great for electronic parts all in all)

Anyway I think spending the 300$ on a PS3 or XBOX is surely a better investment than spending them for a cheap PC that will be replaced in few months, I personally prefer PC gaming by far, but in this case a console seems to be the way to go.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
Don't get me wrong, a premium power supply definitely has a place, especially with enthusiasts that need every last bit of power and cooling that a high-end power supply can provide, but to say that a cheap power supply = BOOOOOOM! is unsubstantiated FUD.

Sadaiyappan

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2007
What should I get for $600 gaming PC? My tv is only 720p, and that is what I will be gaming on.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyway I think spending the 300$ on a PS3 or XBOX is surely a better investment than spending them for a cheap PC that will be replaced in few months, I personally prefer PC gaming by far, but in this case a console seems to be the way to go.

I'd tend to agree with this overall. Once you dip below ~$450 consoles start to make a lot more sense, on a realistic basis at $300 I don't think it's even close.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I don't think buying a $300 PC is such a bad idea provided the mainboard is decent and you can sell the initially purchased budget parts on ebay after you upgrade to more mainstream components.

Trouble with computer components (that I have found) is that the budget parts are just as poor in value as the ultra high end stuff. Buying always in the low end can actually be more expensive than buying mainstream if it means a person needs to constantly upgrade at shorter intervals.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
I'm sure Corsair is a completely and totally unbiased source. They have absolutely no incentive to exaggerate their findings. None at all :D

Working with schools, non-profits, and other organizations that had a minimal IT budget, I've worked with my fair share of shitty power supplies. They had a minimal amount of connectors, the fans sucked (or sucked very little), and they were usually pretty noisy under load, but they only time I've ever seen a power supply fail like that was when it was severely overvolted.

The PSU that was killed in that video was a Raidmax, which is a well-known company that is known for it's cheap PSU's and anyone with a little bit of google know how can prove that they tend to explode a lot like that video.

Don't get me wrong, a premium power supply definitely has a place, especially with enthusiasts that need every last bit of power and cooling that a high-end power supply can provide, but to say that a cheap power supply = BOOOOOOM! is unsubstantiated FUD.

Fine, I will admit that Cheap POS PSU's won't always explode but they can kill your other components with piss poor ripple. Just to get that point across here's a few more reviews showing bad PSU's that can explode from failure or just flat out suck.

Several Generic Units

Linkworld Made

Another Generic Unit

See the Rosewill and Cooler Master Units

Dynex and Rocketfish

few more bad apples

Ultra Products (although their products either hit the nail on the head or fail miserably.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Yep, waiting is a good idea. Don't forget you'll need to purchase a DVD drive (~$20) and a copy of Windows 7 (~$90) unless you already have an OS disc/key to use.

Really, $500 is the price point you should look at first, no less.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You could use Bill-Me-Later and have no payments for 6 months, build a nicer unit for $500 or so. Then send as much as you can, including the initial $300 and it won't be so bad...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I've decided to cancel the $300 PC. I'll wait 'til I have more money.

hahahahaha

you guys should be ashamed of yourself. you convinced the op that he needed to spend $400-$500 and talked him out of fun pc gaming for the next 6 mos.

@OP, go with your original idea and build a cheap system. the only thing to change is to get a 4670 or whatever instead of gt220. you'll still be under $300 and you'll have lots of fun while you're at it.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
hahahahaha

you guys should be ashamed of yourself. you convinced the op that he needed to spend $400-$500 and talked him out of fun pc gaming for the next 6 mos.

@OP, go with your original idea and build a cheap system. the only thing to change is to get a 4670 or whatever instead of gt220. you'll still be under $300 and you'll have lots of fun while you're at it.

Hey, I only wanted him to increase his budget to ~$350 :X so he could get a decent PSU that wouldn't be a POS.

He would also have to change a bit more than just the video card as his build still lacked an OS and optical drive...

It's possibly to build a $300 PC but I wouldn't call it a "gaming" machine by any means.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
hahahahaha

You could play games now with low settings and/or perhaps choppy framerates now, or wait until later and have more fun with high settings and silky smooth gameplay later.

I played some games on my old X1950XT which were kinda choppy, like Assassin's Creed. It was fun, but it was also annoying since framerates occasionally dropped under 30fps.

And if you're in college, think of it this way. Use the next 6 months to study and get the A, then reward yourself with the gaming rig afterwards.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Maybe he can have his cake and eat it to?

Buy a base PC now with a quality motherboard with integrated graphics along with a good power supply, but cheap CPU and a single 2Gb RAM module. This is now your base system. In a month or when ever you can afford it, start buying the rest. Get a Good video card, then replace the low end CPU with a high end, add more RAM, and so on and so forth. You don't have to buy everything at once. Incremental upgrades also allow you to watch for really good deals as they appear. You can eBay your low end CPU or save it to build a MPC.

In the end you get the PC you want, but you start getting it now.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Antec NSK 4480 II ATX Mid Tower Computer Case EarthWatts 380W Power Supply = $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129059

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371005

Sounds like this 80 plus PSU (that comes with the case) has good reviews.

OP, the combo deal Blade Venom mentioned here sounds like a good idea. I think this PSU (included with that Antec case) will handle either GTS 250 or HD5770 pretty easily (both of which are good gaming cards.)

WraithAkaMrak

Apr 23, 2003
$395.93 + $10 shipping = $405.93 - $60 in rebates = $345.93.

Not quite sub-$300, but looks like a reasonable budget gaming system that could be upgraded, rather than tossed aside in six months. Unless anyone sees any components that raise a red flag. Haven't used any of these specific parts. I'd thrown together a sub-$500 wishlist earlier this week and modified it a bit (removing parts not specified in this thread, going up to AM3/DDR3). *Edit* Looking at reviews, that Gigabyte board has been getting a lot of DOAs recently. Maybe swap that with an ASUS or MSI for $5-$10 more.

Though waiting isn't a terrible idea either, if you can look at a better system within six months and can make do with what you have in the meantime.

Last edited: