Question Stuttering issue

Einholt

Feb 7, 2021
Hi, I have been having this issue for over three months now and tried all the fixes I can find for stuttering, turning off a lot of unnecessary windows 10 features etc but nothing seems to fix it, I had an issue with 100% D drive usage that I tracked down to the PCI driver bug and changed the setting in bios from 1 to 0 which fixed it for a few weeks, when it came back I tracked the issue down to D drive being my page file and when swapping it to my SSD it stopped the 100% drive usage, I am unsure if this a connected or separate issue and if that drive is dying, crystal disk info shows it as good as does seagates seatools and it passes all the tests and CHKDSK says all fine, a week ago it started double clicking after inactivity but that stopped after doing that for about 30 minutes.

Using Latency Mon yesterday I had very high ISR from DirectX graphics Kernel and very high DPC routine execution time from Nvidia graphics driver when loading and playing the newer CoD modern warfare game, stuttering is most pronounced in this game so have been using it to test changes but stuttering is present in all games whether installed on my NVME or my HDD, I did a Windows 10 repair install a few weeks ago to no success, today I cannot get my system to repeat the very high ISR and DPC counts in latency mon and did not save my results yesterdays but I will paste todays results if that helps at all.

Yesterday I swapped my 970 gtx out for my older MSI 660 GTX, no difference in Modern warfare but Escape from Tarkov seemed a lot smoother despite having half the amount of VRAM as my newer card on the same settings.

I have also disabled AMD SMT hyperthreading in bios as know this can be a cause of stutters which has not helped, I have also swapped put SATA cables for new ones, tried different SATA ports and unplugged and reconnected all cables giving connectors a blow, used different power connectors for HDD and dusted the case thoroughly, I have ran my memory at 2993, 3000 and 3200MHZ with XMP on and off and all seem to give the same performance to me.

I am at the absolute end of patience with this stuttering, I have spent a good 100 plus hours googling and trying fixed myself to no success.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion or help!

Edit: The Stutters are every 1-5 seconds and last for a fraction of a second multiple times or are sometimes larger lasting 1-2 seconds where the picture completely freezes.

System Specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 51 °C
Pinnacle Ridge 12nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 @ 1596MHz (16-20-20-38) ( Ihave ran this at 2993, 3000 and currently 3200 at 3.5v both with and without xmp and see no noticeable differences in performance)
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 (AM4) 36 °C Bios Version P 3.20 (I have not upgraded as on the download page of my motherboard it says Pinnacle Ridge users should not upgrade past this version)
Graphics
VEL50FO01UK (1920x1080@60Hz)
24G2W1G4 (1920x1080@144Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (MSI) 55 °C (this is for Troubleshooting purposes, my actual GPU is a Gigabyte g1 gaming Edition GTX 970, both have had clean installs of the latest drivers)
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD)) 27 °C
Corsair 223GB Force MP510
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
PSU
BitFenix Formula 550W 80+ Gold PSU

while not reproducing the latencymon report from yesterday I have just got one where some problems seem to be happening:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:04:05 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-F9NO0LJ
OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware: To Be Filled By O.E.M., To Be Filled By O.E.M.
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
Logical processors: 6
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16315 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3593 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 466.50
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4.106991

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 462.80
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.849327

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 98.301141
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.369442
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.389935

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 386094
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1002.218759
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: CLASSPNP.SYS - SCSI Class System Dll, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.220564
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.457480

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 923466
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 4
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 1
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: modernwarfare.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 11042
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 7711
Number of processes hit: 52

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 14.670143
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 98.301141
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 5.580826
CPU 0 ISR count: 337773
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1002.218759
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 6.015276
CPU 0 DPC count: 823165
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.360532
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 13.856944
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.143589
CPU 1 ISR count: 38333
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 96.086836
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.335334
CPU 1 DPC count: 36610
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.688993
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 10.710827
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.016101
CPU 2 ISR count: 4268
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 119.612580
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.092327
CPU 2 DPC count: 21728
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.002757
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 9.628723
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.001833
CPU 3 ISR count: 843
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 144.861675
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.103065
CPU 3 DPC count: 14805
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.930662
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 8.927359
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000760
CPU 4 ISR count: 897
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 55.868633
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.087944
CPU 4 DPC count: 13774
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.011029
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3.206234
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002807
CPU 5 ISR count: 3980
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 46.300028
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.107293
CPU 5 DPC count: 13389

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you overclocking at all? If so, reset UEFI to defaults. I had issues like that pop up occasionally, when overclocking my Ryzen R5 1600 CPU. It benchmarked faster when overclocked, but honestly, it seemed "smoother" at stock, everything just seemed to run better.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I have solved that problem in computer gaming several times over the years but who knows if the solution will apply here. Each stuttering problem appears as a unique one, and while it gets gets addressed on tech forums , there is seldom a return post to advise when/if the problem was solved.
My solution was to buy a better GPU/CPU. The stuttering arises in my experience from under powered 3D capacity. I tried solving it by using a more powerful GPU but in the end the only solution was a better CPU.
I notice that your system appears to comply with the recommended system requirements for CoD so go figure--I still advise a better CPU.

Einholt

Feb 7, 2021
I do not think my CPU is in need of an upgrade at all in my opinion, I was absolutely fine until a few months, on most games my cpu sits at 60-90% usage depending how cpu intensive the game is, also the GPU is fine, I have tried running all games on lowest possible settings and even games ten years old that the GPU is overkill for suffer from the same stuttering, I suspect it may be a driver issue rather than hardware, possibly the Nvidia or DirectX driver/s but cannot nail it down.