Stuttering and Buffering on my WD Passport

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I've been getting stuttering when playing my MKV files in Kodi and MPC-HC. Also today I've been getting slow motion/no audio and then buffering messages while playing a movie in Kodi at around the 45-minute mark and when I replay the same part the buffering is gone but about 10 seconds after that part the slow motion/no audio then buffering message problem happens again. I tested out my blu-ray disc I ripped from and that part of the movie plays fine on the disc. I also checked the fragmentation of my WD Passport and it's 66% fragmented. I also have my Steam\Origin game backups on it. I tried Openelec from a USB flash drive and still I get the occasional stutter when playing an MKV file off my WD Passport. So I ruled out an OS issue. Can the cause of that my hard drive is too fragmented? Or something wrong with my WD Passport?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
How do you have it connected? Are you using a "Y" connector for added USB power?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I had it connected with the USB cable that came with it through one of the top USB 2.0 ports on my case. I'm not using a Y-cable. I'm running the WD Diagnostics Extended Test to check for bad sectors right now.

I did copy the MKV file to my SSD from my WD Passport and tested it from there and it did not have buffering issues on my SSD. While I copied it to my SSD, at about the 30% mark, the transfer rate dropped from 40 MB/s to 0.71-2.1 MB/s for a few minutes and then went back up to 40 MB/s for the rest of the transfer process.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
OK - I asked because my Passport has a "Y" cable that allows it to connect to 2 USB ports in order to guarantee a good, steady supply of power. The problem definitely can be the Passport drive, but it could also be power fluctuation. Can you try it in a powered hub or different USB port?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
While I copied it to my SSD, at about the 30% mark, the transfer rate dropped from 40 MB/s to 0.71-2.1 MB/s for a few minutes and then went back up to 40 MB/s for the rest of the transfer process.

1. Check disk for errors. (skip this if you have a backup or data is not that important)
2. Make sure you have at least 20% free space on your drive, make room if necessary, then run defrag on it. (Windows one should be fine, and the more free space you have, the better)

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I tried a USB Y-cable and on a different USB port and still buffering problems in the same spots in the movie. I also check for bad sectors using a utility from the manufacturer and it passed the test. I'm right now freeing up disk space by transferring everything except the movies from this hard drive to a spare USB hard drive that I had lying around.