Stupid to Buy Extended Warranty on a digital camera?

venk

Banned
Dec 10, 2000
first of all 4 years for $43 means the warrenty is garbage, (Doesnt cover anything but equipment faliure which willhappen in the first year if ever) don't bother.

shoRunner

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2004
the warranty does not cover damage from falls, submersion, or cracks in the lcd. it does give you a free battery and covers heat, dust, and humidity along with what a standard man. warranty would cover.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm sure you can find something better for that price. check out canon's sd line
my biggest wanted attribute is size. from what i've researched, there are no better

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: venk
first of all 4 years for $43 means the warrenty is garbage, (Doesnt cover anything but equipment faliure which willhappen in the first year if ever) don't bother.

you've never had an electronic /mechanical product break after a year? you're very lucky I'd say.

4 years for $43 sounds like good insurance...mack is ok....kind of slow in fulfillment (think like two months :-(, but they try to fix it, and you couldn't get anything on digital camera fixed for $43 yourself. They might even have to replace it with a newer model.

If anything it would help with the resell value.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I paid $60 (Best Buy) for a $600 Canon G2 when it first came out. After a year the camera just stopped working after going through the security screening at a whole in the wall airport in the British Virgin Islands. Brought it back in and they just swapped the camera out for a Canon G3 for free.

Needless to say, I spent the $70 for a 4 year warranty on my Digital Rebel this time around as well.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
My sister-in-law just got her Fuji Finepix repaired because it was outside of warranty. It was about 3 years old and it decided not to turn on. It cost her $118 to get it repaired. I'd say $43 is cheap insurance.