Stupid question about recent MSI gaming laptops with AMD CPUs

DaZeeMan

Jan 2, 2014
My current Toshiba laptop is getting rather long in the tooth, but I've decided to 'tough it out' until Kaveri finally hits the laptop (summer maybe?).

Anyways, my Toshiba laptop has dedicated/Toshiba graphics drivers, and Toshiba sucks at updating their drivers (essentially maybe one or two when the laptop is released, then they stop providing updates). The Catalyst installer will NOT allow me to update my drivers, as I have Toshiba drivers (tells me I'm supposed to contact Toshiba for my drivers).

I ALMOST bought an MSI/MSI clone with the Richland APU over the summer, but held off for Kaveri. For 'supporting the underdog' reasons, I will be staying with AMD in my next laptop, and the MSI GX series appeals to me with the discrete GPU alongside the APU, and for other reasons (multiple HDDs, etc.).

My QUESTION, for those of you that have owned a MSI/AMD powered laptop recently, is are you able to regularly update to the latest 'generic' Catalyst drivers, or does MSI have 'specific video drivers' that prevent Catalyst from updating?

I plan to use my next laptop for quite a few years, the one I am typing on now is about 6 years old! Hence the question...

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I assume you are looking at the a10-5750m series with the 8970m? I strongly recommend that you stay away from that notebook. It is too CPU bound to really do anything. Look elsewhere and get an i7 + 765m/770m notebook for a similar price which will on average perform as well or better.

The a10-5750m is decent but generally around an i5 ULV haswell in terms of performance. Some games will be playable but 60 fps will be hard to get in many games. It will play some games well, some okay, and some not at all, as opposed to an i7 + 765m combo which will play all games good/okay.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7111/amds-a105750m-review-part-2-the-msi-gx60-gaming-notebook/4

Even on low settings, can only get 60+ avg fps on bioshock and tomb raider.

Games such as BF3/4, crysis 3, hitman absolution, Gw2, Coh2, etc will be borderline playable.

DaZeeMan

Jan 2, 2014
I'm holding out for Kaveri. The GX60/70 isn't on my shopping list right now. However, other MSI GX60/70 owners should be able to answer my question, as well as those with older MSI AMD models.

And again, not interested in an Intel laptop. Still supporting the underdog and all that.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has had a recent MSI/AMD laptop r.e. whether MSI has dedicated video drivers, or if the 'generic' catalyst drivers are/may be used.

Aug 11, 2008
I assume you are looking at the a10-5750m series with the 8970m? I strongly recommend that you stay away from that notebook. It is too CPU bound to really do anything. Look elsewhere and get an i7 + 765m/770m notebook for a similar price which will on average perform as well or better.

The a10-5750m is decent but generally around an i5 ULV haswell in terms of performance. Some games will be playable but 60 fps will be hard to get in many games. It will play some games well, some okay, and some not at all, as opposed to an i7 + 765m combo which will play all games good/okay.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7111/amds-a105750m-review-part-2-the-msi-gx60-gaming-notebook/4

Even on low settings, can only get 60+ avg fps on bioshock and tomb raider.

Games such as BF3/4, crysis 3, hitman absolution, Gw2, Coh2, etc will be borderline playable.

I agree, I wouldnt even consider a laptop with an AMD cpu unless I were going to try gaming on the igp. In fact, I am hoping Kaveri or Broadwell might actually make light/moderate more viable without a discrete card, maybe something like iris Pro performance at a mainstream price and availability.

However, seems like the OP has already make up his mind, and Kaveri will have new drivers anyway, so I am not sure what the point of the post is except that he will "support the underdog".

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I don't think the underdog will appreciate your support. You will just have to endure few more years of inferior experience.