$23 K for 8 foot? I'll take two !!

Biggest
rolleye.gif

Links stole from ars

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I've got one of those on my sub, but I didn't buy it. :eek:

The guy I bought my sub from had purchased it and he threw it in for free. :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MingChia
Originally posted by: ElFenix
car... or cable... car... or cable...

cable, definitely cable

well for the pair we're not just talking any car... we're talking GS430 or 5 series...

i should flip a coin

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It's so irritating having to explain to my friends why you don't want to buy monster cable. For most of them a set of cables costs about half as much as their entire system.
rolleye.gif

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Monster Cable isn't stupid!!! The people who actually believe that they'll be able to tell a difference between it and something of the same guage in another brand are.

I still laugh at the Circuit City guy who tried to sell me Monster rechargable batteries. I threw every sales word he spoke back in his face and told him why he was stupid....and his manager heard me. :p

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Their composite video cables really did make a huge difference for my playstayion 2

=\

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ed21x
Their composite video cables really did make a huge difference for my playstayion 2

=\

ANY composite cable would make a different on the ps2. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from one half decent brand on a ps2 to a monster cable brand. The ps2 isn't such a high end source that warrents such a pricey cable.

But if you do have a top spec high end sound/visual setup then I can see spending money on it.

Your suppose to spend about 10% of your system setup on cables. Which I think is a good price guide.

System = £500 cables = £50.
System £10'000 cables = £1'000.

I'm sure most people can afford to spend 10% of their system setup on cables.

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Ahah.. RCA interconnects sure do make a difference.. go look up kimber kable and see how much they cost.. you can get some sets of RCA's that cost $10,000-$20,000

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
who needs a 12Ft cable to their sub? are they gonna put in a different room? i need about 4 feet at most. 12 is overkill and 20 is just plain crazy

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
I accidentally bought a 1ft monster cable for my guitar when i was a complete n00b. Worst $20 i ever accidentally spent.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Monster Cable isn't stupid!!! The people who actually believe that they'll be able to tell a difference between it and something of the same guage in another brand are.

I still laugh at the Circuit City guy who tried to sell me Monster rechargable batteries. I threw every sales word he spoke back in his face and told him why he was stupid....and his manager heard me. :p

Why? Maybe he wasn't educated about the cables and thought they were the best? Maybe you should just politely tell him that you don't want the cables instead of being an ass?

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
$23K / individually shielded strands of cable...

Of course, If I spent that much on speaker wire you can sure as hell bet I'd say it sounds better.

I'd just love to have them do a double blind test on it. That'd be fun.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I have a monster phone cable actually. It came free w/ a surge protector I bought. (Don't worry, etronics, not even close to retail). I use that between the wall jack and my DSL modem. Course, I wired the wall jack myself as well:p

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: TheEvil1
who needs a 12Ft cable to their sub? are they gonna put in a different room? i need about 4 feet at most. 12 is overkill and 20 is just plain crazy

Actually mine is kinda long.My tv is on one side of the room and the sub is on the other underneath a table. My cable to the sub is just a shorter rca pair that a seperated down the middle and spliced in the middle. ;)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
Most speakers are design to take 25, 70, or 100 volts at 1-8 ohm, and wire at 6 gauge can handle 3993 watts at 30 feet for 70 volts system, that is more than an over kill for any amplifier/speakers that are in existent.

18-gauge wire can handle max of 487watts at 30 feet for common 70 volts system (or 347watts at 100 feet) that will accommodate most if not all of the high power system that are available.

18 gauge at 30/100 feet:
696/497 W at 100 V
487/355 W at 70 V
174/124 W 25 V

Heavily shielded cable that shouldn't cost much more than $1.00 per foot at your local electrical/electronic store, which is very likely just as good or better than those over price monster cables.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Re: the phone cable

A higher quality phone cable can make a difference if you are using high speed DSL. If you buy some $2 cable you'll notice the different...at least I did. No I didn't buy monster cable but I opted for he $5 phone cable over the $2 one ;)

As for the sub cable, I agree...rip off. Any well shielded cable will be fine...and if it doesn't say Monster on it it will be a fraction of the price.

I have one monster cable i my system (the toslink optical from DVD to receiver) but I didn't have to pay for it :D It's a $70 cable!

As for the $23k speaker cables, I can only hope one day I am rich enough to spend $75-$100k wiring up my system!

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
A higher quality phone cable can make a difference if you are using high speed DSL. If you buy some $2 cable you'll notice the different...at least I did. No I didn't buy

What about the 1000's of feet of copper on the way to the CO? The quality of the signal is only as good as the weakest point.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge
A higher quality phone cable can make a difference if you are using high speed DSL. If you buy some $2 cable you'll notice the different...at least I did. No I didn't buy

What about the 1000's of feet of copper on the way to the CO? The quality of the signal is only as good as the weakest point.

All I am saying is I noticed a difference between the bargain store variety and a half decent one. My speed tests increased quite dramatically. I'm on cable now though...that was a long time ago

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

Big man, woo, you showed that guy whos trying to make a living by selling stuff he HAS TO SELL.
Good job!

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Monster cable is the equivalent of belief and religion--it's all on about faith and trust.
"Sigh....I guess I'll just have to find someone else to help me make that easy million dollars...."

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: kami
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge

All I am saying is I noticed a difference between the bargain store variety and a half decent one. My speed tests increased quite dramatically. I'm on cable now though...that was a long time ago

Yes, thats true, but if you have 50 weak point in a line it's going to be a worse signal than if you have 49 weak points in the line now isn't it....

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Solid core cable is solid core cable. Unless there is a break or bad connection not sure how "high Speed phoneline" is gonna help