Stupid Dell. Workstations are too expensive

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Thinkin about getting a Dell workstation for my small business. I priced out one compared to the new Apple Mac Pro.

Dual procs in both @ 2.66GHz, and the Dell comes in $450 higher than the Mac even with the same specs. Would not have thought I'd see that.

Anyone recommend a place where I can get a dual processor dual core workstation for a decent price?

Chiller2

Aug 19, 2005
Links please
You can get a computer from dell for $450.00 So I gotta see how it is $450.00 more than a Mac especially when Macs are generally more than PC's

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Why do you need dual processors? Are you sure that dual-core isn't a valid substitute?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Thinkin about getting a Dell workstation for my small business. I priced out one compared to the new Apple Mac Pro.

Dual procs in both @ 2.66GHz, and the Dell comes in $450 higher than the Mac even with the same specs. Would not have thought I'd see that.

Anyone recommend a place where I can get a dual processor dual core workstation for a decent price?

Why not buy a Mac and run Boot Camp?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Chiller2
Links please
You can get a computer from dell for $450.00 So I gotta see how it is $450.00 more than a Mac especially when Macs are generally more than PC's

You can't get a dual core dual proc Woodcrest Xeon system for $450.
Hell, I'm not sure you can even get a single Dual core Woodcrest for that!

You might be able to custom build for a similar price, $729 from Newegg for a 5150, plus you'll need to piece out the rest of the system.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816
^^ Prices for custom build are no longer accurate, since the components have gone down, so you might be able to push a custom price to equal or below Apple.
Or you could buy a Mac Pro and dual boot, but remember you have to add in extra cost to buy Windows if you plan on doing that (if you want Windows).

Custom build might be the best option.

Chiller2

Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Chiller2
Links please

You can't get a dual core dual proc Woodcrest Xeon system for $450.
Hell, I'm not sure you can even get a single Dual core Woodcrest for that!

You might be able to custom build for a similar price, $729 from Newegg for a 5150, plus you'll need to piece out the rest of the system.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2816
^^ Prices for custom build are no longer accurate, since the components have gone down, so you might be able to push a custom price to equal or below Apple.
Or you could buy a Mac Pro and dual boot, but remember you have to add in extra cost to buy Windows if you plan on doing that (if you want Windows).

Custom build might be the best option.[/]
That is true, but while I have not researched this paticular spec Macs are usally more expensive than PC's and I was interested to see how it was not only less expensive but substanially so.