Stupid Computer Classes

jpucci1

Jan 15, 2001
anyone taking a totally stupid computer class where you know more than the teacher?

AmazonRasta

Banned
Dec 2, 2000
Unfortunetaly yes. For me, it's called Computer Applications. For the next four months that class is going to be focusing on Microsoft Office 2000. Out of the 65 people in my class though, there are zero girls. The teacher is a woman though, so that's one of the reasons I decided to stay in that class :D. It's probably why I know more about Office 2000 than the teacher does, too :D.

jackolantern74

Sep 12, 2002
yes sir, i love it, yet somehow the smart ones in the class get the bad grades. go figure
Anyone else got a good teacher?

---remember, a IP addy has 13 #'s not 12---

jpucci1

Jan 15, 2001
mine is called Web Design, junior level college corse and we just learned what photoshop is and what a hyperlink is......i give up on answering, he thinks my answers are wrong so i just leave it alone

Oscar1613

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
yes... i'm taking computer science 1100, which doesnt even count for my major(EEC) and does not count as general education elective... but i have to take it as part of my residential college program... we have to use this software called SAM/TOM. if you ever hear you gotta use this, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! its training software for MS Office, that shows you what to do, and then you have to mimic what it tells you to do.... if you do one thing differently (ex. use a keyboard shortcut instead of the menus) it b!tches at you until you do it their way
rolleye.gif
it is EXTREMELY frustrating and boring. of course... half the people in the class are morons, so it fits them perfectly... (one guy didnt know how to italicize text in word for one of the "tests" that it doesnt show you what to do :confused: ) oh... and the tests... 45 mins for a whopping 15 questions:confused: i finished it in under 10... this damn class is a waste of time and only increases the stress in my life...

ok... all better.. thats my SAM/TOM rant for the day:)

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: jpucci1
anyone taking a totally stupid computer class where you know more than the teacher?

Yes. Two pieces of advice:

1) Ace the class. Take advantage of the easy class to bump your average up.
2) You don't get too many easy classes in University. Enjoy this one. It will change all too suddenly :)

jackolantern74

Sep 12, 2002
i have a bunch of morons in my begining comp. sci class...2301. supposed to be easy, but they "drop you in on the deep end and let you drown". I am lucky that i saw the crap before, otherwise i would be dead....morons, they are all morons. One guy asks everything, is this going to be on the test? is that? are you going to help us on the test. The bastard doesnt shut the hell up. 2 girls in that one, both uglllllyyyy.

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
I'm majoring in business management and am taking a class which deals with computer hardware/software/etc. Also alot of Frontpage stuff. The thing that sucks about this class is the professor is an idiot and actually gives wrong info. I don't know what to put down on tests, what he told us or the correct answer.

Just yesterday he was showing us some "Highly advanced" hardware which was a socket 7 MB :eek: He then passed around the "Brains" of the the computer the CPU. However it was just the heatsink no CPU. Why in god's name did I take this class?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: jackolantern74
i have a bunch of morons in my begining comp. sci class...2301. supposed to be easy, but they "drop you in on the deep end and let you drown". I am lucky that i saw the crap before, otherwise i would be dead....morons, they are all morons. One guy asks everything, is this going to be on the test? is that? are you going to help us on the test. The bastard doesnt shut the hell up. 2 girls in that one, both uglllllyyyy.
So they are morons because they may have never seen this stuff before?
rolleye.gif

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Yep. Those are the hardest classes to sit through because you don't learn anything, and you constantly want to punch the professor in the face. But its nice to have an easy A once in a while.

LostHiWay

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: jackolantern74
So they are morons because they may have never seen this stuff before?
rolleye.gif

I guess I'm one of those morons. I once had a C++ class and I had never seen the stuff before. The second day of class the professor tells he'll be out of town for the next 5 days and to read the next 3 chapters and gives us a pretty big programming project due the next class. I tried and tried and couldn't get it. Finally I ended up PayPal'ing someone I know online $25 bucks to do it for me since it counted for just about 20% of our grade.

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
yup, I've had a couple....

First was Beginning Photoshop, I took it as a 7th grader (at my City College btw..) and the teacher would always have problems, and I would end up fixing them for her.
Lately, I just ended Graphics class at my school, and I went in knowing more than the teacher..It ended up being me helping everyone in the class...

No more Computer classes for me till I get to real college!

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Basic HTML/DHTML/XML, come to find out the teacher doesn't know XML so it isn't cover this class. I complained enough that I get to teach the last two days on XML to the students.

The only reason I show up, is so she doesn't throw a trick question in on the test.

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
Two pieces of advice:
2) You don't get too many easy classes in University. Enjoy this one. It will change all too suddenly :)

Totally agree. Also you can use your time for other tough classes.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I was taking "Computer Information Systems" but I cancelled it, it was so lame.

jackolantern74

Sep 12, 2002
not that they are morons for not knowing the stuff, they are morons because of the constant questions...not even really about the programs, "is this going to be on the test, is that, are you going to help us on the test." common, what is a test for if you are going to get help?

LaBang

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2001
TRUE STORY:
I took CS for 11th and 12th grades under the IB program. The first year we had a great teacher. For the second year we had a dude that did computers for the military 15 years ago and now didn't know how to do squat! He was there to teach C and Java to second year students but he lied on his resume! We ended up firing his ass and then mostly failing.

JonathanM

Mar 4, 2002
I had four classes like that in two seperate semesters.

One was a general hardware class, finished every test in 10 min.
One was an intro to programming class, got a perfect 100.

One was a Intro to networking class.
Fourth one was a C++ class.

Of course during the second week of the last two weeks i was given a forced vacation.

So for anyone who can learn for me. Never throw a 17" monitor in front of a class full of people. :eek:

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: QTPie
Two pieces of advice:
Yep, totally agree.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
Yup! Taking Computer System Maintenance, another words, building a computer :) Most of the class is having problems with their computers and I've been helping trouble shooting the computers, which is a bonus for people who do that, per instructor. It's going to be a long 13 weeks, since it coves Win95/85/2000.

Best thing about it..... it'll bump my GPA up easily.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JonathanM
I had four classes like that in two seperate semesters.

One was a general hardware class, finished every test in 10 min.
One was an intro to programming class, got a perfect 100.

One was a Intro to networking class.
Fourth one was a C++ class.

Of course during the second week of the last two weeks i was given a forced vacation.

So for anyone who can learn for me. Never throw a 17" monitor in front of a class full of people. :eek:

Can you expand on the throwing the monitor part?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LostHiWay
I'm majoring in business management and am taking a class which deals with computer hardware/software/etc. Also alot of Frontpage stuff. The thing that sucks about this class is the professor is an idiot and actually gives wrong info. I don't know what to put down on tests, what he told us or the correct answer.

Just yesterday he was showing us some "Highly advanced" hardware which was a socket 7 MB :eek: He then passed around the "Brains" of the the computer the CPU. However it was just the heatsink no CPU. Why in god's name did I take this class?

did you call him on the CPU, err, I mean heatsink?