Stupid apartment management....

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Okay, here's the situation.

I am finding someone to take over my lease next month. My lease ends July 31st, 2005. I need someone to take it over for 3 months.

I've been here for about 2 years now, and I renewed just like everyone else does last year. About 4 months ago, the management company was bought out by some other company.

Last year when two of my roomates left last year and found someone to take over their lease, here is what the procedure was. It was a 60 dollar application fee, and then you forfeited your deposit (200 dollars) to the new person taking over your lease. No big deal, that's how it works.

Well, my friend and I just got the new sublease form from this new management company. The new person coming in has to pay the standard 330 dollars (130 dollars for their application fee and 200 dollars for the security deposit) PLUS I have to pay an 150 dollar processing fee. :disgust: WTF. I do get my deposit back, big fvcking deal.

Now here's the thing. This is utter BS. I never signed anything new saying this was the procedure with this management company; I am still on the old contract from the previous company. What can I do? Is this breach of contract? I am so pissed off about this...I will be meeting with the apartment manager in 30 minutes. BTW, I'm in Florida if that helps.

Cliffs:
1)New management company
2)Change procedures without notifying tennants
3)...
4)Definitely no profit.

EDIT: For the people coming, I got a new townhouse starting May 1st. I will not pay for two places and only live at one...that's ridiculous.

sic wil

Dec 7, 2004
Keep the lease for three months, make the new guy pay you, then let him renew when lease is up.

Or is it more complicated?

jst0ney

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by: sic wil
Keep the lease for three months, make the new guy pay you, then let him renew when lease is up.

sounds good to me

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999

No can do.

I got a new townhouse starting May 1st. I'm not paying for two places.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Danman

No can do.

I think he means sublet it for three months.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

No can do.

He's saying keep your name on the current lease, you pay the rent and let the new guy pay you back...

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MrChad

No can do.

I think he means sublet it for three months.

I really didn't want to have any responsibility of this place after I move out. Plus, it says in our contract we cannot do that....hah, but why should I listen. :p