Study: Whites favor meritocracy (unless it doesn't benefit them, aka Asians).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Your imagination doesn't mean much. I could just as easily imagine asking one group of Hispanics how they felt about affirmative action vs another after telling them that blacks make up twice as many people in the UC system due to affirmative action.

Quickly perusing the study, it appears it focused only on whites and Asians, but there might be similar studies referenced on other ethnic groups elsewhere. Anyone that's curious...

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/670664

How can you quickly peruse?

"perusing present participle of pe·ruse (Verb)
Verb
Read thoroughly or carefully.
Examine carefully or at length."

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/SCOTUS/story?id=7393908&page=1

The real least shocking thing ever, whites denied the recognition they deserve, because they were white.

It seems like news websites consistently get worse every year. I'm using Opera and the article seems to start in the middle or something:

a result, the city threw out the test results.

"Every day I go to work I've got to pin this lieutenant's badge on me, it reminds me I got screwed out of a captain's badge because of the color of my skin," Marcarelli, 38, said. "That gets to you."

In New Haven, city officials knew they were headed for a catch 22 when the test results came back. If the city certified the test results, it was confident it could expect a lawsuit from the black firefighters. But when it threw out the test results, it instead got a lawsuit from mostly white firefighters.
A result of what? wtf is this article talking about? ABC News sucks.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Interesting, I've never heard of the "bamboo ceiling" before.

Where I'm at now, the department mix is probably 50% asian 50% other. The management mix is probably 80% other 20% asian.

The group I'm in now? 11 asians, 3 non asians.

This is accounting/finance, in LA no less.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
hahaha, I love the faux rage by the OP about drivel articles full of pseudo science and assumptions. All written by left wing idiots of course.

Good stuff :)
You really have no idea what you are talking about.
This is what passes as conservative arguments? Really? "These arguments are dumb/the source is dumb/i'm not going to point out flaws or any sort of counterarguments, so i'm taking my ball and going home
You are clueless, these schools are doing this because of Affirmative Action, this is what Affirmative Action results in, since Asians are so grossly over represented. People like you are the ones who pushed for this. This has absolutely nothing to do with the white elite. You would know this if you actually read the sh*t you post.
You're the clueless one, the article is about whites who SUPPOSEDLY support meritocracy based on princple, but it turns out they don't.
Hi.
I'm white and I don't care.
Thank you for your time.
A white conservative not caring about racism? How shocking

How DARE white people feel any sense of discomfort or trepidation about not one, but ALL nations and regions they have traditionally held (some for upwards of 50,000 years and it could be argued more like nearly 1 million years) getting more and more "diverse" all the time? (And "diverse" really just means fewer whites, and more people with higher birth rates from other parts of the globe.)

Meanwhile, in Africa, South America, India, Asia, and Arabia you won't go there and find a whole lot of white enclaves or affirmative action for whites, or whites with double, triple, or quadruple the birth rates of the natives - nor will you find tumbleweeds and empty streets. Japan's birth rate is in the tank, and they really need to address that... but other than them? China, India, Africa is positively booming in birth rates, and ironically whites are bending over backwards to send water purifiers, Plumpy'nut, Golden Rice, and Malaria vaccine to Africa and elsewhere to help the already crazy birth rates observed there become even crazier, while the death rate drops.

Where will the resulting extra human beings be looking to for jobs and living space? Well, let's just say that not all of them will be content to stay put in their homelands.

I think it is completely and absolutely natural for any group of people to be interested in their own continued survival, and in continuing to hold the lands they've traditionally held. Particularly the lands which literally gave birth to them (Europe in this case.) I don't think there's anything "racist" about what I'm saying. And with regard to this article, this thread? I think it's also completely natural to favor your own offspring over other peoples' and to want to retain your "privilege" within your own nations. I'm amazed that even needs to be noted.

This is literally the situation, and I find it head-explodingly absurd:

You've got one group on the planet who were a third of the world population about 100 years ago, they're now closing in on being 5% - they are the only group which has a birth rate absolutely vanquished by feminism (and admittedly selfishness and luxury, too.) They are currently very busy about the projects of simultaneously opening their borders in nearly every country they hold, while they also deploy all the most advanced technologies they wield to increase the numbers of other groups in the world, making their market share of the global gene pool smaller still. They are also the only group which has implemented programs to give preference to everyone except themselves for jobs, school admissions, grants, you name it. So they're effectively doing the following things all at the same time:

1.) Failing to reproduce at levels which replace their numbers
2.) Helping to create more of every other group
3.) Placing massive incentives to immigrate to their nations (affirmative action, social welfare programs, higher standard of living) in front of the resulting increased numbers of other people...
4.) And finally, opening their borders to let the inevitable play out.

I don't believe there is any way any other group would be this suicidal. Head on over to China, Africa, Arabia, India, or South America (which I realize has plenty of whites too, but I'm referring to the areas still largely populated by Amerindians) and see how much traction you get with notions like "race is a social construct" and "you should feel bad for your Asian privilege" or "open your borders to less successful nations!" - look into how rigorously Mexico, ironically, controls their southern border for one example.

So yea, I do think there is a growing uneasiness among a lot of white people in the US, in the EU, and in Oceania about all of this... and I can't imagine why anyone would feel that was unreasonable on those peoples' part.

It's very easy to just say "You are teh racist!" but again, I don't see how that's the case. If someone thinks what I'm saying in this post is "racist" I would really appreciate you laying out for me why you believe that. If what I'm saying is "racist" to you, then almost everyone on the planet is an enormous racist by that definition. Is anyone naive enough to think that in-group preference has somehow been extinguished from the planet? The only place any effort has really even been made to reduce it is in those traditionally white nations I mentioned. I'm not saying anything about one group of people being better or worse than another, I'm merely saying all groups have the right to homelands and continued existence. Isn't that "diversity" after all?

On one hand, i'm really shocked that geosurface is allowed to post his racist drivel (especially after he almost got permbanned for racism before), but OTOH, I wish conservatives were more honest about their racism so they'd reveal their true selves.

Apr 27, 2012
hahaha, I love the faux rage by the OP about drivel articles full of pseudo science and assumptions. All written by left wing idiots of course.

Good stuff :)

Agree. This is just nonsense and an attack on the Free Market which is wrong. Affirmative action is wrong and the government has no right to tell companies who to hire.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Agree. This is just nonsense and an attack on the Free Market which is wrong. Affirmative action is wrong and the government has no right to tell companies who to hire.

When incorruptible agrees with you, you basically lost the argument.

Please defend the free market. Republicans (mis)use Asians to castigate blacks and hispanics when in reality Asians are HEAVILY discriminated in the market. How do you defend free market meritocracy when statistically speaking, Asians don't get rewarded for hard work like they should?

Of Asian Americans, 52.4% are college graduates, while the national average is 29.9%.[6] The Asian American population accounts for about 4.8% of the U.S. population,[7] but only 0.3% of corporate office populations.[8] In New York, Asian Americans have the highest number of associates at top New York law firms, yet the lowest conversion rate to partner.[9] Even in fields where Asian Americans are highly represented, such as the Silicon Valley software industry, they comprise a disproportionately small percentage of upper management and board positions.[2] Statistics show that 1 out of 3 or one-third of all software engineers in the Silicon Valley being Asian, they make up only 6% of board members and 10% of corporate officers of the Bay Area's 25 largest companies and at the National Institutes of Health, where 21.5% of scientists are Asians, they make up only 4.7% of the lab and branch directors.[10] According to a study of the 25 largest Bay Area companies 12 had no Asian board members, and five had no Asian corporate officers.[11]

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
On one hand, i'm really shocked that geosurface is allowed to post his racist drivel (especially after he almost got permbanned for racism before), but OTOH, I wish conservatives were more honest about their racism so they'd reveal their true selves.

At least he is honest about being a White Nationalist. It makes it easier for me to not take him seriously.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You've got one group on the planet who were a third of the world population about 100 years ago, they're now closing in on being 5% - they are the only group which has a birth rate absolutely vanquished by feminism (and admittedly selfishness and luxury, too.)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH *gasps** BAHAHAHAHAHAHHhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wow.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I gotta say, reading the article makes me wanna join the asian american networking group at work ^_^

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Thank god for race-centered groups and coalitions like the OP's source. As a white upper-middle class male with no handicaps or disabilities, it is hard to keep up with all of the people I am supposed to hate or keep down at any given time. Lefties make this daunting task extremely easy, by constantly being hung-up on skin color.

I think what is going on here is that other minority groups have their victim-card arguments countered by people pointing to Asian Americans as a group that thrives in this culture. Often times they come over here with absolutely no ties to the community, no grasp of the language, no "connections", and somehow find a way to be successful.

Somehow they feel if they can drive a wedge between the "white" and Asian-American communities, it will help their cause of constantly reminding people of horrible events from previous centuries, that nobody here was alive to experience.

Native Mexicans were raped and pillaged by the Spaniards. Hell, here in California, elementary school kids go on field trips to explore the concentrate..I mean...."missions" that were used to convert natives, as if those are something to be proud of.

Ask the Chinese how the railroads in this country were built.

Ask the Japanese how fun it was being rounded up and sent to camps during WWII.

History is littered with atrocities, and slavery and indentured slavery and segregation that followed are all part of it. But there isn't anything we can do about them now. Adding even more skin-based racism, like Affirmative Action, is not what our children should be exposed to.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
When incorruptible agrees with you, you basically lost the argument.

Please defend the free market. Republicans (mis)use Asians to castigate blacks and hispanics when in reality Asians are HEAVILY discriminated in the market. How do you defend free market meritocracy when statistically speaking, Asians don't get rewarded for hard work like they should?

When phokus disagrees with you, you basically won the argument.

America was built on the Free Market. The government has no right to tell employers who to hire. Your post is complete BS but if it's true then what's the solution? Force businesses to hire minorities?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
This is what passes as conservative arguments? Really? "These arguments are dumb/the source is dumb/i'm not going to point out flaws or any sort of counterarguments, so i'm taking my ball and going home

You're the clueless one, the article is about whites who SUPPOSEDLY support meritocracy based on princple, but it turns out they don't.

You are a freaking idiot and illiterate, the article is about discrimination and the lost of meritocracy in the name of diversity and affirmative action.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why don't you guys try critiquing the actual study instead of the website which happens to describe it?

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the methodology. Nor am I especially surprised at the result. Hence, I see no point whatsoever in these irrelevant remarks about the OP's link.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
How can you quickly peruse?

"perusing present participle of pe·ruse (Verb)
Verb
Read thoroughly or carefully.
Examine carefully or at length."

lol :oops: For some reason I think of perusing I think of sampling books at a store or assorted browsing at the library.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Regarding your reference to my post I do not care. I don't care what race is applying. If someone is a better applicant they should get the position.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Why don't you guys try critiquing the actual study instead of the website which happens to describe it?

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the methodology. Nor am I especially surprised at the result. Hence, I see no point whatsoever in these irrelevant remarks about the OP's link.

I haven't had a chance to read it in its entirety but I may see a problem, several actually but the worst is using a sample inclined to be biased by situation (student) then used as explanation for a group which doesn't have that pressure (those who actually approve applicants). That latter group does not have the psychological impact of losing out in grad school or have a contemporary who may. What's being measured? The influence of race or the impact of personal conflict of those under pressure? There are no controls which differentiate that I see.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

The study completely ignores why the UC made these changes, it was done to get around the ban on AA. It was specifically done to LOWER the number of WHITE and Asian admission and to raise black and Hispanic admissions.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Maybe its because college isn't job training, its academia. They are good at academia - congrats. This helps them in a job how, exactly? You have to create value for the company if you want a promotion.

Apr 27, 2012
Maybe its because college isn't job training, its academia. They are good at academia - congrats. This helps them in a job how, exactly? You have to create value for the company if you want a promotion.

Don't expect the race baiters to understand this. In their world all the whites are racist and persecuting the poor minorities.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Regarding your reference to my post I do not care. I don't care what race is applying. If someone is a better applicant they should get the position.

Asian s discrimination is a consequence of rule of the mediocres
that is the basic law even amongst whites.

In a given group the mediocres will always unite to get rid
of the ones that seems to be the most brillants as they know
that they will trust all the good places.

Once the best ones are discarded the remaining competitors
will have each more chance to acceess a good position that
otherwise was promised to the said best ones.

It work like this in any society and race is only a cover
argument even for thoses who make choices according
to this caracteristic as the end of all is that each human
is racist in respect of all other humans whatever their
skin or name , it s just that being less racist with the
people that are seemingly of your side is just a strategy
to advance your own agenda.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/SCOTUS/story?id=7393908&page=1

The real least shocking thing ever, whites denied the recognition they deserve, because they were white.

From that article:

Matt Marcarelli, who is white, got the top score on a promotion exam in 2003 and was first in line for captain. But when the city reviewed all the test results, it found that the pass rate for black candidates was about half the corresponding rate for white candidates. None of the black firefighters scored well enough for an immediate promotion. As a result, the city threw out the test results.

But Victor Bolden, the city's lawyer, supported the decision to scrap the tests. "It looked like the exam might have been discriminatory against some of the minority test takers. And that was certainly a red flag for the city under the law."

I don't understand how a test for a fireman position could somehow be discriminatory against a specific race (or races). Is there some sort of testable, innate, firefighting-related knowledge that only non-minorities possess?

Last edited:

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Not a single white person in my entire company, they tend to be lazy and unreliable.

Free market agrees. Asians make more $, are more educated, and have lower unemployment than whites.

Obviously free market is saying Asian > White.