Study proves liberal profs discriminate

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You're right: I routinely tell the truth, which is something you don't do.

That is not what you claimed in the last post. You asked (paraphrased) if I do as you routinely do and I said no. If you do not want an answer, you should not ask a question.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That is not what you claimed in the last post. You asked (paraphrased) if I do as you routinely do and I said no. If you do not want an answer, you should not ask a question.
You're doing it again. You seem to be a slow learner.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The lefties are sure doing everything they can to derail a reasonable political thread.
Once you have a link to the actual study, then you may have a reasonable political thread. For now you have a propaganda piece by the Washington Times. It's like trying to have a useful discussion about UFOs based solely on the National Enquirer.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yes, there is another thread on that. Stop derailing this thread, it is against forum rules to do so.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Posting an insult - a trend you should stop due to the new rules.

Yes, there is another thread on that. Stop derailing this thread, it is against forum rules to do so.
"Stop derailing this thread, it is against forum rules to do so."

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
During high school and undergrad I frequently got into political debates with professors/teachers and I can only think of two occasions where I suspect my grade suffered for it so I'm skeptical that this a widespread problem. My larger concern is that many teachers do not do a particularly good job of articulating the differences between different political philosophies, especially ones they personally disagree with.

So what you are saying is that on at least 2 occasions in your academic career a professor/teacher deliberately gave you a lower grade because of your political opinion? You seem to think this is perfectly acceptable. My own experience is markedly worse, but no political discrimination should be condoned.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You were in the social psychology department?

This is pretty nonsense Mono, but sadly not unusual.

1. Take a pre-conceived bias (liberals are actually secretly intolerant)
2. Find a very narrow study which barely supports your pre-conceived bias
3. Apply as general rule to rest of world
4. Pre-conceived bias supported...winnar!

I ran across this while surfing and from your name I thought you might like it. It's about 80 episodes of Rocky and Bullwinkle along with their friends Boris and Natasha, Dudley, Peabody, Sherman and Fractured Fairy Tales. Enjoy.

http://sagaciousiconoclast.blogspot.ca/2012/07/rocky-bullwinkle.html

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Conservatism is anti-intellectual by its very own reactionary nature.

No big surprise.

And are amateurs and latecomers by comparison to the anti-intellectual mentality that has been propagated thru television and movies (Hollywood) and has become part of American culture.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Jesus fucking christ dude, why are you so adamantly against using the search function? I guarantee the next time this comes up one of the same usual culprits will say "LINKZ PLZ" as always. I will do this one last time. By the way this is not one study of media bias, this is one of many that all come to basically the same conclusion.

http://jonathanstray.com/papers/Media Bias in Presidential Elections.pdf

Now since you're a fan of peer reviewed research you will surely be reconsidering your stance on media bias, right? Haha, who am I kidding. I fully await your excuses as to why this one doesn't count.

There are studies that find liberal bias as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There are studies that find liberal bias as well.

Not really.

While there was that one UCLA study that conservatives frequently trot out, it used really horrible methodology that led to baffling conclusions and has been widely discredited. (for example their methods put the ACLU to the right of the NRA)

There has been a great deal of study on media bias as it is a contentious issue, the weight of empirical studies on the matter strongly favors that of minimal to no systemic bias. The problem with this is that conservatives have believed so strongly in media bias for so long that they are very hostile to evidence that shows this not to be the case.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Not really.

While there was that one UCLA study that conservatives frequently trot out, it used really horrible methodology that led to baffling conclusions and has been widely discredited. (for example their methods put the ACLU to the right of the NRA)

There has been a great deal of study on media bias as it is a contentious issue, the weight of empirical studies on the matter strongly favors that of minimal to no systemic bias. The problem with this is that conservatives have believed so strongly in media bias for so long that they are very hostile to evidence that shows this not to be the case.

Wikipedia mentions others.

In a survey conducted by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.[24] This leaves 24% undecided or Independent.

A 2002 study by Jim A. Kuypers of Dartmouth College, Press Bias and Politics, investigated the issue of media bias. In this study of 116 mainstream US papers, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle, Kuypers stated that the mainstream press in America tends to favor liberal viewpoints. They argued that reporters who they thought were expressing moderate or conservative points of view were often labeled as holding a minority point of view. Kuypers said he found liberal bias in reporting a variety of issues including race, welfare reform, environmental protection, and gun control.[25]

A joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism found that viewers believe that liberal media bias can be found in television news by networks such as CNN.[26] These findings concerning a perception of liberal bias in television news – particularly at CNN – are also reported by other sources.[27]

It also lists the problems with the UCLA study.

Nov 30, 2006
Not really.

So...Fox News is not biased?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wikipedia mentions others.

It also lists the problems with the UCLA study.

Well the first one doesn't really show anything, it is attempting to critique members of the media as opposed to what they produce. Since their outcomes are all that matter, I find that unpersuasive.

I haven't read that other book, but my point was different. It's not that there is no scholarly analysis that concludes there is liberal media bias, it is that the major majority of analysis says there is not. There is actually quite a bit of evidence for media bias, but not in a left/right scale. (the media in America tends to be biased in favor of actions by the government, it favors institutions, etc)

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I haven't read that other book, but my point was different. It's not that there is no scholarly analysis that concludes there is liberal media bias, it is that the major majority of analysis says there is not. There is actually quite a bit of evidence for media bias, but not in a left/right scale. (the media in America tends to be biased in favor of actions by the government, it favors institutions, etc)

How do you prove that?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How do you prove that?

Well first of all you do so through meta-analysis like the link that I shared. Meta-analysis is basically a 'study of studies'. Secondly you can go look at the literature yourself if you don't believe me.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
What's next? A study proves water is wet? Social sciences (and political) are a rat's nest of left-leaning persons

Yep. In many of my classes at the uni (both undergrad and masters), you had to make sure to keep any non leftist thoughts to yourself lest you get screwed over by the intolerant left profs. This is not news at all, and it's the same in the general media.