Study proves liberal profs discriminate

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
As we've seen many times, as with the OP & the cited study, conservatives usually reach their conclusions first, then bolster belief with "facts", the opposite of the scientific method.

Besides that, as Colbert famously noted, facts have a liberal bias.

Says the guy who has repeatedly post charts that contradicted his views

see

1.) Blaming Reagan for the lack in rise in wages vs GDP. Then posting a chart that showed this started in the 1970s to prove this.

2.) Blaming Bush for the Housing Bubble. While posting a chart showing that the housing bubble was already the largest in history in 2001 when Bush took office.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I sincerely doubt anyone is oppressing the "poor christians" of the USA, i think that it might have something to do with the retarded idiots wanting to legislate christian morality.

You mean except for the liberals legislating the everyone be forced to subsidize non christian morality?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
2.) Blaming Bush for the Housing Bubble. While posting a chart showing that the housing bubble was already the largest in history in 2001 when Bush took office.

1.) It wasn't the largest housing bubble in history. Case-Schiller had been higher in the past, just not on that chart.

2.) Why on earth would the presence of inflated housing in 2001 absolve Bush of the continuing bubble inflation for the next half decade under him? The majority of the bubble took place on his watch, therefore he gets the majority of the blame.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
1.) It wasn't the largest housing bubble in history. Case-Schiller had been higher in the past, just not on that chart.

2.) Why on earth would the presence of inflated housing in 2001 absolve Bush of the continuing bubble inflation for the next half decade under him? The majority of the bubble took place on his watch, therefore he gets the majority of the blame.

1.) But it was the highest on the chart he posted.

2.) Sounds like the argument Republicans make about Obama and the economy ;) And it makes the housing bubble part of the Internet bubble that started on Clinton. Only that 1/2 of it popped in 2000 and half popped in 2008. I wonder what would have been the result if both had popped (although housing would have been smaller) at the same time?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So there I was in a Business College seminar with the profs (3) disseminating conservative beliefs to support their contention that deregulation always lead to higher profits; a very good thing indeed.

And then some wet-behind-the-ears student asks if there was a corresponding increase in shoddy product quality, less consumer choices, higher incidences of monopolizing and price fixing, etc.

The profs were dumbfounded for a few awkward seconds, looked at each other, gave a "stink-eye" stare at the now frightened student, had a short huddle and declared that the topic the student (who was now hastily leaving the seminar) brought up was a separate issue and not allowed for discussion. What a show of diversity, yeah?

Sort'a works both ways depending on what college we find ourselves in, don't it?

The college my daughter grad from which is located within a mile from the Stock Exchange also espoused a conservative point of view, which could also be attributed to most church owned schools/colleges too. I'm not knocking either except to point out the fact that this so-called liberal bias that colleges have is not all encompassing nor are they "nurseries for communist propaganda".

All we have to point to is the fact that our public schools and universities crank out just as many conservatives as liberals, generally speaking. And that it's not so much the experiences we have in our schools that shape our political leanings but rather what we experience at home, in our neighborhoods and much more so, what we experience after we leave the, shall we say, "sheltered" life of academia.

You must have missed this in the article.
In 2011, Mr. Haidt addressed this very issue at a meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology — the same group that Mr. Inbar and Mr. Lammer surveyed. Mr. Haidt’s talk, “The Bright Future of Post-Partisan Social Psychology,” caused a stir. The professor, whose new book “The Righteous Mind” examines the moral roots of our political positions, asked the nearly 1,000 academics and students in the room to raise their hands if they were liberals. Nearly 80 percent of the hands went up. When he asked whether there were any conservatives in the house, just three hands — 0.3 percent — went up.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

I guess conservatives should try harder to get into school instead of whining about how unfair it is. Oh no, we'll run into people that have different opinions then us, we better make a bunch of bible colleges and pretend they are just as good.

Last edited:

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Conservatism is anti-intellectual by its very own reactionary nature.

No big surprise.

Plus we see how intellectual reactionary and tolerant the left has been about attacking people who serve tasty chicken sandwiches.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Plus we see how intellectual reactionary and tolerant the left has been about attacking people who serve tasty chicken sandwiches.

Yes, tasty little chunks of bigotry.

24495172.jpg

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Just as tolerant as the right has been with JCP when they had the audacity to show a picture of a gay couple.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

24495172.jpg

Just because you do not think marriage has any purpose other than extorting benefits from the government for your temporary relationship does not mean you have to be so bigoted towards those who do.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Just because you do not think marriage has any purpose other than extorting benefits from the government for your temporary relationship does not mean you have to be so bigoted towards those who do.

:rolleyes;

The failed logic in the old racist fallacy of "you are bigoted to us poor bigots" has been explained a countless times you misogynistic creepo. I don't have time to repeat what you are too dim to comprehend for the millionth time.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1.) But it was the highest on the chart he posted.

2.) Sounds like the argument Republicans make about Obama and the economy ;) And it makes the housing bubble part of the Internet bubble that started on Clinton. Only that 1/2 of it popped in 2000 and half popped in 2008. I wonder what would have been the result if both had popped (although housing would have been smaller) at the same time?

1.) So your argument is that you're both wrong now? Okay.

2.) If they are making that argument, they are stupid. This isn't a case of Bush coming into office and suddenly having the housing bubble burst, this is him coming into a housing bubble and watching it continue to inflate for an entire presidential term.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
1.) So your argument is that you're both wrong now? Okay.

2.) If they are making that argument, they are stupid. This isn't a case of Bush coming into office and suddenly having the housing bubble burst, this is him coming into a housing bubble and watching it continue to inflate for an entire presidential term.

1.) No my argument is if you post a chart it should not contradict your claims. Which was the point I was making

2.) But you want to have popped the housing bubble. What do you think would have happened if you combine popping the largest housing bubble in history along with the Internet bubble at the same time?

EDIT:
case-shiller-chart-updated.png

Add chart showing that it was already the biggest housing bubble in history in 2001

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

24495172.jpg

A CEO stated his personal opinion that has long been known to be a Christian is Pro family (not shocking) and that equals Bigotry?

You progressives take that make it into something it isn't and the witch hunt begins. Accept it backfires and they have there biggest sales day ever by leaps and bounds.

The level of HATE the other side showed was grotesque. And by Definition biggoted.

How many companies have come out pro gay marriage and had the same backlash? yea... Double standard. Aren't they Bigots as well?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
A CEO stated his personal opinion that has long been known to be a Christian is Pro family (not shocking) and that equals Bigotry?

The bigotry is thinking that marriage has a purpose other extorting benefits from the government for your temporary relationship partner.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Just as tolerant as the right has been with JCP when they had the audacity to show a picture of a gay couple.

Sorry I don't know what your talking about. I doubt if they went to JCP and threw stones at the workers coming out for the night. Or exploded at a clerk like Adam Smith did.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry I don't know what your talking about. I doubt if they went to JCP and threw stones at the workers coming out for the night. Or exploded at a clerk like Adam Smith did.

Or tried to stop JCP from opening new stores.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Good point. Now let's go to a conservative religious college or highly rated business college and ask those students there the same thing.

I think we'd also have to consider the fact that because many of those student's convictions aren't fully matured, any number of them will either raise or keep lowered their hands depending on what the majority of students are doing in the room for fear of being seen as "against the norm".

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Interesting to see that in this peer reviewed study that the more extreme and liberal you are the more likely you are to deny your willingness to discriminate, something you see often on this forum.

Is the opposite of diversity, university?

This was just a good article that closely mirrored my own experience in college, it was refreshing to see it confirmed in a peer reviewed study.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/1/liberal-majority-on-campus-yes-were-biased/

The more liberal, the more intolerant of intolerance. So what else is new?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1.) No my argument is if you post a chart it should not contradict your claims. Which was the point I was making

2.) But you want to have popped the housing bubble. What do you think would have happened if you combine popping the largest housing bubble in history along with the Internet bubble at the same time?

EDIT:
case-shiller-chart-updated.png

Add chart showing that it was already the biggest housing bubble in history in 2001

There is a massive difference between popping a bubble and continuing to contribute to it. The idea that Bush needed to do that is silliness.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Good point. Now let's go to a conservative religious college or highly rated business college and ask those students there the same thing.

So wait a minute a conservative religious college will be filled with conservatives ^_^

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
There is a massive difference between popping a bubble and continuing to contribute to it. The idea that Bush needed to do that is silliness.

So you think he should have some how managed to make the largest real estate bubble in history plateau?

Is there any historical precedence for being able to do this?

Hint: Try looking at the bubbles in the 70s and 80s.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
As we've seen many times, as with the OP & the cited study, conservatives usually reach their conclusions first, then bolster belief with "facts", the opposite of the scientific method.

Kinda like the Global Warming crowd? :)

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
A CEO stated his personal opinion

They stated a personal bigoted opinion in public, so they get called out for it. It's quite simple, except to apologists to bigotry, then I am sure it feels like you are being attacked. Because you are.

You stand on others toes -expect someone to shove you off of others personal rights and liberty.

It's a old American tradition, not that you all know anything of these things.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So you think he should have some how managed to make the largest real estate bubble in history plateau?

Is there any historical precedence for being able to do this?

Hint: Try looking at the bubbles in the 70s and 80s.

The internet bubble popped in late 2000. That doesn't mean you have to let a housing bubble inflate for six additional years in order to counteract its effect.

I'm not sure what you aren't understanding here.