Study proves liberal profs discriminate

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Interesting to see that in this peer reviewed study that the more extreme and liberal you are the more likely you are to deny your willingness to discriminate, something you see often on this forum.

Is the opposite of diversity, university?

This was just a good article that closely mirrored my own experience in college, it was refreshing to see it confirmed in a peer reviewed study.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/1/liberal-majority-on-campus-yes-were-biased/

Here's a study from the National Association of Scholars about CA univiersities.

This study concludes the same view in that the level of political bias in CA universities is becoming a determent and hindrance to higher education in addition to hurting open and well reasoned scholarly debate.

"A CRISIS OF COMPETENCE"

http://www.nas.org/images/documents...ign=CAS+report+press+release&utm_medium=email

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's a study from the National Association of Scholars about CA univiersities.

This study concludes the same view in that the level of political bias in CA universities is becoming a determent and hindrance to higher education in addition to hurting open and free scholarly debate.

"A CRISIS OF COMPETENCE"

http://www.nas.org/images/documents...ign=CAS+report+press+release&utm_medium=email

Just so people aren't fooled by the name, the National Association of Scholars is a right wing advocacy group, not some sort of impartial observer.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
During high school and undergrad I frequently got into political debates with professors/teachers and I can only think of two occasions where I suspect my grade suffered for it so I'm skeptical that this a widespread problem. My larger concern is that many teachers do not do a particularly good job of articulating the differences between different political philosophies, especially ones they personally disagree with.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It's been linked to by me personally probably at least half a dozen times. It's also not just one study, it's a number of them. (and duh, meta-analysis is by definition many studies considered together)

Same old, same old. You shoulda , woulda, coulda posted it previously. Nice try.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Generally speaking, the more liberal the respondent, the more willingness to discriminate and, paradoxically, the higher the assumption that conservatives do not face a hostile climate in the academy.

Accurate for this thread and accurate for this forum.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
During high school and undergrad I frequently got into political debates with professors/teachers and I can only think of two occasions where I suspect my grade suffered for it so I'm skeptical that this a widespread problem. My larger concern is that many teachers do not do a particularly good job of articulating the differences between different political philosophies, especially ones they personally disagree with.

The problem is that such debates are really just entertainment and are pointless.

Plus, they're typically held by young kids who have no life experience.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Of course. Liberals love to say they are tolerant...when it is a lie. They claim the meaning of tolerance is being intolerant of the views of others...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Same old, same old. You shoulda , woulda, coulda posted it previously. Nice try.

I'm sorry that you are so inept at using basic forum software that you are unable to use the search function. That is your problem however, not mine.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The lefties are sure doing everything they can to derail a reasonable political thread.

Jun 26, 2007
Of course. Liberals love to say they are tolerant...when it is a lie. They claim the meaning of tolerance is being intolerant of the views of others...

I think what you meant to say was "they don't want Christianities version of sharia to be the law of the land and it makes me sad".

I sincerely doubt anyone is oppressing the "poor christians" of the USA, i think that it might have something to do with the retarded idiots wanting to legislate christian morality.

Being intolerant of intolerance means you are tolerant, if you cannot figure out how that works you should return your brain to your mother, she should put it in her womb and give it back when it's fully developed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The lefties are sure doing everything they can to derail a reasonable political thread.

Nope, it's certainly a reasonable thread and if you can find the linked study I'd like to read it. I again reiterate my excitement for your embrace of peer reviewed research, however. :) It's nice to see you trending away from a quasi-religious embrace of the conservative worldview into the area of actual empirical study.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So, no single conservative exists that hasn't "unjustly" discriminated against everyone else?

If the discrimination isn't illogical it isn't conservative discrimination.

If a person who hasn't discriminated worse than anyone else claims he's a conservative, he's the equivalent of a RINO?

As long as he's illogical he's a true conservative.

I smell "no true Scottsman" here.

The application of "Scot" in this case is tied to methodology used by the Scot. Otherwise we'd be applying labels at random to every proposition:

"The world is 6000 years old."
Let's call this belief a liberal one!

"The world is 6001 years old."
Uhhhh... conservative? Yeah, that's it!

"The world is 6002 years old."
Libertarian? Sure, why not?

"The world is 6003 years old."
Hmmmm.... liberal again?
6000: "No, fuck you, 6000 is the only True Liberalism! I will kill all 6003 believers in the name of my One True God as my Holy Book commands!"

See? It just doesn't work to tie the labels to beliefs in an absolute sense irrespective of underlying method.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Nope, it's certainly a reasonable thread and if you can find the linked study I'd like to read it. I again reiterate my excitement for your embrace of peer reviewed research, however. :) It's nice to see you trending away from a quasi-religious embrace of the conservative worldview into the area of actual empirical study.

Post a link to your peer reviewed study of media bias.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Post a link to your peer reviewed study of media bias.

Jesus fucking christ dude, why are you so adamantly against using the search function? I guarantee the next time this comes up one of the same usual culprits will say "LINKZ PLZ" as always. I will do this one last time. By the way this is not one study of media bias, this is one of many that all come to basically the same conclusion.

http://jonathanstray.com/papers/Media Bias in Presidential Elections.pdf

Now since you're a fan of peer reviewed research you will surely be reconsidering your stance on media bias, right? Haha, who am I kidding. I fully await your excuses as to why this one doesn't count.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Jesus fucking christ dude, why are you so adamantly against using the search function? I guarantee the next time this comes up one of the same usual culprits will say "LINKZ PLZ" as always. I will do this one last time. By the way this is not one study of media bias, this is one of many that all come to basically the same conclusion.

http://jonathanstray.com/papers/Media Bias in Presidential Elections.pdf

Now since you're a fan of peer reviewed research you will surely be reconsidering your stance on media bias, right? Haha, who am I kidding. I fully await your excuses as to why this one doesn't count.

I haven't read it yet, but do you seriously think that a single peer reviewed study ends all debate on a subject? Seriously ?

and at the the abstract for your meta study (starting in 1948....yes folks the study includes as far back as 1948) that their is measurable bias in the broadcast industry. This also ties nicely into the discrimination paper that began this journey in my opening post. Thanks Eskimo.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I haven't read it yet, but do you seriously think that a single peer reviewed study ends all debate on a subject? Seriously ?

No, did you read my post? It is one of many. More importantly however, this is a meta-analysis which is an excellent start for someone trying to understand what the literature says about a topic.

I have absolutely zero doubt that you will not allow any of this to shake your religious faith in liberal media bias. At the same time you will continue to cite other studies that happen to agree with you on topics as authoritative reasons why you are correct.

Jun 26, 2007

You do realize that posting an opinion study and declaring victory immediately after neither makes you reasonable nor sane?

I don't think you want a discussion, i think you want agreement and nothing else.

That fecker nehelem was the one derailing the thread but he's on "your side" (god i hope not, do you really want wannabe pedophiles on your side?) so not a word to him about it is spoken.

I'm sorry but you're as transparent as a pair of nylon panties and the view is a as pretty as if they were worn by a 96 year old woman.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not really, Blacks refers to a race (one of the major human genetic clusters, made up of people of Sub-Saharan African ancestry) and is applied irrespective of skin color. There are Black albinos, however dark skin color is typical. Black is a euphemism for Negroid btw. (Also, note the capital "B".)

False. 'Between 5 and 7 percent of human genetic diversity is between subgroups within the classically defined races; 6 to 10 percent of the total human variation is between those groups that we think of as races in an everyday sense based on skin color. The remainder of the variation occurs at the individual level and cannot be categorized by group or subgroup.'

I suggest you read some current research on this, as you keep stating this crap thread after thread - and it simply is not what the scientific consensus is. There is no biological basis for your racism.

http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/race-finished

Jun 26, 2007
False. 'Between 5 and 7 percent of human genetic diversity is between subgroups within the classically defined races; 6 to 10 percent of the total human variation is between those groups that we think of as races in an everyday sense based on skin color. The remainder of the variation occurs at the individual level and cannot be categorized by group or subgroup.'

I suggest you read some current research on this, as you keep stating this crap thread after thread - and it simply is not what the scientific consensus is. There is no biological basis for your racism.

http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/race-finished

He's a fucking muppet, he can't read.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So there I was in a Business College seminar with the profs (3) disseminating conservative beliefs to support their contention that deregulation always lead to higher profits; a very good thing indeed.

And then some wet-behind-the-ears student asks if there was a corresponding increase in shoddy product quality, less consumer choices, higher incidences of monopolizing and price fixing, etc.

The profs were dumbfounded for a few awkward seconds, looked at each other, gave a "stink-eye" stare at the now frightened student, had a short huddle and declared that the topic the student (who was now hastily leaving the seminar) brought up was a separate issue and not allowed for discussion. What a show of diversity, yeah?

Sort'a works both ways depending on what college we find ourselves in, don't it?

The college my daughter grad from which is located within a mile from the Stock Exchange also espoused a conservative point of view, which could also be attributed to most church owned schools/colleges too. I'm not knocking either except to point out the fact that this so-called liberal bias that colleges have is not all encompassing nor are they "nurseries for communist propaganda".

All we have to point to is the fact that our public schools and universities crank out just as many conservatives as liberals, generally speaking. And that it's not so much the experiences we have in our schools that shape our political leanings but rather what we experience at home, in our neighborhoods and much more so, what we experience after we leave the, shall we say, "sheltered" life of academia.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Uh oh! Who spun up nehalem256's misogyny switch again?

There is no switch. It's hard-wired directly to the mains, with a battery backup & standby generator. It's like the "Minority" victimhood expressed by the authors of the study in the OP's link. When not wrapping themselves in the flag or self righteousness, Conservatives don the mantle of victimhood.

Conservatives often define themselves by being anti-science. There's really no place for young earth believers in the earth sciences or astronomy, for example. Anti-evolutionary beliefs preclude understanding of biology. Faith healers can't practice medicine effectively, because they believe only in prayer. conservatives don't really make good social scientists, because their beliefs are contrary to the data.

As we've seen many times, as with the OP & the cited study, conservatives usually reach their conclusions first, then bolster belief with "facts", the opposite of the scientific method.

Besides that, as Colbert famously noted, facts have a liberal bias.